Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to lift my yj but not break the bank i saw some posts online that say to just do a body lift ? but i dont have a lot of money for new tires so would the car look higher up and not goofy with a body lift and stock tires ? also how much would a mechanic charge for this to be done ? do you guys think its a good idea of hold off some more to get tires along with it ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Totally depends on what you are trying to accomplish. A body lift will not gain you any more ground clearance. It will provide a bit of clearance between the tires and fender wells, but if you are not changing tires, there is really no need. I actually started out with a 1.25 inch body lift and a 1 inch motor mount lift, but I had just put 31 inch tires on it and was looking for a bit of clearance between the fender well and the new tires. I was also doing the lifts in anticipation of eventually doing a tummy tuck. The other benefit of having a small body lift is that you have better access to the frame and undercarriage and can do a better job of cleaning and treating any areas that may need some TLC on the undercarriage.

If you do go the route of a body lift, don't go crazy with a 3 inch lift, as it will look awkward and will make the vehicle a bit top heavy. Most people suggest keeping the body lift modest, no more than an inch or an inch and a quarter. However, it is your jeep, so do what suits you. Welcome to the forum and get ready to embrace the jeep mantra: JEEP= Just Empty Every Pocket!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I personally don't have one but others recommend no more than a 1" lift. You may run into issues with the shifter interfering with the tub when going into 2nd, 4th & reverse? But don't quote me on that...when I had the transfer case drop(about an inch or 1 1/2" drop, I had issues. You can remove the shifter boot and remove the inner metal framed boot for clearance- that did it for me. Your Jeep won't look awkward with a 1" lift, it's very minimal. You might start checking those bolts to see if you can break them free, they have been known to give people problems being all rusted in there and seized. Work it back and forth if it breaks free. If possible, spray some lubricant(wd-40, pb blaster) to help get them out. I'm still contemplating doing a 1" myself. If you have tools and are mechanically inclined, save your $ and do it yourself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
+1 on the application of PB Blaster on the bolts. If you do decide to do this, you should probably hit the bolts with lubricant at least once a day for about a week prior to starting the project. that will improve your potential for success. I lucked out and bought a jeep that didn't have much rust, as it had been in the desert southwest all of its life, but some have not been so fortunate. There are many on the northern border who have had to cut into the tub from the inside to extricate bolts, especially the ones in the rear corners. Another thing to keep in mind is that, you will most likely need to reuse the metal cups (? the part that sits on the top of the bushing in between the bushing and the tub), so don't toss any of them. I almost made that mistake. Fortunately, my burn barrel wasn't that full at the time!:doh:

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
The ONLY reason to do a lift, body or otherwise is to clear bigger tires and gain ground clearance...

Yes it would absolutely be goofy to body lift it on stock tires.....

Maybe save up a couple more $$ and get some 30 x 9.50 all terrain tires instead.... won't require any lift and will give you a bit more aggresive look along w more offroad capability should you venture off of the tarmac

·
Super Moderator
12,691 Posts
Gottagofast offers what I think is your best advice. The 30 X 9.5 X 15s won't require a lift and as you gain Jeeping experience and money, you'll be in a better position to not go off in a direction that you'll have to change later. You'll be enjoying your Jeep as you plan and save up for the next mod and by buying the 30" tires, you haven't done anything that you'll want to undo later.

I have a 2" lift and had some issues with clearance between my shifter and tub. I also had some issues with the length of my fuel filler & vent hoses. Plus even on a rust free tub, I had some problems with broken body bolts that required cutting and welding. Nothing insurmountable, but would be a bigger problem for a newbie than they were for me.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Fwiw here's 30x9.50 mud terrains on stock jeep with no body lift, when I first got it IMG_0004.jpg

·
Super Moderator
12,691 Posts
Fwiw here's 30x9.50 mud terrains on stock jeep with no body lift, when I first got it View attachment 3708545

That's what was on my Jeep when I bought it but with rusty chrome wheels. The wheels were so ugly that I bought new "D" slot black steel wheels. I had 31's on my Cherokee so that's what I had put on the new wheels, rather than the old tires (which were in good shape and I sold the tires with the crappy wheels).
Then I need a lift so I went with a body lift (2" was too much and I am considering getting new bolts and cutting 3/4" off the pucks).
Then I needed wider flares to try to keep my Jeep cleaner because I live on a dirt road.
Now I need a different rear axle because the 31's put a strain on the old Dana.

And on and on and on.

If I stuck with the 30's on the new wheels, I would have a good daily driver, I would have saved the cost of 4 BFG KOs, my Jeep would still be a capable vehicle for the type of 4 wheeling I do and I could have saved a bunch of money and a whole bunch of time working on my Jeep that I could have been up in the mountains. The lift kit was about a hundred bucks and the flares were probably double or triple that.

Just my opinion. It's your Jeep, do what you think is best.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The ONLY reason to do a lift, body or otherwise is to clear bigger tires and gain ground clearance...

Maybe save up a couple more $$ and get some 30 x 9.50 all terrain tires instead.... won't require any lift and will give you a bit more aggresive look along w more offroad capability should you venture off of the tarmac
yeah that is what i want that aggressive look i want the car to be higher up like not a lot but just enough to where you could tell the difference. i saw if you get higher shackles that could also be an option ? whats your opinion on that i could use all the help i could get

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

what happens if i get a 1 inch body lift with the 30 x 9.50 tires ? will it be more of an aggressive look than with just the tires ?

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Get the tires first.... if after you get the tires you want it 1" taller then, get the 1" body lift..... generally I would advise against longer shackles w stock springs...

How would it look? 1" is 1"...
We aren't talking night and day but sure it will be taller....

I suggest refocusing tho.... worry more about function and less about looks....

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
I would recommend saving your money for a little longer and spend it on a real upgrade. A 2 1/2 " suspension lift and those 30x9.50 tires.

Body lifts and shackle lifts are really kinda cheap, cheeseball, poser-ish solutions that just give you a "look" and no real improvement in ride or capability.

A quality small suspension lift will be worth the extra money spent.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
My thoughts were similar but was thinking of the building block approach...

Tires first then 1" body, then 1" motor mount, then 2 1/2" suspension then replace the 30's that should be worn by now w 31's.... then gearing..... etc.....

He can build slowly with little or no waste..... good long range vision with a touch of instant gratification

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
You forgot the acronym...
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My thoughts were similar but was thinking of the building block approach...

Tires first then 1" body, then 1" motor mount, then 2 1/2" suspension then replace the 30's that should be worn by now w 31's.... then gearing..... etc.....

He can build slowly with little or no waste..... good long range vision with a touch of instant gratification
thats an amazing approach im not in a hurry to have this all done at once so building up to it seems like the way im going through with this :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts