Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

261 - 280 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just adding my name to the list. My 2017 JKU Sahara has been dying for months only on first start up of the day and going into reverse. Once I restart it, it works fine and no issues throughout the day. Have 32k miles on it so bringing it in under warranty on Friday. I've just been dealing with it (kind of annoying but not the end of the world), but figured I should get it looked at before warranty runs out. I know already that the dealer won't help me out....last time I got an oil change and tire rotation, they told me they didn't rotate the tires because they all measured the same.
So color me surprised. I brought my Jeep to David Dodge in Glen Mills, PA ready for a fight and turned out Steve was awesome. I told him what the problem was and that there was a whole thread dedicated to it on this forum and that it appears the TC replacement fixes the issue. After 5 days I hadn't heard from him (I did tell him he could have the car as long as needed since it was a second vehicle) so I called to see what the story was and he said they already tested it out and reproduced the issue and a new TC was on order. Just needed an A technician to install it. Got a call yesterday that it's done. Hopefully it's fixed for good....or at least another 30k miles.
Did it throw a code or anything besides just dying on them? Thanks for any extra info!

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Yes pressure to the torque converter and the then the torque converter tries to lock then engine stalls. So replacing the torque converter is the fix and has been so far

The TC spins and operates the EXACT SAME way in froward as it does in reverse. There is no change in the way the TC operates other than different pressures at different times to lock/unlock, multiply torque... etc.

If it works fine in forward then it is not the problem. It is a pressure control issue which is in the transmission. The torque converter does not control its own pressure... not directly anyway.

This is exactly why the service stations are so hesitant at just blindly changing out the tc.

If it is (temporarily) working for some then I would suggest something else was moved, or jiggled or payed with while changing out the tc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Help! My jeep is having the same issue and is going to the dealership again now. Friday the "updated" the PCM which they said should fix the issue. This has not. Jeep Cares can you help?!
Oh no, dealer just called me and said the same and that they updated it. Hope it doesn’t stall again once I pick it up this afternoon.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I definitely have this issue in cold weather, although I've never had a stall. It's a 2018 JK, with 120,000 km on it.

So my question is - is it harmful to the tranny or torque converter to have this condition? Or could one live with it if they chose, and not do any damage.

-Scott

·
Registered
4 Posts
Help! My jeep is having the same issue and is going to the dealership again now. Friday the "updated" the PCM which they said should fix the issue. This has not. Jeep Cares can you help?!
Oh no, dealer just called me and said the same and that they updated it. Hope it doesn’t stall again once I pick it up this afternoon.

Also,
They told me going through the vehicle the trans mount was an area of concern because there was to much play in it. It’s covered under the bumper to bumper warranty so it’s a no cost fix unless you are out of that. Will let you guys know what happens in the coming days

·
Registered
196 Posts
The TC spins and operates the EXACT SAME way in froward as it does in reverse. There is no change in the way the TC operates other than different pressures at different times to lock/unlock, multiply torque... etc.

If it works fine in forward then it is not the problem. It is a pressure control issue which is in the transmission. The torque converter does not control its own pressure... not directly anyway.

Reverse is a little higher geared than going into first gear so its not the same

·
Registered
23 Posts
Finally the dealer is seeing for themselves what I have been experiencing all along. STAR case opened and torque converter being ordered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Reverse is a little higher geared than going into first gear so its not the same

The tc has absolutely NOTHING to do with gears or even the transmission for that matter. It is a fluid LINK between the engine and transmission. It simply is controlled by the transmission

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
I agree with you there its the lock up inside the torque converter where the problem is

Quite.
And that's the point I'm trying to make. The control for that lock up is in the transmission, not the tc.

The tc has no idea which direction you're going. It's all the same to it. The only difference is that it *MAY* be that it has been given a set of marching orders from the tranny to lock up (or at least begin lock up) at a wrong time for what ever reason.

If it was acting locked in BOTH directions then it would be right to suspect a binding tc or a tc stuck in lock (or 1/2 way locked) along with all pressure control issue... but one direction being fine and the other not kind of suggests that there is nothing (directly) wrong with the tc.

I would be much more inclined to believe a sticking tcc solenoid or a tranny input shaft seal is more directly the problem. Both of these issues would cause a pressure issue in the tc.

Now if it goes on long enough then you would EVENTUALLY have to replace the tc because all the partial lock ups would end up damaging the converter clutch. Clutches in general don't like being PARTIALLY engaged.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with you there its the lock up inside the torque converter where the problem is

Quite.
And that's the point I'm trying to make. The control for that lock up is in the transmission, not the tc.

The tc has no idea which direction you're going. It's all the same to it. The only difference is that it *MAY* be that it has been given a set of marching orders from the tranny to lock up (or at least begin lock up) at a wrong time for what ever reason.

If it was acting locked in BOTH directions then it would be right to suspect a binding tc or a tc stuck in lock (or 1/2 way locked) along with all pressure control issue... but one direction being fine and the other not kind of suggests that there is nothing (directly) wrong with the tc.

I would be much more inclined to believe a sticking tcc solenoid or a tranny input shaft seal is more directly the problem. Both of these issues would cause a pressure issue in the tc.

Now if it goes on long enough then you would EVENTUALLY have to replace the tc because all the partial lock ups would end up damaging the converter clutch. Clutches in general don't like being PARTIALLY engaged.
So, the Torque Converter Control Solenoid (TCCS) is inside the transmission. I believe you can get to it by removing the pan and dropping the valve body. If you’re somewhat familiar with transmission work, I think it can be replaced with minimal grief while the trans is still on the Jeep. For anyone outside of their warranty, I think that solenoid (as a starting point) to fix the issue is a good spot. Less costly than the torque converter and something you can do on your back if need be.

Just my two cents anyways.

After I had my torque converter replaced by the dealer, the problem did go away, but shoddy shifting started happening. Of course, the quick connect on the transmission was/is leaking. $140 to repair according to the dealer. They didn’t break it and it’s not under warranty. “The rubber grommets wear out over time” is what they said.

Anyways, only got 500 miles out of the changed TC. No problems otherwise. Traded the 2016 Sahara JKU for a Rocky Ridge K2 2020 Bikini Sahara. It’s the 2.0 so hopefully it’s a complete different trans setup...

·
Registered
259 Posts
So, the Torque Converter Control Solenoid (TCCS) is inside the transmission. I believe you can get to it by removing the pan and dropping the valve body. If you’re somewhat familiar with transmission work, I think it can be replaced with minimal grief while the trans is still on the Jeep.
That’s correct. At stock ride height, with the four tires in the ground, I dropped the transmission oil pan, removed the valve body and replaced the torque converter solenoid. Of course it was the right time to change the fluid, filter and gasket.

It was a PITA, but doable. The extra ground clearance the Jeep has now (lift and bigger tires) would have come in handy.

Ours used to stall going forward when cold. No more. After doing the job, I realized reversing when cold chugs a fair bit. I should have changed the reverse gear solenoid while the valve body was out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A few days later with the PCM update and glad to say so far so good. Jeep has not stalled when putting in reverse. I’m sure it’s just a matter of time lol. Any luck with yours after the update? Did you go back yet

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Wife Just Got a 2017 Sahara with 35K still has the warranty, it actually stalled backing out for the test drive but i didn't think anything of it, it's at the dealership for the second time now. the first time they said there was water in the gas tank / bad gas, they charged us $500 to drop and drain it.. guess what! the problem returned!! My wifes a nurse and really doesn't need this stress on top of all the horrible things at the hospital right now, i don't have much faith that they will do anything as they say "they've never heard of the issue" i printed out stuff from this forum but looked at me with 2 heads when i made them read it. it's ridiculous.

·
Registered
3 Posts
wanted to give an update on my situation: ended up taking my Jeep to a second dealership in hopes they would be more willing to investigate the issue. They were! They had for a day and called to tell me it was going to get the torque converter replaced. The manager wasn’t sure if it had actually stalled for the mechanic or if the mechanic just understood the symptoms and called it. I will find out more when I pick it up tomorrow. Just wanted to say don’t give up, this is BS that a nearly new/low mileage vehicle should be doing this. I made complaints with my states attorney general auto dept, Jeep Cares, and made some nasty google reviews. I figure the squeaky wheel gets greased. Shout out to Eugene Oregon Lithia Jeep dealer for taking care of business.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It has been a long 3 weeks that the dealer has had my Jeep but the TC and input shaft are in. Hopefully I can pick it up tomorrow, just in time to park it and enjoy the rest of the quarantine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
So 3 months into a new valve body and torque converter and my Jeep left me stranded on the interstate. I was driving at 75 mph and it’s like it went into neutral and I had to drift to the shoulder. The only thing it would do is shift from park to neutral. Had it towed to the dealership. The torque converter solved all the issues with the stalling on the first start up in the mornings though. Never had another issue with that problem. However the valve body they put in must have had bad speed sensors because they said it was showing error codes, even though no lights came on in the dash. So
they are currently putting another valve body in the transmission. Again.

261 - 280 of 282 Posts