Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, so I'm taking on a challenge with my jeep and pretty much doing everything to it. Right now she has a hard time pushing past 100 kph, so I've decided to do something about the engine. It's a 4.3 liter inline 6.

I was thinking about doing an engine swap but starting reading and found a lot of people don't suggest it because the inline 6 has a huge durability and is long lasting and still has good power.

So I was thinking about doing a rebuild. However I'm a huge noob to mechanic work but want to do it. So if there on any suggestions on how to know what parts should be replaced and where to buy good parts or kits would be really appreciated. Also, any suggestions on upgrades would be really appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Maybe we should talk about why you think you need a rebuild first. Could be that you are having other (simple to fix?) problems that are causing you to not have much power. What size tires do you have on your Jeep now ? Does your Jeep have a carb or is it fuel injected ? Do you have a stock ignition system ?
I'm just trying to say that there are a lot of things that could cause a power loss and you not need a full rebuild.

·
Registered
316 Posts
my dumb a$$ just read the title again. So your Jeep is fuel injected. At least the rules out carb problems LOL.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To be honest, most of my car has been rebuilt by a mechanic, this summer I want to fix my car with my own hands and start to learn a lot with my car, I'll be doing it with a friend that knows more about cars, but the only big thing left to touch is the engine, and if it's the problem or not I still want to do, cause ive been planning on taking it somewhere to rebuild it. But now I'll have the time to do it myself, I just want to make sure I get quality parts and doing e everything right the first time (as much as I can figure out anyways) so recommendations would be appreciated

·
Registered
222 Posts
To be honest, most of my car has been rebuilt by a mechanic, this summer I want to fix my car with my own hands and start to learn a lot with my car, I'll be doing it with a friend that knows more about cars, but the only big thing left to touch is the engine, and if it's the problem or not I still want to do, cause ive been planning on taking it somewhere to rebuild it. But now I'll have the time to do it myself, I just want to make sure I get quality parts and doing e everything right the first time (as much as I can figure out anyways) so recommendations would be appreciated

1st get a Factory Service Repair Manual and read it. Learn all you can about how your Jeep works and what makes it work. Then make the decision on whether your engine needs a engine rebuild....

If you have a engine rod knocking or white smoke coming out of your exhaust then you need a rebuild.

Because if you have bad components on your jeep robbing you power... Same thing is gonna be there after the rebuild. Fix/Troubleshoot the power problem. And enjoy your Jeep.

Plus you need to look at tire size verses gear ratios. If your running big tires with 3.73 gears that could be your problem... you would need a regear.

Spend time reading on this site..., I lurked here for a long time before I purchased my first Jeep.... Read the build threads so much to learn there most of these Jeep guys on here are genius's and there info will save you time and money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts