Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've decided to go with the Teraflex 1.5" leveling kit along with Mammoth type 88 black wheels in 17x9. As I understand it, this is a good moderate set-up that will look good but not affect the stock ride that much. No wheel spacers needed nor any other issues...right?

My question now is what kind of 33" (285/70/R17) tires. I will not be mudding but maybe just some light trail usage. I've heard that BFGs, Falken Wildpeaks or Nitto Ridge Grapplers are recommended by Mammoth. I really want as close to a non-noisy, non-rough ride with tread longevity on streets mainly that look good. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
All of the three that you named will do what you want. I have the Falkens and like them.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Cooper ST MAXX.
Pretty quiet, works great on road, and good moderate off road.
Good mileage tire as well. I've got 41K on a set on a JK and they're still going strong.
I do not rock crawl. More of an overland style of offroading here.
Good in the rain, and upstate NY winters.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I can't say enough about the Falken Wildpeak AT3W's. I've had mine since they've come out and they've worn really well for the mileage. I'd buy based on your intended usage and what type of driving weather you encounter in your area. (I live in the upper midwest with cruddy slush, snow, and ice...and the tires haven't let me down yet)

·
Premium Member
6,754 Posts
I have the GY Duratracs, but not on my Chief - yet. They are on my TJ Rubicon and are far quieter than the BFG KMs that came on the Chief. I have not had any issues in bad weather with them, but I don't play in the rocks. (Rocks are an endangered specie is S. Georgia).

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I spent a bunch of time comparing:
  • Nitto Ridge Grapplers
  • Falken Wildpeak AT3W
  • Toyo AT3 (new)
Not sure where you are located. The Falkens seemed to have good performance reviews in snow. The Ridge Grapplers seem to have great reviews and are quiet. Both of these tires tend to be about the heaviest tire in their size group. For me going to 35s, that was something I had to consider.

I decided to go with the Toyos as I have had decent luck with them on some of our cars in the past. The Toyo AT3 is a new compound so I hope it won't be as bad in the winter as other Toyo AT tires are. Being in the same family as the Ridge Grapplers (Nitto and Toyo are sister companies), and similar tread, I figured I would get similar results and my mechanic has noted that Toyo has really taken some steps to improve their manufacturing and QC. Not sure about other companies, but Toyo now puts every tire on a balance and it must fall within their spec before sending out...at least that is what I was told.

·
Premium Member
6,754 Posts
Not only are they sister tires, despite their name, they are manufactured in the U.S. (North Georgia actually).

·
Super Moderator
14,913 Posts
So, I've decided to go with the Teraflex 1.5" leveling kit along with Mammoth type 88 black wheels in 17x9. As I understand it, this is a good moderate set-up that will look good but not affect the stock ride that much. No wheel spacers needed nor any other issues...right?

My question now is what kind of 33" (285/70/R17) tires. I will not be mudding but maybe just some light trail usage. I've heard that BFGs, Falken Wildpeaks or Nitto Ridge Grapplers are recommended by Mammoth. I really want as close to a non-noisy, non-rough ride with tread longevity on streets mainly that look good. Any suggestions?
The Falken AT3W is turning out to be a fantastic tire. But I would also suggest you add the Toyo AT3 in 285/70r17 to your list. The SL rated tire is going to ride much better than the others listed.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I'm running Cooper Discoverer AT3 285/75/17's. They are extremely quiet which I'm very sensitive about and wanted a quiet running tire. Also running a 2.5 AEV lift and the ride and handling are very good imo.

Don't have personal experience with their off road performance but they got excellent reviews. They also didn't cause me to go take out a loan to buy tires. lol

·
Registered
597 Posts
So I love my RGs but I refuse to drive them on Ice. Totally terrifying! I've ran countless tires on countless vehicles and they are the worst on ice IMO. In every other scenario I'm very pleased with my purchase. As mentioned above, I just had a set of the Cooper Discoverer XLTs delivered for my new Ram 2500 CTD. I think they will be perfect once UPS stops losing and or damaging my new wheels.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I'm running Cooper Discoverer AT3 285/75/17's. They are extremely quiet which I'm very sensitive about and wanted a quiet running tire. Also running a 2.5 AEV lift and the ride and handling are very good imo.

Don't have personal experience with their off road performance but they got excellent reviews. They also didn't cause me to go take out a loan to buy tires. lol

View attachment 4419327

My buddy has those too. Lasted a long time for him as well and pretty quiet to boot

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have Terra Grapplers, quiet and are wearing nicely

·
Registered
587 Posts
The ridge grapplers are on my shopping list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
My wife has falkens and they ride great on the road, don’t take her jku off-road. I have st maxx on my jku, quite and smooth but probably stiffer but it’s hard to compare a jk vs jku.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I’m going to be the one guy that will steer you away from ridge grapplers.i had them for 10k miles. They were quiet and performed good off-road in everything except mud, however they were terrible in rain. I switched to a wider mud terrain tire and they were significantly better on wet roads than the ridge grapplers. The Ridge grapplers hydroplaned constantly and would spin out while I was pulling out very easily. They came out of balance fast and even wore unevenly despite multiple chalk tests.

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,248 Posts
I have the Falkens and love them on the road, off road and in winter conditions. I am tempted to go with the Ridge Grapplers next time around - the people I know who have them like them and they are Made in the USA. The Falkens are made in Taiwan - that is the only thing I have against them

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
Interco TSL Boggers, all the way,,,, WHAT!!! I can't hear you.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts