Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Funny question...but we are planning a 10day offroading trip in Colorado where we will be camping off the trails. Anybody think that having food stored inside the arbfridge (which would remain in the jeep) attract bears? I tend to be a bear magnet... Or would you recommend the old tried and true method of elevating a cooler?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
hard top or soft top? haha

·
Registered
291 Posts
I don't think an ARB cooler or or a Jeep will stop a hungry bear. I would elevate it. Bears can rip through some serious stuff and shouldn't be underestimated or taken lightly. Don't risk one tearing the Jeep up, because that's what will happen. JMHO.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I don't think an ARB cooler or or a Jeep will stop a hungry bear. I would elevate it. Bears can rip through some serious stuff and shouldn't be underestimated or taken lightly. Don't risk one tearing the Jeep up, because that's what will happen. JMHO.
A gym buddy has a cabin near Bumping Lake in Washington State. He came out one morning to find a black bear had peeled the side of the door of his Ford Explorer off or some crazy thing. The only thing inside was an empty wrapper from a bag of corn nuts. Definitely no food in the jeep when camping and don't go to bed smelling like you ate bbq'd pork ribs for dinner either.

NC

·
Registered
374 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Was on Rubicon last year saw one bear left unopened food in ice chest but hung trash in tree. Yeti coolers are bear resistant when combine with locks.

sj

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
If you are truly a bear magnet you should pack (as in carry) a 454 Casull, 500 Linebaugh or similar type of bear attitude adjustment. Bear mace is very effective if said bear is not protecting it's young. you can order it or get it at some of the places like NEI, Bass Pro Shops (in bear country) Just search it by that name. It has saved many in Alaska from bears like Kodiaks and other big dangerous critters.

·
Registered
374 Posts
:rip:

They "did". RIP buddies.
:)

Bear attack tip. If you are in a group attacked by a bear, you don't have to be the fastest. Just don't be the slowest. If you are the slowest, trip someone.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I live in an area with the highest number of Grizzly bears outside of Alaska. Like mentioned above, you only have to be able to outrun the slowest member of your group :)

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
We have used "bear boxes" lined with foam board and then pack the food in dry ice for up to 7 or 8 days while in bear country.
This method has worked very successfully when we pack into the Bob Marshall.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
:)

Bear attack tip. If you are in a group attacked by a bear, you don't have to be the fastest. Just don't be the slowest. If you are the slowest, trip someone.

This is similar to advice when scuba divig. " If you see a shark, stab your buddy and get to the boat" LOL

·
Registered
2,460 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I recommend filling the ARB fridge (preferably to the brim) with beer and keeping the food elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
p.s. I've had a black bear bite through and rip open a jerrycan full of gas. I guess just to see what was inside....
I bet that was one upset bear lol expecting a mouthful of honey and getting a sip of gas instead! :atomic:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
We did fine in AK up in the Brooks range putting coolers on the roof racks and strapping them down. Don't cook or eat close to your camp site.
In places like Yosemite where bears are wise to what's in a cooler, they'll break into a car just from the sight of one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts