Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Probably not what is your problem but I had a Dodge a while back that would die or shudder in reverse in the am and the dealer found the torque converter was going into lock up mode

·
Registered
298 Posts
That is great hope it is solved. Though it seems that it should have showed a code. Time will tell and it will be good to know for others with the same type of problem

·
Registered
298 Posts
They say we test not guess sometimes throwing parts at it dont work.After someone figures out a problem it is easy for others. Intermittent or temperature related is sometimes tough to figure out. The dealer may have to keep it a few days with Chrysler involvement. I know it takes a little more power from the engine it go into reverse than into drive

·
Registered
298 Posts
I guess another 2016 can be added. I just joined while researching the "dies in reverse" issue. Bought my wife a '16 sport a week ago from a Nissan dealership and this has happened twice. It has 24,000 miles and the warranty is up the end of April.
I keep finding this issue online with multiple years and multiple causes. Not very reassuring. I have to contact the dealership Monday. I'm just now finding about "jeep cares". I'll have to get with them as well. I'll report back once I know more. Thanks!
I wonder what is up I was just at our local small Nissan dealer and seen 3 late model wranglers on there lot

·
Registered
298 Posts
I never bought a extended warranty if there is a problem while in warranty save your paperwork. The dealer in our town told a customer we did not find a problem so no paperwork. Never leave the dealer without documentation

·
Registered
298 Posts
So in my situation after 2 weeks the dealer finally was able to duplicate the issue and replaced the camshaft sensors and for the past couple of days my Jeep is running and shifting like a champ! I believe this has resolved my issue. Fingers crossed!

Your problem was a little different than dying in reverse on first start when put into gear like most on this thread Yours was more of a driveability problem driving down the road so the sensors will probably solve your problem

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/2012-jku-rubi-5-speed-auto-w5a580-issues-2359659.html

·
Registered
298 Posts
Sounds like you have been through a lot with your problem if you have a warranty that can be used anywhere the transmission shop would be best. I did look at what another poster showed about the nags manual http://www.lx.abodiesonline.com/Manuals/NAG1%20Manual.pdf

The first link that shows Service Information And it shows the problem on page 21-528 about half way down the page of stalling when put into R or D and it shows the test and both lower column step 2 show replace torque convertor

·
Registered
298 Posts
Update: I received my Jeep back from the transmission shop yesterday. They replace the valve body assembly, selenoid, and pressure plate. This morning I let it idle down to 700-800 RPM put it in reverse and it studdered down to around 400 RPM but did not die.

I haven't owned my Jeep very long and would be curious to know if the cold start stall problem only happens in cold months. Has anyone experienced this issue in temps above 50 degrees?
It seems to happen more in the colder temps. It seems that replacing the torque converter is the real fix so far

·
Registered
298 Posts
Well, after the dealership opened a Star case on my Jeep stalling I guess Chrysler decided to tell the mechanic to replace the valve body. So that’s what they did and they are going to let it sit and see if they can get it to stall again on Monday. I’m pretty confident it’s the torque converter seeing how Baylor81 Star case was addressed and his vehicle being fixed after a new torque converter. I have the exact identical problem so I’m wondering why one Star case fix would be different than what they are doing with my Star case?

A few people went through the same thing replace the valve body. Maybe because that is a easy try,just drop the pan and install new valve body.Replacing the torque converter is a much bigger job,you have to take the transmission out to replace the needed torque converter

·
Registered
298 Posts
Sounds like what some dealerships would say

It takes more pressure to go into reverse because its a different gear ratio

And so far the only fix for this has been to replace the torque converter
also the nags test shows to replace the torque converter

I had this happen to me years ago in a dodge car and it was very bad going into reverse it would chug and shake violently in reverse going forward it was fine.The torque converter replacement was the true fix

·
Registered
298 Posts
The TC spins and operates the EXACT SAME way in froward as it does in reverse. There is no change in the way the TC operates other than different pressures at different times to lock/unlock, multiply torque... etc.

If it works fine in forward then it is not the problem. It is a pressure control issue which is in the transmission. The torque converter does not control its own pressure... not directly anyway.

Reverse is a little higher geared than going into first gear so its not the same

·
Registered
298 Posts
All dealers usually blame a problem on a aftermarket part that has nothing to do with the problem. Been there and heard it many times at the dealership I once worked at. It will work nicely after the torque converter is replaced as others have noted and the manual shows in a earlier post

·
Registered
298 Posts
That is a good possibility Chrysler pays good money for warranty claims also they pay a good mark up for handling the parts the dealer buys from them to fix the problem . Some dealers are willing to take all and others will only work on the ones they sold. However they do have to take all recall recall work anybody brings in. The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act says that any part effected by the failing part is also warrantied

·
Registered
298 Posts
No codes for a torque convertor I remember the local school principal had a dodge that the torque converter would go into lock up mode in reverse it would hirky jerk bad and it was fine going forward

1 - 20 of 24 Posts