Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the heft of my JK, I lost all emotional attachment to it. So, it’s gone. And now it’s time to build a JL. It was named by a friend almost immediately. It’ll do for now. It’s named Turbo.

JL Sport S. Hard Top, remote start, headliner, technology group and the 2.0 turbo. Also purchased the Aux switches to install myself.

I can say I’m a believer. Everything is just better. A wrangler is no longer a compromise. It used to be that there were trade offs for being so capable off-road and taking top/doors off.

But this thing rides so freakin nice. It’s quiet inside. To quote my wife, it doesn’t “feel” like a vehicle where the doors come off.

And this turbo has some get up and go! Never expected anything like it from a Wrangler. And the steering is awesome. I don’t currently have any of the reported JL steering wandering.

I figured this time I’d start with a build thread when it was new. So here it is fresh, no mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few days after it was time for the first mod. The aux switch panel. Pretty straight forward install. Although it did require tearing out trim pieces and such. That’s always a little painful when a Jeep is new.

The install leaves a little cubby to left when you don’t have the rubicon sway bar disconnect and lockers. I think this would be a great opportunity for the aftermarket to add their own switch panel. The factory one is great I think, but I’m sure I’ll outgrow the four buttons.

In one of the pics you can also see the wiring is wrapped with the cloth stuff (name escapes me right now), which shows their attention to detail in the JL. This eliminates the squeaks and noises of wires rubbing on plastic.

The relays

Running the wire loom across the engine bay. Getting the zip ties through the wire channel behind it were a bit of a pain, but it looks great.

Ends over here. Wire up ground and positive. Run the rest down to wire inside.

You have to open the inner fender to get to the firewall grommet. But they give replacement POM rivets.

Pulled the wire through. Ran it into the center stack. Pulled all of it apart.

And the finished product. Still need to computer flashed to know it’s there.

I left off several steps. But CJ parr’s has an awesome video on the install. Very easy to follow.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome. I have 1 of 3 switches filled lol

I don’t have anything to hook up to them yet really. But I still want to get it programmed so I can play with the settings.

Well, I do have an arb compressor that was on board air for my JK. Trying to determine mounting in the JL.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hooked these up to AUX4. What a Joy! easiest part of an easy install.
View attachment 4093421

Too think I almost passed on the "Tow package" thinking it was same ol' sham - Glad I didn't.
Its definitely a worthy upgrade for sure! Had I ordered one, that would have been on the list.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is a ways away LOL
I am still following your build though :)

I’ll be glad to throw some Rancho stickers around here though. There are a ton of Jeeps in our area. Our club does a Jeep night every month, RTI ramp etc.

This was my last JK on our ramp. If you look closely, you can still see the spray painted front end from when it was stolen.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not really a build item, but put the windshield down for the first time. Just as advertised, super easy. I normally love ya big windshield lights. But I’m going to need a mounting solution that doesn’t interfere with this feature.

Anyone know if the Mopar light mounts move the light away enough?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another small mod. The antenna X 24”. I chose it due to it looking like a fire stick. It’s below the roof line, and I like the way it looks.

This weekend will be RGBW rock lights. Which is a little silly still being stock. But wheels/tires should be soon.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rock lights installed. Attached to the mopar aux switches. Love the switch programmability. These lights are pretty bright. Went with RGBW this time so that when used as actual rock lights, the white is better than regular RGB.

Need some real tires/wheels and lift to make the lights look better :).

This was a more lengthy install than planned. Pulled the inner fenders liner out on all four to help with running the wires. All run on top of frame areas and behind liner. So nothing to get snagged or anything.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts