Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to begin the process of building a jeep themed adventure trailer. It is basically going to be for carrying some camping equipment, hunting equipment, dog stuff, and the occasional trip to home depot... I know several of you have built awesome looking ones either from scratch or from small trailer frames that were modified so i'd just like to get anyone's input on where to start. I'd probably be looking at modifying an older Jeep Tub, an aftermarket Tub specifically made for this or something like that to fit onto an existing trailer frame/axle ( I know there has been mention of using Harbor Freight trailers) as opposed to making one myself. This is not necessarily because i'm scared to attempt that sort of undertaking, its mainly because my welding experience is limited and I don't want to mess around on the part that's carrying the bulk of the weight. Adding a panel to a tub or a less critical part would be fine.

Among the many things that could be helpful are links to yall's awesome build threads.

My checklist:

5X4.5 bolt pattern or something that adapts easily so i can get matching wheels (why have a jeep trailer if the wheels dont match?)

A jeep-shaped tub - although any box will look close enough with some tail lights and fender flares.

As light as possible (although i have an LJ so its probably not as big of a deal as it would be if i had a TJ)

I'd also love any info you guys have on modifying old military trailers - although it seems like most of those are big (like made to be towed behind a deuce and a half)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome. Thanks for the link. Anyone have any experience with this? I know the guy who designed it is on here somewhere.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I am really digging the little 53 inch trailer. I wonder how much they cost...

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
NC Bear said:
I am really digging the little 53 inch trailer. I wonder how much they cost...
Click on the pricing link to the left

Compact base $789

Compact tailgate $859

Extended base $889

Extended tailgate $959

You still have to supply a trailer and a tailgate if you get the tailgate package, which they offer...

·
Registered
500 Posts
I've had a small trailer in mind for a bit now and I wanted something that i could mount a real jeep tailgate on and have it look like a jeep. I want to use it for camping and storing my camping equpiment. the fiberglass tub is a great design but whast about durability issues? I think I want steel for my tub.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that looks great... I have been perusing Craigslist for a small trailer like this but haven't found anything quite yet. I do like the idea of a jeep tailgate though.

I restored (and lifted) a 1951 Ben Hur..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts