Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips for using Jack Stands with a lifted Jeep. The tallest lift from most decent jack stands is only 24". The frame on my Jeep is already 18" off the deck, and I think that there will probably be more than 6" of travel from the suspension when I jack the Jeep up. Any suggestions for how to get some extra height from the Jack Stands, or do you all think that 24" will be enough.

Ian

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
What are you looking to do?

If I'm rotating tires or doing brakes or whatnot, I just put the jack stand on the axle tube. That way I'm not having to account for suspension droop.

If you're looking to do suspension work where you need the axle to droop, you may be in a pickle.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are you looking to do?

If I'm rotating tires or doing brakes or whatnot, I just put the jack stand on the axle tube. That way I'm not having to account for suspension droop.

If you're looking to do suspension work where you need the axle to droop, you may be in a pickle.
Adjusting the parking brake. So I guess I could use the axle tube. If I do this though, then how do I Jack her up? If I raise up one side, I'll have to over raise it a lot with suspension droop before lowering it back down a bunch again. The only Jack I have is my Hi-Lift.

Ian

·
Registered
386 Posts
They make a wheel lift adapter for the hi lift jack. Maybe you could rig up something like that if you have a ratchet strap or something.
*disclaimer* may result in death

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
what jack are you using? i have 35s and my stock jack under the tube is enough to get the tire off the ground and a stand under the axle .

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
If you are using a hi-lift, just strap the axle tube to the frame beforehand.

You can easily make a 3" or higher - platform for your jackstands. Just screw together some scrap wood.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
425 Posts
If you use a floor jack and are on stable ground, place your jack under the pumkin and have the jack stand ready. You only need to lift like 1/2" from the ground to free the wheel. No big fall can happen. Or just lift enough to have the lowest position of your jack stand. And drop on jack stand right away. If you are on dirt, 3/4" strip of ply wood under floor jack and also under jack stand.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what jack are you using? i have 35s and my stock jack under the tube is enough to get the tire off the ground and a stand under the axle .

I don't have a stock jack, just the hi-lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you use a floor jack and are on stable ground, place your jack under the pumkin and have the jack stand ready. You only need to lift like 1/2" from the ground to free the wheel. No big fall can happen. Or just lift enough to have the lowest position of your jack stand. And drop on jack stand right away. If you are on dirt, 3/4" strip of ply wood under floor jack and also under jack stand.

I'm tempted to buy a floor jack, just so I can do that. Hard to hide from the wife though....

·
Registered
201 Posts
Buy The Floor Jack

Just buy the floor jack. It is going to cost $50 to $100 on the low end vs. possible death by crushing. It will make other tasks you have to do in the future much easier.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Buy a $20 two ton bottle Jack for jacking under the axle.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I got a 3 ton floor jack from Harbor Freight for about $100 and it is great.

Makes tire rotations and brake work a breeze. I bought it to do my lift, but I use it for everything now.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
look at a RV scissor jack. plenty of lift.

·
Super Moderator
21,961 Posts
get a floor jack. I have used my floor jack so many times over the years that it has to be one of the most used tools I have.

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
Pick up whatever HF floor jack has the tallest reach and while you are in the store, pick up a set of 4 ton jack stands and wheel chucks....for less than $200, the setup works great.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pick up whatever HF floor jack has the tallest reach and while you are in the store, pick up a set of 4 ton jack stands and wheel chucks....for less than $200, the setup works great.

My nearest HF is a hike.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

My nearest HF is a hike.

·
Super Moderator
21,961 Posts
many places sell floor jacks besides HF check your local Craigslist.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts