Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening,

I have an 87 yj experience the following problem.
Just recently...
When the parking/headlights are on and you press the brake, the right tail light goes out.
I have replaced the bulb, checked the wiring inside the tail light housing and nothing.
I see that there seems to be a trailer light connector leading off the wires.
I was thinking off disconnecting this connector, but I don't want to rattle the cage so to speak.
Any suggestions would be most appreciated

Thank you

·
Registered
159 Posts
sounds like bad ground, you may have to check those wires at the trailer connector,quik connectors damage the original wires, they corrode and fall apart, the only way to know is to dig in!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I will dig in...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Check the front bulb, sometimes the filaments come in comtact and short the system out

·
Registered
10,334 Posts
sounds like bad ground, you may have to check those wires at the trailer connector,quik connectors damage the original wires, they corrode and fall apart, the only way to know is to dig in!
+1

The running light is using the brake light filament as a virtual ground. That does away when you press on the brake.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, day off and started to trouble shoot.
Now the status is even worse. When I turn on the headlights, everything up front works.
In the rear, the following is occurring:
Left tail is not on, but blinker is working
Right tail is on, but blinker is not working
No brake lights when break is applied.
Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thank you in advance

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check the front bulb, sometimes the filaments come in comtact and short the system out
Are talking about the headlight? Thank you.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Are talking about the headlight? Thank you.
Negative, check all of the 1157 park/ts bulbs, since you have it apart, just replace all of them, can't hurt anyway.
This is a fairly common issue, when the filaments contact each other, it will cause an internal short which back feeds into the flasher module and makes all sorts of goofy things happen.
P

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Negative, check all of the 1157 park/ts bulbs, since you have it apart, just replace all of them, can't hurt anyway.
This is a fairly common issue, when the filaments contact each other, it will cause an internal short which back feeds into the flasher module and makes all sorts of goofy things happen.
P
Thanks going to get bulbs!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to keep beating a dead horse.
I changed both 1157's in tail light assembly. The right side assembly is rusted out where the 1157 bulb would sit. Previous owner has an after market light socket with 2 wires. Should it be three? When I ground the base of the socket, I activate break lights.
Are the tail lights daisy chained?
I have also heard that the front headlights may play a factor. I had replaced the front left just before things started to go haywire.

Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If that is the case, I would recommend replacing the tail light assembiles. There are some good LED upgrades out there.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would start with what you changed first before you started having probs. Your headlight. Then I would just get new taillights. They are cheap if you look. Saw some at O'Reilly's here by me for $17 a piece. Whole thing. Rusted parts? Get rid of 'em. My3¢

·
Registered
225 Posts
ps, check/replace the front 1157 bulbs as well...

There are two different bulbs in the rear housing
1156 reverse lamp
1157 Tail/Brake
They have to be in the correct place or all sorts of goofy crap starts happening...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Replaced tail light assembly. Now, I have Tail lights, but no brake or turn Signal...

This is getting stranger and stranger. Checked fuses as well and all our good.

Front turn signals work.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Depending on if you used the harness to plug in or aired if in directly, if you wired it in see if break lite turns on in reverse. If it does its wired to reverse wire and you need to swap 'em.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update...
Thank you all for your help!!

I have all necessary lights!.

Summary,
Replaced all bulbs. I had 2057 in the front blinkers
Replaced tail light assembly on driver side.
Cleaned all head light, side marker and front blinker connectors.
Retraced all wiring back to front and found a small splice that was barely connecting on the passenger side.
Couldn't have done it with out your help and guidance.
Thank you very much!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts