Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK ...yes I'm new to all this so be nice..lol…..but I have an 02 TJ with a 2.5 and 31 in tires.....So I am not going to do any extreme off roading but I would like to put a mild 1.25 coil lift on it. Will it be necessary to change out my brand new shocks and any other parts??….I don't want to go much higher cause I'm old and tired and don't wanna climb up into it..lol lol..thanks

·
Registered
623 Posts
I did a small suspension lift like that - it's great, but I then wanted a pair of adjustable control arms to dial in the rear pinion angle, to eliminate the extra driveline noise immediately after the lift

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
OK ...yes I'm new to all this so be nice..lol…..but I have an 02 TJ with a 2.5 and 31 in tires.....So I am not going to do any extreme off roading but I would like to put a mild 1.25 coil lift on it. Will it be necessary to change out my brand new shocks and any other parts??….I don't want to go much higher cause I'm old and tired and don't wanna climb up into it..lol lol..thanks
Get a 1.25" body lift (under $100) and be done with it. Takes an hour or so to install and nothing else is needed. Pic of my Jeep with 31s and a BL.

Attachments

·
Registered
623 Posts
1.25 inches threw the rear end out that bad???

Yeah, these were upgraded springs, not spacers added to sagging factory springs, so it's really 1.25" above factory

I think H&R springs provide slightly less lift, so that would be the way to go if you want a spring upgrade without changing anything else - the body lift is still a great idea to fit larger tires

·
Registered
30 Posts
Excuse my ignorance in this area, but how do I know how much lift I have and if it is spring, body, control arm, etc.? I bought my '05 LJ used 2 weeks ago from a dealership and they had no details on it. I previously owned an '06 LJ but knew when I bought it that it had a Rancho lift (2.5 if I recall).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,633 Posts
Yeah, these were upgraded springs, not spacers added to sagging factory springs, so it's really 1.25" above factory

I think H&R springs provide slightly less lift, so that would be the way to go if you want a spring upgrade without changing anything else - the body lift is still a great idea to fit larger tires
have you changed out your driveshaft u-joints? they shouldnt be making any vibes with OEM arms and a >2" lift. my guess is at least one is on its way out.

most people have no issues with 2" springs and OEM arms.

·
Super Moderator
6,633 Posts
Excuse my ignorance in this area, but how do I know how much lift I have and if it is spring, body, control arm, etc.? I bought my '05 LJ used 2 weeks ago from a dealership and they had no details on it. I previously owned an '06 LJ but knew when I bought it that it had a Rancho lift (2.5 if I recall).
measure the coils, OEM were 12" front and 8" rear with the weight of the jeep on the tires.

post pics of shocks, control arms, track bar, steering, body mounts, etc and we'll likely be able to narrow it down to the manufacturer

·
Super Moderator
6,633 Posts
Most people with manual have no issues with 2" springs - the auto's longer driveline is more sensitive - also, I don't know if I had an "issue," I just didn't like the way it sounded
how much longer is the driveline?

which auto? which manual?

IIRC the largest difference between the biggest auto and smallest manual is ~1/2"

either way, myself and many others have had no issues with 2" lift and stock control arms with the 42RLE. its a regularly recommended lift for those that want to go to a 31"-32" tire while maintaining a quality ride without breaking the bank. while adjustable control arms are nice, they are not necessary for that height and its debatable if they are necessary at 3" of spring lift.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I also did the body lift, as Boogie suggested, so I'm running skinny 33s (also running an aftermarket swaybar)

Great set-up, the skinny 33s tuck inside the factory flares, 5.25" uptravel, no rubbing anywhere

·
Registered
30 Posts
measure the coils, OEM were 12" front and 8" rear with the weight of the jeep on the tires.

post pics of shocks, control arms, track bar, steering, body mounts, etc and we'll likely be able to narrow it down to the manufacturer
Looks like maybe 15 front and 10ish in back.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
so, yes, it is "level" with that set up. But it looks high in front compared to back. just a visual thing I know. But is it acceptable to put a different set of springs up front to get the standard look? Also, this thing drives much harsher than my prior Jeep. Feels very rough. Any way to soften that a little? I use this as a DD (maybe 10% offroad) and it's a bitch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts