Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just got my first Wrangler on Christmas Eve. So far it seems to be doing well...except for 2nd gear, but I guess that's pretty normal. Anyway, I've discovered two problems. The first, and most important, is that the ignition is somehow screwed up and can be operated by pretty much any key. Any ideas about what's wrong or how much that would cost to be fixed? Or is that something that could be done by yourself?

My second problem is with the ventilation system. The selector switch doesn't do anything. Regardless of whether you put it on your feet, windshield, top vents, it still seems like it's just blowing out from somewhere in the dash. What would/could cause this and, again, is this something I could fix myself, or should I even try?

·
Premium Member
3,221 Posts
Cant help you with the ignition but the blower issue is a common issue. Odds are you need a new resistor or as simple as a vacuum line popped off somewhere. JP magazine did a nice write up on what to do if its the resistor but I need to find the link.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
The ignition switch is worn out thats why just about any key will work, you will have to replace it to fix it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sounds like the blower is working fine, you just cant change the air flow. I would start by looking for a vacuum hose that is sucked flat or broken off. The one going into the firewall. If its good then its most likely the selector switch. As for the ign problem sounds like a bad lock cylinder.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
look upside down under the dash with the heat blowing and feel around for anything that may have came loose. Ducts back in there can get popped off from each other and blow air out in some random direction instead of out through the vents.

Sounds like the ignition (key switch) is wore out or was popped to try and steal it at one point in time. At least you do not have to worry about forgetting your keys andwhere! Just ask someone for theirs to start your jeep with!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts