Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else installed JBA headers on their TJ's, and if so, how did you get the bottom center bolts for the intake manifold tightened down properly?

I recently replaced by stock exhaust header with a coated header from JBA. Following their install instructions I loose-fit the center bolts, seated the intake manifold behind the washers on those bolts, then fitted and tightened the rest. Then I used a ratcheting box wrench to tighten the center bolts down. The problem is that I can't tighten them very well. The only wrench I've found that can fit in the space is too short to get a good grip on. The headers are run in such a way that I can't reach the center bolts for the manifold any other way that I can think of, and I most definitely can't fit a torque wrench in there from what I've tried.

I've tested for leaks, and I can't find any, but still don't feel that secure with these only a bit tight and not properly torqued.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
314 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread.

I assume the OP got his header installed. I pity anyone installing JBA's without removing the fender. I'm just providing comment for others who find this via a search, like I did.

I'm installing a JBA header onto my newly received Golen 4.6 stroker. The front fenders, grill, every motor motor accessory are removed and the number 1 bolt is still an absolutely ridiculous bear to reach from any direction. I spent at least 45 minutes turning it 1/12 of a turn at a time while contorting my 50 year old body until I could finally get my ratcheting combination end wrench onto it and complete the job. I think a crows foot would have been helpful, but I didn't have one. There's no way to get a torque wrench onto some of those lower bolts so use a regular length combination wrench on bolts number 1 and 2 and tighten them about as much as you can put into them from the odd reaching position to approximate the specification of 24 ft-lb.

In hindsight, I would have installed the header and intake manifold before stabbing the engine into the transmission, but I'm sure that most people wouldn't have this luxury.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts