Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The MC control arms, with their bushings, made a bigger impact on road feel than I would have expected. They feel great. And no more drop brackets.

But of course, to REALLY take advantage of them, I need some shock with actual travel. The aforementioned Mopar/Fox shocks were for 0-2" lift. The fronts only extended to 22.9 with a travel of approx. 8.5 inches.

So, next up, Rocksport shocks. So far, I have been very impressed with these. The cost is not bad at all.And they work great for my application.

I don't do crazy wheeling, more of mild wheeler. This is my every day vehicle. And I pay for it. However, I like to be prepared, and eventually it will be my toy once paid off. I do not have lockers, so the longer all tires can stay on the ground, the better.

Onto the pictures. With a note, there is another member there with a a 2 door JK, long arm lift, and coilovers. Even he was impressed with the articulation of the MC stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
This one is just a minor update. We have all had hood flutter at one point another. I knew I wanted to replace my stock hood latches. But none of the aftermarkets ones were really calling my name.

Enter the JL. Love the latches and the way they work. I was ecstatic to hear that they could be retrofitted. And cheaper than most aftermarket latches for the JK. Ordered and installed, took very little time. I only need to lengthen the holes on the hood a bit for adjustment.

Attachments

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Recently it was time to take Jeep (still no official name) on its inaugural vacation run. Lifted Jeep on the road for 8 hours. It did great, other than when their was a strong crosswind, lol.

Although I did discover that when having people in the back, the bottoming out I encountered offroad was even worse. It was a clunking noise. Needed to check it out further.

Had to find a parking spot that would allow me to flex!

Attachments

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Back from vacation, it was time to find the clunking noise. Turns out I had two issues. The first is relatively common with the Mopar 2" lift. The rear trackbar bracket can come into contact with the frame. That is picture one. Cut the corner off the frame, painted it, then cycled for testing. All good on that end.

Second issue was actually a new clunk from after putting on the MC arms, that was made more apparent when having back seat passengers. The new arms centered the rear axle in the rear wheel well. This caused the rear trackbar bold frame side to come in contact with the passenger side bump stop. A simple flip of the bolt orientation took care of that one.

Attachments

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
This update contains a couple fun things, and another evolution.

Stickers and MC hat, woohoo!

Plus, yet another radio change. The android unit started misbehaving. LOVED the screen size. But, bluetooth audio was delayed, especially with phone calls. The audio quality was still terrible, would need some form of DSP. The worst part being sometimes it just would not turn on. No amount of power pulling, or resetting would get it to do anything. Would have to wait a few hours, then it would start up fine again.

I suspect this is due to some internal maintenance routine going haywire. Like it reboots every so often, instead of just going into dormancy. Then it would get stuck in some kind of loop, instead of rebooting. Which had to timeout before coming back on.

Fortunately I had purchased the warranty with it. So, a VER quick claim process refunded my money. Ordered a new Pioneer with the money. Bigger screen than my original Pioneer. Mechless, who needs CDs now adays? Basically all I needed was something that would give me a great carplay experience. THis one does, Pioneer MVH-2400 NEX. It does also integrate with all the ODB stuff, as long as you use the Maestro-RR. So you get tire pressure, door open info and all the little gauges.

Attachments

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
This evolution has been another favorite. The last wheels I got were mostly to get the right backspacing and be cheap. But didn't have the rock ring protection feature that I wanted. I have scratched wheels offroad in the past. Call me a pansy, but I fully believe in offroading AND keeping your stuff pretty. You can do both!

I also needed more backspacing to accommodate my new shocks and their front relocation brackets. Brackets that keep the shock body from hitting the frame at full flex. These are Vision Nemesis 111 wheels. I strayed from my usually black. Went with a gray that somewhat matches the original mineral gray of the interior pieces. Such as my steering wheel still has.

I LOVE the way the look. More depth than just all black. I may, or may not, paint the rock protection rings chief blue. Haven't decided yet.

While putting the rings on, I noticed a loose breather tube. Im sure from new fancy flexing. Next up I will be extending those.

Attachments

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
An update I forgot to post a few ago. Keeping the Mopar springs with the MC arms and centering the axle caused an issue. A slight bowing in the rear springs. Plus I'm sure the Mopar springs don't have as much free length as MC springs. But I need to keep the Mopar to keep my MaxCare happy.

To solve this issue, I ordered the MC coil correction brackets and retainers. As with all their stuff, made very well, and took care of the issue. These are the prices paid for piecing together stuff, as opposed to buying a complete system.

You can also see my breather tube change, had to extend them due to all the crazy new flex.

Attachments

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Several updates on this one. Most of it stuff I got from Smokey Mountain Jeep Invasion.

Forever Wave flag mount and a USN flag. I also have my Jeep clubs flag on order. Love the system.

As an extravagance, I bought a set of LED RGB halo headlights. I went with Oracle because the ring was the largest in diameter, and did not have the white diffuser ring over the LEDs. So they are super bright. Love them. Will be doing rock lights next.

Also delivered while I was gone, was the MC stabilizer kit. This relocates it up out of the way, and hopefully stiffens up the steering a bit. I had a dual setup on my last jeep, I loved the way it felt. But in the interest of being consistent, I wanted to give the MC setup a try.

Attachments

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Little bit of a bummer today. My Jeep was stolen. I don’t leave terribly much inside due to it being a soft top. But still angered me greatly. I did get it back thanks to having a vehicle tracker installed. And fortunately they didn’t take it for any joy rides. As mad as I am, definitely could have been worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
Little bit of a bummer today. My Jeep was stolen. I don’t leave terribly much inside due to it being a soft top. But still angered me greatly. I did get it back thanks to having a vehicle tracker installed. And fortunately they didn’t take it for any joy rides. As mad as I am, definitely could have been worse.

Very sorry to hear you're going through this! Glad you got it back.

-Steven

Reactions: jawest12

·
Registered
593 Posts
jawest12 - Glad you got your Jeep back. Just checking to see how you like your Nemesis 111 wheels. I have been looking at those for my silver 2010 JKU. Been trying to stay away from the traditional black wheels and the price on these seem to be pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
jawest12 - Glad you got your Jeep back. Just checking to see how you like your Nemesis 111 wheels. I have been looking at those for my silver 2010 JKU. Been trying to stay away from the traditional black wheels and the price on these seem to be pretty reasonable.

I love them and have gotten many compliments about them. Mainly due to them not being common. I think the protective ring is definitely going to protect the rim.

·
Registered
2017 JKR...
1,989 Posts
Dang dude sorry to hear it...check out the ravelco....I've had it on a few vehicles....only way they'll get it is to tow it off.....

·
Jeep Newbie
639 Posts

Aw Geeze buddy, that's rough. But hey, you could buy a Hummer, nobody steals those! :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Beats me how the idiots think they have to cut their way into a rag top jeep that is held together with zippers and velcro. Glad to see that you got it back in mostly one piece.

·
Registered
140 Posts

DUDE WTF!!!! Thats crazy. How did they start it?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts