Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the stock jack work with 31's and a 2" lift? If not, do you have any jack recommendations?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
You need the jeepers best friend- a Hi-lift (jack, winch and everything else in one). You'll never regret it

·
Knows a couple things...
49,410 Posts
The factory jack will lift a Jeep high enough to change a 35" tire, you don't need a Hi-Lift to change a Jeep's tires. Indeed, a Hi-Lift should only be considered as a last resort for tire changing duties.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
...... a Hi-Lift should only be considered as a last resort for tire changing duties.
The only place I can get a safe grab with my Hi-Lift is on my bumper or rock sliders. I would have to lift the body pretty high to get a wheel off the ground so it could be changed. And I doubt if I could do it without a spring falling out if I was on the trail with my sway bars disconnected.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
I'm with Jerry on this one. If I can avoid using my hi-lift just to change a tire then I do. I have to crank it almost all of the way up to get the tire off the ground and then it's not very stable at all. The stock jack under a control arm on the axle works perfectly.

Don't get me wrong. That bad boy has a helluva lot of uses on the trail. We've used them for everything from springs, hi-centered, come alongs, handle as a tie rod sleeve, and countless others. I however just don't like to have it on the pavement with that jack being the only thing supporting it.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Jerry, is so very correct. A high lift, is a very dangerous instrument. It has a lot of uses, but is not that necessary. A good winch, and your basic lift, from factory, is far safer. If you need more lift, under your axle, carry a 6" long 4X4 to make up the difference. Way more safer. Good call, Jerry!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Use a strap to hold the axle to the frame and the highlift to jack it up. It works great everytime. You do it your way and I'll do in mine.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,410 Posts
By the time you get your axle strapped to the frame so you can jack your TJ up, which I have done myself when using my Hi-Lift, I'll have my 35" tire off with the bottle jack. :)

Why are some people so stubborn about Hi-Lifts, insisting on using them even for changing tires? :confused:

·
Registered
529 Posts
I bought mine used, so I didn't have a factory jack, ie all I now carry is the high lift, but, I don't care to change tires with it, and If I can avoid it, I use my floor jack at home.

·
Registered
933 Posts
ok i just bought a wrangler. it has no jack what so ever. the jeep has a 9" suspension lift and a 1" body lift with 37" tires. so is someone gonna tell me to not use a Hi Jack as my only jack? is there something safer to change a tire with the set up i listed? yes i know hi jacks are great and all, they do this that and the other, but for me buying ONE jack and ONE jack only to use where ever i may need it, trail, street, where ever... what would you recommend ?

·
That WF guy.
21,557 Posts
ok i just bought a wrangler. it has no jack what so ever. the jeep has a 9" suspension lift and a 1" body lift with 37" tires. so is someone gonna tell me to not use a Hi Jack as my only jack? is there something safer to change a tire with the set up i listed? yes i know hi jacks are great and all, they do this that and the other, but for me buying ONE jack and ONE jack only to use where ever i may need it, trail, street, where ever... what would you recommend ?
get a good aftermarket bottle jack /// most aftermarket bottle jacks have an ajustable head that you can hieghten up to the axle before you jack

:wavey:

·
Registered
933 Posts
ok i just measured, i need 18" to get my tires off the ground enough to change them. mind you this is on level ground.

i would love a bottle jack to do this, but the higher they seem to pump up, the larger the actual size of jack.
(yes im familiar with the adjustable heads) i dont want to be carrying a 60 lb jack everywhere i go. guess i can always buy a smaller sized one and carry some 4x4 with me, but is that ideal?

what does anyone recommend?

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
A couple of 4x4 blocks as others have mentioned under the bottle jack shortens the distance to the axle and reduces the pumping required.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts