Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
461 - 475 of 475 Posts

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
1. Your torque converter needs to be replaced, because it is locking up in reverse.

3. The stall only gets worse as the weather gets colder.
Nah... I'm not convinced
Our Winter temps can go down to around -40 or so, and this only happens to me like 3 or 4 times a year. It's not always on the colder days either.

There is no redesign of the torque converter they replace with. It's the same one so the "flaw" would still be there in the new TC.

The TC does not know the difference between reverse and forward. It's all the same to it. Now the tranny acts differently in reverse vs forward and feeds different pressures to the TC... but the tranny and TC are two different things.

This did not happen when the jeep was new so in my mind it is something wearing and allowing some kind of internal leakage.... more like the converter shaft and/or input shaft seals.

The truth is... no one knows for sure what is going on.

·
WF approved Offical Jeep Account.
1,669 Posts
Hey jeep cares same issue for me, it drops in revs when put in reverse I have the jeep at the dealer now having a radiator put in under warranty they are just waiting on radiators because they are on back order. I had the jeep in last year for the same issue and spoke to jeep cares about this issue, the revs dropping on cold start.

the dealer could not find anything wrong then and from my understanding can not do anything unless it stalls. Can you help?
Feel free to send us a private message as well, we're happy to help.

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4-Door 3.6L
8 Posts
I just caught myself up on this thread. I see three new people need torque converter replacements. I had mine replaced for this problem, and it took some time before the dealer agreed. I provided them with stall videos, as it usually only happens in the cold weather on the first reverse of the day.

What you three need to know is:
1. Your torque converter needs to be replaced, because it is locking up in reverse.
2. The Jeep will never throw a code, as the NAG1 transmission does not communicate fault codes (does not have the ability too, and this is indicated in the service manual).
3. The stall only gets worse as the weather gets colder.

Here is what Sonnax found to be the problem in this transmission, and this is the fix:

If this is too long of a read for you, what the article says is essentially transmission fluid remains stuck in an area in which it forces the the torque converter to lockup when it should not. If this flaw did not exist, neither would the stall problem. The locked converter forces the engine to stall, as a torque converter is not supposes to lock at idle, or even low speeds.

However, a new torque converter will fix the issue for good. Find a dealership that will play ball. It is a known issue, and not a mystery.
Great info and thank you. I have indeed been told unless it fails at the dealership (consistently) and or throws a code, a replacement cannot be done. Not bad especially when having paid thousands for the lifetime warranty:(
4th time to the same place for same problem. Picking up today with the same result. This would be the definition of insanity I believe:)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was in the same boat with this issue a coupe of years ago. I managed to work with my dealer and resolve it through lot's of suggestions and hand holding with them and leaving them the vehicle overnight so they could drive it first thing.. Eventually they agreed with me that it was the Torque converter and replaced it under warranty. Never threw a code. It has not been a problem since and I am happy with the performance now. In fact, with the new True Trac rear this transmission can light up both rears without any problem. No, I don't regularly do this.

Good luck and keep at them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for the input? Was yours actually stalling or were the revs just extremely low?
Eventually it started stalling, wasn't every time though. It was definitely trending to be more frequent though and the colder it got the more likely it was to happen. I think the main thing is to be persistent but nice with the service advisor. Hell, bring them some donuts and a box of coffee. Can't hurt. Small price for a repair that could be a couple grand if coming out of your own pocket. If that doesn't work then try another service department.

Ref: 16 JK Unlimited

·
Registered
952 Posts
There are thousands of Jeeps built with that transmission and torque converter without issue. So it’s possible it’s a bad set of converters or a manufacturing issue that shows up randomly.

Is there an underlying problem with these jeeps that is causing issues with the torque converter ? Perhaps.

Would be interesting to see vin #s and see if the vehicles were built on the same day / week / month which would indicate a supply issue with a batch.
2017 JKU, I laughed when I read this response. For starters, I love my Jeep! In at least 4 new Chevys, I had nowhere near the problems I've had with this Jeep! The dies in reverse being the latest.
To date, that I can recall, I've had the rear driveshaft replaced (first dealership had it 2 weeks and couldn't replicate the complaint. 2nd took 1 day and diagnosed driveshaft), cylinder head replaced (after being in the shop 4 weeks out of 6 for a misfire), a/c blend door actuator, Bluetooth module, radio head unit, transmission rebuilt (just under 60k miles), front axle seal, rear axle seal.
This past weekend I experienced the croak in reverse. It was 20ish degrees, and my Jeep doesn't normally sleep outside. This night it did. I had just picked it up from the dealership on Wednesday (driveshaft r&r) when this happened Sunday morning! When I dropped it off at the first dealership, for the driveshaft complaint, I also mentioned a second round of Bluetooth module symptoms and a/c blend actuator, not to mention the radio symptoms starting all over again.
I'm only half way through this thread, but have come to realize, some dealerships still have techs and some have parts changers. Some dealerships can only replace a part if the computer tells them to, others are "old school" and use their knowledge and experience to remedy an issue, outside of what the computer tells them.
My "opinion" is based on about 20 years in the auto parts industry, and almost 5 years of Jeep ownership and "dealershopping" no less than 5 dealerships in a metro-area, before finding a dealership that seems to have real techs and know what customer service WAS!
I really want to buy a Gladiator in the next 6 months, but my personal experience and the internet have me 2nd guessing that!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same Problem

I have a 2016 Unlimited, 34,000 miles on it... It has been stalling on me like crazy when i reverse out of my driveway and sometimes ill make it out of the drive and it will stall out putting it into drive... It has been at the dealership for a week now and they still cant figure out the root cause. I will mention what dealership told you was the root cause
I am having the same issue, my 2016 jeep anniversary edition, 23,500 miles is doing the exact same thing. Is Jeep doing anything for this problem.

·
WF approved Offical Jeep Account.
1,669 Posts
2017 JKU, I laughed when I read this response. For starters, I love my Jeep! In at least 4 new Chevys, I had nowhere near the problems I've had with this Jeep! The dies in reverse being the latest.
To date, that I can recall, I've had the rear driveshaft replaced (first dealership had it 2 weeks and couldn't replicate the complaint. 2nd took 1 day and diagnosed driveshaft), cylinder head replaced (after being in the shop 4 weeks out of 6 for a misfire), a/c blend door actuator, Bluetooth module, radio head unit, transmission rebuilt (just under 60k miles), front axle seal, rear axle seal.
This past weekend I experienced the croak in reverse. It was 20ish degrees, and my Jeep doesn't normally sleep outside. This night it did. I had just picked it up from the dealership on Wednesday (driveshaft r&r) when this happened Sunday morning! When I dropped it off at the first dealership, for the driveshaft complaint, I also mentioned a second round of Bluetooth module symptoms and a/c blend actuator, not to mention the radio symptoms starting all over again.
I'm only half way through this thread, but have come to realize, some dealerships still have techs and some have parts changers. Some dealerships can only replace a part if the computer tells them to, others are "old school" and use their knowledge and experience to remedy an issue, outside of what the computer tells them.
My "opinion" is based on about 20 years in the auto parts industry, and almost 5 years of Jeep ownership and "dealershopping" no less than 5 dealerships in a metro-area, before finding a dealership that seems to have real techs and know what customer service WAS!
I really want to buy a Gladiator in the next 6 months, but my personal experience and the internet have me 2nd guessing that!

Hi, tgil. If you need assistance with any concerns or plan to visit a dealer for support, we are here to help.

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
210 Posts
2017 JKU, I laughed when I read this response.
Sold the jeep in the fall. Too much of a risk - left me stranded on the side of the road twice - that had not happened in 20 years. Always maintained. Thermostat once, fan clutch / radiator second time. Dealer could not reproduce the stall in reverse and eventhough I had video to show them they did not care.

Risk/reward was upside down for me. Sold for good $$ (should have held it 4 more months and would have gotten nearly what I paid for it) but I was happy to be rid of it. Loved it when it was reliable, no longer loved it after stalling, overheating, towing and nonsense.

3rd Jeep, last Jeep. As they continue to make them more electronics based and cut costs the quality seems to go in the crapper. Good luck all - hope you all get resolution to the 'problem that doesn't exist, but we all know better'

·
Registered
952 Posts
I thought there was someone on this thread that mentioned low voltage being their problem and a new battery fixed it?
I went back 100 posts or so and didn't find it, but here is my latest experience.
Most recent stall was 2/12, after sitting outside below 32 degrees.
Yesterday, after being in the 20's most of the day, I got ready to leave work at the Jeep wouldn't turn over. Got my trusty Noco booster out and it fired right up and got me home. I back into my spot at work, so this didn't get tested last night.
I went out to get in the Jeep today and go get the battery checked. After spending the night in the garage, it fired right up but died when I put it in reverse. Got the Noco hooked up and started back up, but died when I put it in reverse. Jumped it again and left the booster connected while I backed out of the garage.
Made it to O'Reilly AP. They checked the battery. Had 12v but amps were low. This was a yellow top Optima I purchased about 18 months ago. Free replacement and we will see what the future holds?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having the exact same issue with my 2013 JKU. First startup of the day it nearly stalls or outright dies when put into reverse for the first time. I took it to the dealer and they were able to replicate the issue. They did a "transmission service" which DID NOT include replacing the filter - it was just a replace of fluid with some additives. They also "flashed the TCU". That seemed to fix it for the first couple of starts, but it came right back. I recently changed the fluid and this time I dropped the pan and changed the filter. Made no difference. I am at 102000 miles, so way out of warranty.

Should I take it back to the dealer, show the tech this forum and contact Jeep Cares? I'm thinking it's the torque converter. The Jeep is perfectly fine in every other way and I just want this fixed.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Just adding my experience, I had the "stall when shifting into reverse on a cold morning" issue a few years ago. Once the issue was reliably occurring, I took a video of it happening before taking to the dealer, knowing full well that issues ALWAYS stop happening at the dealer and you get the "too bad so sad here's the bill for looking at it" trope.

Like clockwork, dealer could not reproduce the issue. I texted the video to the service advisor I always use (friend of some Jeep friends) and he ordered the replacement torque converter right then and there. 2016 Jeep had 59,964 miles at the time, just inside the powertrain warranty.

When they got the transmission down they found a puddle of trans fluid inside the bell housing, which is not supposed to happen and directly confirmed the torque converter was the culprit. I have not had this issue resurface since then.

461 - 475 of 475 Posts