Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a way to lock my trunk on my 4 door jk. Saw backbone and was pretty impressed. What are all your thoughts on it?

Would the quadratop® adventure® top s work with this security system?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
I was one of the first buyers, three years ago. Still very pleased. It's a game-changer for me. I found myself very, very annoyed at having to always worry about leaving things in the back of my soft-top while away from the Jeep for long periods of time (in business meeting, at grocery store, whatever.)

Disclaimer -- the company is located in the next zip code over from me and I now know the guys who own it, although I didn't when I bought. So take that for what it's worth.

Pricey, but if you get past that, I don't think there's really any drawbacks. My understanding is that they're coming out with a HT-compatible version, if it's not already out.

The definitive thread on it (Probably best if you ask any future questions or comments in that thread, just to keep it easily findable for future searchers. And as you can tell from my thread title and your question title, this would have been an easy one for you to find with Search function. :D

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/jeep-backbone-rear-security-enclosure-trunk-726945.html

·
Registered
400 Posts
You swap out the bar at the bottom of the back window for a piece that hangs past the backbone and is held down when the back door is closed. This the biggest compromise for the product, but it is something I can certainly live with. It is a really great product and looks oem.

I live many states away from the guys that make the product and have never met them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I have used one for the past year in a 2 door with the back seat removed. It works great with a soft top, but can't be used with a hard top. Currently this week the sides and back are off the soft top and this upcoming weekend, doors and top off for Go Topless Day. No need to worry about my tools, recovery gear, etc., as they are safely locked away when the tailgate is locked. When the rear seat is needed, it takes about 1/2 hour to remove and put the seat back in.

While I do not work for the company, if you use this code: FREE366, you save $100 off and I get a $50 gift card. ;) Even with out that, I would still highly recommend one.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You swap out the bar at the bottom of the back window for a piece that hangs past the backbone and is held down when the back door is closed. This the biggest compromise for the product, but it is something I can certainly live with. It is a really great product and looks oem.

I live many states away from the guys that make the product and have never met them.

Would you need that attachment to work with the quadratop® adventure® top s

Any pictures of the attachment with the OEM soft top. Hard for me to picture

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have used one for the past year in a 2 door with the back seat removed. It works great with a soft top, but can't be used with a hard top. Currently this week the sides and back are off the soft top and this upcoming weekend, doors and top off for Go Topless Day. No need to worry about my tools, recovery gear, etc., as they are safely locked away when the tailgate is locked. When the rear seat is needed, it takes about 1/2 hour to remove and put the seat back in.

While I do not work for the company, if you use this code: FREE366, you save $100 off and I get a $50 gift card. ;) Even with out that, I would still highly recommend one.
I really like how you mounted your high lift jack there! Is there that much room on the 4 door version?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I would call or email them about compatibility with other tops. I can only speak to it working with oem.
Works the same with my BesTop.

I really like how you mounted your high lift jack there! Is there that much room on the 4 door version?
Those are bumper mounts that I used. Since the picture was taken, I moved to the same place on the inside. I have never used the jack, so I wanted it out of the way. Can't answer about the 4 door room.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I went with the Tuffy security deck - as I needed the ability to lift the top of it, as well as easily remove the top when needed. I use it with both my soft and hard tops. I lined mine with Bedrug (albeit a thicker version) to match the Bedrug in the rest of my jeep.

Just giving a possible alternative.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Works the same with my BesTop.

Those are bumper mounts that I used. Since the picture was taken, I moved to the same place on the inside. I have never used the jack, so I wanted it out of the way. Can't answer about the 4 door room.
Not sure what you mean by works the same as besTop

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I would call or email them about compatibility with other tops. I can only speak to it working with oem.

Not sure what you mean by works the same as besTop

OrangeJeep said that he "can only speak to it working with oem", I added that it also works with the BesTop soft top that I have. I believe that it will work with all soft tops.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I did a lot of research on these...liked the backbone the best of those in the market, but didn't like the price and lack of flexibility, so I built my own. You can see it here if curious:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/my-custom-power-locking-security-enclosure-2015642.html#/topics/2015642

Also, as @NoGaBiker noted, it really is a "game changer" for daily use with the Jeep....I will NEVER go back to a soft top without one...

2017 JKUWW - Granite Crystal, 24W, Auto, Premium Top, Alpine, LED Lights, Teraflex Leveling Kit, Ace Rock Sliders

·
Registered
101 Posts
OrangeJeep said that he "can only speak to it working with oem", I added that it also works with the BesTop soft top that I have. I believe that it will work with all soft tops.
Just sold mine because I got the Trektop Pro Hybrid. Before that, I was running a Trektop NX and with their rear windshield bar accessory (described earlier), it worked just fine with this top. Loved it overall. Looks and function.

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Wow, awesome work! I'm mightily impressed!

Thanks. ;)

2017 JKUWW - Granite Crystal, 24W, Auto, Premium Top, Alpine, LED Lights, Teraflex Leveling Kit, Ace Rock Sliders

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did a lot of research on these...liked the backbone the best of those in the market, but didn't like the price and lack of flexibility, so I built my own. You can see it here if curious:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/my-custom-power-locking-security-enclosure-2015642.html#/topics/2015642

Also, as @NoGaBiker noted, it really is a "game changer" for daily use with the Jeep....I will NEVER go back to a soft top without one...

Wish I had the skills to do that!

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I also went with the tuffy security enclosure and love it. While it can be used with the hard top on, i only use it when i have the soft top on. I have added lights to the inside (tied them to the dome light) and some L track to the top :).
20170510_180833.jpg

20170510_180900.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Completely disappointed with backbone!

After all the great reviews, I decided to buy it tonight. It said my credit card was not right when I entered it, but then I got a call from my bank saying they tried to charge me 3 times!

The second two were blocked automatically by my bank but the first went through but I received no receipt or confirmation....

Super sketched out by jeep backbone and don't trust them with my credit card information....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have you ever considered trying to build your own?? I plan on trying to make one myself and I have been looking at a ton of DIY ones just have to get the weekend available to start the project.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts