Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I just found out today that my girlfriend decided to buy me a bumper for my birthday! :dance::dance:

Anyhow, she wanted to know which bumper I wanted, and basically I'm torn between two bumpers:
1- JCR Crusader Front Bumper
2- Smittybilt XRC Stinger (bought in 2 parts, the bumper, and the stinger

Also, would anyone know if those two come in stubby and mid width? I'm not sure which size I'm interested in...
If I get the JCR, I would keep it paint-free, I believe it would match the whiteness of my Sahara very well, but I also love the stinger. It's a tough choice.

Thanks ladies and gents :)

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I don't have any experience with either but personally I like the looks of the JCR better, plus it has the provisions for the factory foggies (something I will be looking for when I am ready to purchase a bumper) Don't know if my vote counts for anything but thats my $0.02.

Also I like the quote from the GF sounds like something mine would tell me. Your a lucky man if she is willing to buy you a bumper for you Bday.

·
Registered
25 Posts
One thing to consider is that JCR is made in the USA, while Smittybilt is Chinese.
Just throwing it out there.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I like the JCR's. I also thought about leaving it bare metal cuz I like the way it looks, but I was told I'd have to put some form of finish on it.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
JCR would be my choice. And Cosmic Charlie's right, can't leave it bare...

As to whether or not they make stubby and mid-width, either PM JCR (they're a forum vendor, you know) or check their website.

·
Registered
87 Posts
JCR gets my vote. Very well made and they are great to work with. I went with the stubby with no stinger. Don't have the Jeep yet but the bumper looks great on the garage floor!

·
Registered
909 Posts
I'm in a similar debate, except I'm debating a JCR mid width versus a Rugged Ridge stubby tube bumper. I've thought if I went the route of the JCR I'd probably just rattle can bedline it and call it a day. I've heard of numerous issues with the Smittybuilt stuff just not being up to par due to the holes not lining up properly to mount to the frame. Those can always be drilled out though if you've got some help.

But between those two, I'd probably go the JCR route.

Good luck with what you decide.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
FWIW, I know smitty has had fitment issues, but my JCR rails didn't fit and had to be replaced.

Additionally, you should be aware that there are consequences to getting an unfinished product. For example, JCR's policy is that once you put any finish whatsoever on one of their products, they will not provide you with a refund under any circumstances, even if doesn't fit or is otherwise defective. Once a finish is applied, you are limited to exchanges only, even if the problem is a manufacturing defect.

And a good finish is expensive, though a bumper might be okay to just rattlecan with rustoleum. Side steps--or anything that will see a lot of stepping on or traffic--needs a powdercoat, line-x, or something similarly sturdy.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HunterTheBeagle said:
It has the provisions for the factory foggies (something I will be looking for when I am ready to purchase a bumper) Don't know if my vote counts for anything but thats my $0.02. Also I like the quote from the GF sounds like something mine would tell me. Your a lucky man if she is willing to buy you a bumper for you Bday.
First of all, everyone's $0.02 are worth at the very least, the price of the product, considering they might make a difference. :)
That being said, I had forgotten about my foggies! I love those things...
And I most definitely consider myself a lucky man for finding her, the bumper being one of the most trivial reasons for my luck ;)

MTH said:
FWIW, I know smitty has had fitment issues, but my JCR rails didn't fit and had to be replaced. Additionally, you should be aware that there are consequences to getting an unfinished product. For example, JCR's policy is that once you put any finish whatsoever on one of their products, they will not provide you with a refund under any circumstances, even if doesn't fit or is otherwise defective. Once a finish is applied, you are limited to exchanges only, even if the problem is a manufacturing defect.
Hey MTH, I read the thread where you discussed your luck with JCR, and honestly I was completely sure I was going to get that bumper until I read it, haha. That got me thinking, would I really have the time to mount the bumper twice and dismount it once? I'm not so sure...

For the finish issue, Is it really worthit to powder coat it? If I HAVE to finish it, I guess black it is... Should I use those can thingies? Plastidip or something...
But yeah... Def going for the JCR, I still really like that stinger by smitty though! It looks vicious and smooth! But American it is :)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
To toss another hat in the mix, check out the ACE front bumpers; they come in stubby and stingers, and come painted as well. Plus, adam is an awesome dude, and it never hurts to buy american :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sneck said:
To toss another hat in the mix, check out the ACE front bumpers; they come in stubby and stingers, and come painted as well. Plus, adam is an awesome dude, and it never hurts to buy american :D
I already ruled out the ACE stingers because they are HUUUUUUUUUGEEEEE!! Haha

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Hey MTH, I read the thread where you discussed your luck with JCR, and honestly I was completely sure I was going to get that bumper until I read it, haha. That got me thinking, would I really have the time to mount the bumper twice and dismount it once? I'm not so sure...

For the finish issue, Is it really worthit to powder coat it? If I HAVE to finish it, I guess black it is... Should I use those can thingies? Plastidip or something...
And for the record, I don't hate JCR or anything. Their stuff looks fantastic and the welds really are almost artfully done.

I just don't like the idea of selling it unfinished, but then also not allowing any returns once it's finished. Especially when the product takes a significant amount of effort to "test fit." At least not without making that REALLY obvious on the website. More obvious than it is now. JMHO.

I just had my JCR rails Line-Xed. (Literally just had it done . . . picked them up this morning.) They look great--but it was $330 for the Line-X. The rails themselves were $400-and-something to get delivered. So I'm at about $800 for rails. Pretty spendy given that I need to handle the finish myself and can expect no refund if there's a defect in the rails.

That said, the rustoleum rattlecan bedliner will do great on anything that doesn't see any traffic. I've had it on my lightbar and my door hinges for months and months and months now. There's little (or maybe no) fade, and when I spot a random flake or spot where the metal shows through I just hit it with some touch up. That's the cheapest way to go--a few cans of self-etching primer, some rattlecan bedliner, and you're all set.

JCR does have a pretty good section on their website for finishing their stuff. (See here.)

Honestly though, for what you're spending on a bumper, I'd want it finished right. Sure, the rattlecan will work, but for how many years? I can tell you that one or two years seems okay so far . . . but I don't know about five. And if it doesn't hold up, that means you're going to have a heck of a stripping project down the line.

So if I were getting a bumper, I'd look into Line-X or powdercoating, or one of the high-end DIY bedliner kits like Monstaliner, Raptorliner, etc. Of course, you've got to factor the cost of that as well as the time involved into the overall cost of the bumper.

With three toddlers in my household, there was just no way I was going to get the time to do a quality DIY job on my rails with Monstaliner or any similar product. I also knew I was going to be stepping on my rails every single time I got in and out of the jeep, so the finish had to be rock solid. So Line-X it was.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
MTH, agree completely. I understand why some companies don't finish, but in the end it comes down to "we feel we will handle the market better if we leave expensive details like finish up to the end user". I know one of the things I will knock a product for is crappy paint/powdercoating (I'm looking at you EVO), and that same thing will really wow me if it's good (looking at you Poly/Synergy!) Shipping unpainted is pretty much a white flag of surrender, and while sure it means you get to paint it whatever color with whatever product you want, guess what. you can do that with any product and some sandpaper!

personally, I don't want to have to paint it myself; I know I do a shitty job painting, and having to get it professionally painted is more time and money and in the end, added cost

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How much would powdercoating a front bumper cost? Honestly, the whole spray can is more worthit imho... Cheaper, and if it lasts 2-3 years, that's perfect! then I'll either get a new bumper, possibly a stinger, or just go all out and powdercoat it.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Marce1 said:
How much would powdercoating a front bumper cost? Honestly, the whole spray can is more worthit imho... Cheaper, and if it lasts 2-3 years, that's perfect! then I'll either get a new bumper, possibly a stinger, or just go all out and powdercoat it.
Not sure. Can't be pricier than line-x. Google "powdercoat |insert your town/city]" to find a local shop and give them a buzz.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Just remembering a couple posts I've read recently...one guy paid $50 for powder coating but said it was a "friend of a friend" deal, Another got the same for $80.

Again, that's just based on recent memory as I was looking as well.

·
Registered
209 Posts
hi, i like the jcr. powder coating around here cost about $60 for a bumper in black mat or textered. so check around for prices.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts