Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

241 - 260 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
There are thousands of Jeeps built with that transmission and torque converter without issue. So it’s possible it’s a bad set of converters or a manufacturing issue that shows up randomly.

Is there an underlying problem with these jeeps that is causing issues with the torque converter ? Perhaps.

Would be interesting to see vin #s and see if the vehicles were built on the same day / week / month which would indicate a supply issue with a batch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There are thousands of Jeeps built with that transmission and torque converter without issue. So it’s possible it’s a bad set of converters or a manufacturing issue that shows up randomly.

Is there an underlying problem with these jeeps that is causing issues with the torque converter ? Perhaps.

Would be interesting to see vin #s and see if the vehicles were built on the same day / week / month which would indicate a supply issue with a batch.
I thought about the same thing. From what I’m reading it seems to be 2016 and 2017. I can tell you my 2017 Jeep was built in 2016. I ordered it and took possession of it in November of 2016. I’m wondering if the 2017’s that are having issues were built in late 2016 or early 2017? Perhaps they got a batch of bad torque converters from the supplier or something changed in the assembly process that effected the operation of the TC. Working in the auto industry building diesel engines and transmissions myself I see things like this happen all of the time. Unfortunately it’s the customer that usually suffers and we have to go through the warranty process to get it fixed. How the warranty process is handled reflects on the manufacturers, in this case FCC, reputation.

Mine was fixed before my warranty expired luckily and seems to be driving well at this point. I’m still happy with my Jeep and FCC. However, if I kept getting the “can’t replicate the issue” response while under warranty and then it totally went out after my warranty expired and I didn’t get help from FCC I can promise I wouldn’t ever own another Chrysler product again. With this particular issue I think the dealerships and FCC should be more open minded and FCC should do some investigative work. Seems like it needs to be a recall or at least a tsb sent out.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
This is what I was wondering. Has anyone had their torque converter replaced and never had this happen again? It seems odd that this 2 year old thread has people driving multiple different year vehicles but we're having the same problem. So, what is better about the new TC? Or is it just holding out another 30-50,000 before it all starts again?
And for the record, since I first joined this thread I've started recording starting my jeep every morning and wouldn't you know it hasn't stalled in over 2 weeks, ha! But I do get the rough idle and about a 700-1000 drop in RPM when I go into reverse.

I don't see how it can be a TC issue. The TC works the same in forward gear as it does in reverse, so if you're going forward with no issue then it can't (directly) be the TC.

Now it could be a TC pressure control issue but that's not the TC. That would be a valve issue of one kind or another within the tranny.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sounds like what some dealerships would say

It takes more pressure to go into reverse because its a different gear ratio

And so far the only fix for this has been to replace the torque converter
also the nags test shows to replace the torque converter

I had this happen to me years ago in a dodge car and it was very bad going into reverse it would chug and shake violently in reverse going forward it was fine.The torque converter replacement was the true fix

·
Registered
15 Posts
I believe the NAG1 manual also says check the torque converter control solenoid, which is part of the valve body in a sense. I thinks it’s a multiple failure.

I won’t have my Jeep but a couple more months so I won’t know if the problem returns.

I do have a new charger with the 3.6L so I’ll see if it happens to that setup as well.

Sounds like what some dealerships would say

It takes more pressure to go into reverse because its a different gear ratio

And so far the only fix for this has been to replace the torque converter
also the nags test shows to replace the torque converter

I had this happen to me years ago in a dodge car and it was very bad going into reverse it would chug and shake violently in reverse going forward it was fine.The torque converter replacement was the true fix

·
Registered
259 Posts
I had a similar issue with my wife’s 2013 auto JKU when cold. Replacing the torque converter solenoid resolved 90% of the issue in reverse and fully forward. I should have replaced the reverse solenoid while I was in there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Jeep was with two dealerships for 3 weeks with Jeep Cares involved and all they came up with to keep monitoring your vehicle and let us know when it "acts up" again. They would not replace the torque converter unless their pilot test would confirm that the torque converter is failing. They will not replace the tc unless they can confirm it will fix the problem.

Jeep Cares became nonexistent in the last week my Jeep was there. They did absolutely nothing in my case. They would relay the status of my Jeep, that was it. I emailed my Jeep Cares case manager several times about this forum and to please recommend replacing the torque converter. I assumed Jeep Cares gets involved from dealing with so many cases that are similar. Apparently not.

At this point it seems hopeless, I am just here to share my frustrating story and my experience with Jeep Cares involvement in the case.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just received paperwork after the dealership recommended replacing the torque converter but would not under warranty because they could not confirm that was the fix.
They estimated $2150+ tax/supplies for a TC replacement. This is absurd right? No way should it cost that much to replace a TC?

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2017 wrangler sport has been at the dealer twice for this same issue and they have told me “they could not recreate the issue”. Bringing it in next Wednesday for further testing according to them. Contacted JeepCares so hopefully everything transitions smoothly. 26,660 miles currently on the odometer. Will
Keep you guys posted on the matter

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
47,304 Posts
My 2017 wrangler sport has been at the dealer twice for this same issue and they have told me “they could not recreate the issue”. Bringing it in next Wednesday for further testing according to them. Contacted JeepCares so hopefully everything transitions smoothly. 26,660 miles currently on the odometer. Will
Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Jeep was at the dealership for 3 weeks and they could not replicate the problem. First day back after sitting over night and a solid stall after idling for about 2 minutes. I'm going to need anger management soon. I think I am giving up. I officially own a Jeep that stalls when its cold out. I am just happy the corona virus isn't the zombie apocalypse or I'd be the first go.
Thanks Jeep Cares, you really are doing Gods work.

I'm changing my Jeep wave to flipping the bird until I see a recall on this issue.

Keep safe out there fellow Jeep stallers.

·
WF approved Offical Jeep Account.
1,487 Posts

@HankNYR22
We were able to follow up with your private message- please continue to work with us there in order to avoid any missed communication.

Kathryn
JeepCares

·
Registered
23 Posts
@JeepCares. I just dropped my Jeep off at the dealer again. Has been stalling every morning my wife uses it. Please let me know what info you need to initiate contact with the dealer. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Help! My jeep is having the same issue and is going to the dealership again now. Friday the "updated" the PCM which they said should fix the issue. This has not. Jeep Cares can you help?!

·
WF approved Offical Jeep Account.
1,487 Posts
@JeepCares. I just dropped my Jeep off at the dealer again. Has been stalling every morning my wife uses it. Please let me know what info you need to initiate contact with the dealer. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Help! My jeep is having the same issue and is going to the dealership again now. Friday the "updated" the PCM which they said should fix the issue. This has not. Jeep Cares can you help?!

@wipple370, @smeans
Please start off by sending us a private message with your VIN and mileage. We will gladly look into this further for you, and will determine the best way to assist you at this point.

Kathryn
JeepCares

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2016 that has barely 30k on it. Dies when I shift into reverse, mainly on the chilly mornings. So frustrated. The dealership will not admit there’s anything wrong. I’ve taken it in twice now, going to take it to a different dealer, have now contacted Jeep cares by phone and have a complaint number, I would recommend doing that just for notation.

As a previous poster wrote, go to https://www.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ to report this problem!!! EVERYONE NEEDS TO REPORT THIS PROBLEM! Hopefully with enough people speaking out this will finally get some attention. Copy and post your problem on your dealers google review or wherever else you can! Make them listen!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just adding my name to the list. My 2017 JKU Sahara has been dying for months only on first start up of the day and going into reverse. Once I restart it, it works fine and no issues throughout the day. Have 32k miles on it so bringing it in under warranty on Friday. I've just been dealing with it (kind of annoying but not the end of the world), but figured I should get it looked at before warranty runs out. I know already that the dealer won't help me out....last time I got an oil change and tire rotation, they told me they didn't rotate the tires because they all measured the same.
So color me surprised. I brought my Jeep to David Dodge in Glen Mills, PA ready for a fight and turned out Steve was awesome. I told him what the problem was and that there was a whole thread dedicated to it on this forum and that it appears the TC replacement fixes the issue. After 5 days I hadn't heard from him (I did tell him he could have the car as long as needed since it was a second vehicle) so I called to see what the story was and he said they already tested it out and reproduced the issue and a new TC was on order. Just needed an A technician to install it. Got a call yesterday that it's done. Hopefully it's fixed for good....or at least another 30k miles.

241 - 260 of 282 Posts