Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have already searched and read and stared at all the pics I could find. But, I want more! So just figured I would see if anyone wants to share their pics and experience with JCRoffroad bumpers? I am particularly eyeballing the dagger mid width with prerunner bars. The sunk winch one looks nice too. Are there any particular reasons, other than aesthetic I need to think about with that? I read that the "more airflow argument" was not really a problem, so any other reason?

Anything else anyone wants to add?

Thanks.:wavey:

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you are in a hurry beware. I ordered mine on 8-8-12 still have not received them. Front Mid-width Pre-Runner Winch Bumper (Full-Sunk), 2 Door Stage 2 Rock Sliders, Rear Tire Carrier Bumper - Deluxe. Also they all come unfinished so be prepared to have them painted. I love the look of the pieces tho and as soon as they get here i will take some pics and post them up. Good luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here is ours.
We have their rear bumper (no tire carrier) and older style bolt to the frame sliders. Everything fit Jeep like it should with minimal tweaking. We were very happy with the end result.

I bought a front winch bumper and installed a receiver hitch thru the fairlead slot because we already had a receiver mount winch. The license plate slides in and covers fairlead slot. I had everything powder coated in a wrinkle black. There is a guy in Dallas that powder coats in his garage and does a great job that does not break the bank.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
gmoore1 said:
I had everything powder coated in a wrinkle black. There is a guy in Dallas that powder coats in his garage and does a great job that does not break the bank.
What did the powdercoat run if you don't mind me asking? I've got their sliders and need to decide between powdercoating and line-x.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have their front stinger and rear Crusader with tire carrier and Rotopax. They look great but fit was off, hopefully they've made improvements in quality control. For $2000 I expected more.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have their front stinger and rear Crusader with tire carrier and Rotopax. They look great but fit was off, hopefully they've made improvements in quality control. For $2000 I expected more.
Mine was off slightly too... With a big rubber mallet I was able to solve it. Thinking about getting their rear bumper and tire carrier as well...

SS

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
ranjr said:
salmonshark said:
Mine was off slightly too... With a big rubber mallet I was able to solve it. Thinking about getting their rear bumper and tire carrier as well...
Yeah, my first set of sliders from them didn't sit flush with the body either, and one of the mounting tabs was out of place and had to be drilled out. I eventually sent them back and have another set I'm now deciding whether to line-x or powdercoat.

Also, FYI, JCR's stuff comes unfinished and I was told in no uncertain terms that once you finish it, they will not take it back as a return and give you a refund for any reason whatsoever. Even if it doesn't fit. In other words, even if their work is defective, you can't return it. Once you finish it, your only options are to deal with it or accept an exchange that you need to then again go through the hassle of finishing.

Their explanation was that you should completely test fit everything before you finish it. The fact that that's not terribly practical when you're talking about sliders that require you to drill holes in your jeep and that come with instructions that SAY they might not fit perfectly during a test fit is neither here nor there as far as JCR is concerned. If it's been finished, they'll exchange it if it's defective, but that's it--no returns.

Honestly, when I heard that policy, it made me question if that's not really what's at the root of their rationale in offering unfinished products. They claim it's because finishes are never up to their standards, get damaged during shipping, etc., but the fact is almost every other manufacturer offers finished pieces and they seem to be doing fine. I think part of JCR's approach is that they know you've got to finish whatever they send you pretty quickly after you receive it, and at that point they know they never, ever have to accept a return.

Just something to be aware of.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Honestly, when I heard that policy, it made me question if that's not really what's at the root of their rationale in offering unfinished products. They claim it's because finishes are never up to their standards, get damaged during shipping, etc., but the fact is almost every other manufacturer offers finished pieces and they seem to be doing fine. I think part of JCR's approach is that they know you've got to finish whatever they send you pretty quickly after you receive it, and at that point they know they never, ever have to accept a return.

Just something to be aware of.
I'm very sorry for your issues with our product, but you are 100% wrong with our finish policy. If a product is wrong, finished or no, we will fix it. Our statement on test fitting before painting is so we don't have customers angry about having to refinish a fixed product, or completely finishing a replacement; on top of being angry about it not fitting. Your correct, it's hard to hold a ~60" slider on the side of the your jeep and judge fit without actually mounting it, but if you're going to put a complicated or expensive finish on it, it may be worth mounting up bare metal first.

Logistically shipping finished products is a nightmare we are not willing to deal with. Calling into question our honesty I feel is a little unnecessary.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Logistically shipping finished products is a nightmare we are not willing to deal with. Calling into question our honesty I feel is a little unnecessary.
Fair enough.

But you do acknowledge that (1) the majority of armor manufacturers do offer finished products, and (2) once a JCR product is finished by the consumer, you won't accept a return for any reason.

Both of those statements are correct, right?

Those just strike me as facts most folks should be aware of--front and center--when they place an order. That's the essence of what I'm saying.

Edit: And full disclosure and clarification - My opinion on JCR's motivations for their policies is purely my opinion and based solely on my observations. Other than being one of their paying customers, I haven't done anything that would familiarize me with their business. I haven't been to JCR's facility, discussed their business practices with them, reviewed their books, or anything else. I formed an opinion based on my experience with my JCR product and what options I was presented with when I experienced problems, and that's it. I could be entirely incorrect.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I have looked at and debated front bumpers for months now (still awaiting my order jk) and have tried to figure out how they relate to my needs. The JCR mid with the prerunner seemed like a compromise between what I would really like (stubby) and what I should get (full size). I don't really want a large bulky bumper, but really my first concern is clipping a deer. The JCR seems like that compromise. I guess the fact that I need to coat it myself doesn't seem like a problem, and truthfully I would be bummed to have it arrived prefinished and predamaged by UPS. I was considering buying the poison spyder mounting kit for in bumper rigids.

Here is the bumper:
JcrOffroad, Inc. JK Wrangler Front Midwidth Dagger Pre-Runner Winch Bumper

MTH, I appreciate the perspective and heads up. It is nice to have someone on the lookout for all of us dummies on the web. As long as you don't mind ruffling some feathers every once in awhile, I think your questioning nature is helpful for the rest of us.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
^And I am just trying to help. I'm not trying to flame JCR or use a public forum to resolve some sort of private dispute.

So I should probably also mention that, in my opinion, JCR's products are some of the best looking out there. I can also attest to the fact that their welds are top notch, much better than the "robo welds" you often see on more mass produced products. So it is quite obvious that they have a good eye for design and the capacity for craftsmanship.

For those reasons, JCR is still on my short list for potential bumpers despite my initial experience. But if I ever do get a JCR product again, I am definitely going to fully test fit before finishing. That means a complete mount of the product in its bare steel state, no matter how much drilling or whatever is required. Then I'll unmount it, put back together whatever has to be put back together, get the product professionally finished, and then reinstall the product.

If you don't have the time, ability, and intention to do that, I simply cannot recommend purchasing a JCR product. You will be "locked in" once you put a finish on it, and no amount of dissatisfaction--or even a manufacturing error--will get you a refund.

In other words, I have learned that part of getting a JCR product--and something that is generally NOT part of getting most competing products--is not only finishing the product but also conducting two full installations and one full uninstallation. Practically, that's likely to add several hours of extra time spread over multiple days, so if that matters to you, you should consider that.

Based on my interactions with JCR, I can't imagine they'd disagree.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Fair enough.

But you do acknowledge that (1) the majority of armor manufacturers do offer finished products, and (2) once a JCR product is finished by the consumer, you won't accept a return for any reason.

Both of those statements are correct, right?

Those just strike me as facts most folks should be aware of--front and center--when they place an order. That's the essence of what I'm saying.

Edit: And full disclosure and clarification - My opinion on JCR's motivations for their policies is purely my opinion and based solely on my observations. Other than being one of their paying customers, I haven't done anything that would familiarize me with their business. I haven't been to JCR's facility, discussed their business practices with them, reviewed their books, or anything else. I formed an opinion based on my experience with my JCR product and what options I was presented with when I experienced problems, and that's it. I could be entirely incorrect.
No, he told you pretty clearly that finished or not they will fix or replace it if the problem is their fault.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
No, he told you pretty clearly that finished or not they will fix or replace it if the problem is their fault.
And "fix or replace" is the same as "return and refund" how exactly?

I don't want to hijack this thread into a my specific issues rather than the OP's query on purchasing from JCR generally, but I can say that for a variety of reasons a return and refund in the wake of discovering the manufacturing defects would've been preferable for me. That was refused, and my only options were to live with the defective rails or have JCR fix or replace them. No returns. No refunds.

While I understand JCR's position when it comes to issues of "second thoughts" or "buyer's remorse," I think a cost of doing business as a provider of unfinished products should be a willingness to accomodate returns/refunds regardless of finish when the impetus of the return is that your product was defective.

If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me. :thumb:

·
Registered
132 Posts
And "fix or replace" is the same as "return and refund" how exactly?

I don't want to hijack this thread into a my specific issues rather than the OP's query on purchasing from JCR generally, but I can say that for a variety of reasons a return and refund in the wake of discovering the manufacturing defects would've been preferable for me. That was refused, and my only options were to live with the defective rails or have JCR fix or replace them. No returns. No refunds.

While I understand JCR's position when it comes to issues of "second thoughts" or "buyer's remorse," I think a cost of doing business as a provider of unfinished products should be a willingness to accomodate returns/refunds regardless of finish when the impetus of the return is that your product was defective.

If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me. :thumb:
I see what you mean. But I understand JCR's position. If they take it back they will need to strip the finish so it can be resold. While it is nice when people have a no questions asked return policy, I understand that a small shop can't afford it.

·
Registered
696 Posts
salmonshark said:
With a big rubber mallet I was able to solve it.
My Crusader rear took a 4lb sledge hammer to get it test mounted and a strap around a tree to remove. Still some of the best looking bumpers in my opinion.

image-961500809.jpg

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
I see what you mean. But I understand JCR's position. If they take it back they will need to strip the finish so it can be resold. While it is nice when people have a no questions asked return policy, I understand that a small shop can't afford it.
PM sent. :thumb:

I would never advocate a "no questions asked" return policy for JCR. "Buyer's remorse" and the like should never cut it. When there's a defect though . . . that's different IMO.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What did the powdercoat run if you don't mind me asking? I've got their sliders and need to decide between powdercoating and line-x.
I believe it was around $300.00 for both bumpers and long sliders. The deal was that give it to him all at once. I had it quoted thru a big powder coat comany and they were over double this.

And I did mount everything to the Jeep before I had coated. This was a must do since powder is harder to touch up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts