Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone else had had similar issues. My 2014 JKURX has burned through 3 batteries in two years. The last battery died (like totally dead) within two weeks! I've had the alternator checked by mechanics and auto stores and it checks out good, there were no parasitic draws found, no wires loose, blown fuses, or bad relays. My battery died after a 9 hour road trip which originally made me think it was the alternator intermittently failing, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The mechanics best guess is it is a faulty TIPM but he couldn't get it to show anything abnormal either.

Anyone else ever have a similar problem? For now I'm carrying around an extra battery and jump pack.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I had an alternator that was overcharging the battery once. Have you checked for that?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had an alternator that was overcharging the battery once. Have you checked for that?
The mechanic checked the alternator multiple times throughout the day and never saw anything abnormal unfortunately. The thought had crossed my mind though. Maybe the TIPM screws up the alternator to produce too high a charge on occasion and he just could get it to register there was an issue.

·
Premium Member
6,992 Posts
With a new battery installed have you checked the system voltage when at about 1500 RPM? Should not be over 14.4v.

·
Premium Member
8,201 Posts
I would be willing to bet that you have a bad battery ground.

·
Premium Member
8,201 Posts
Bad negative battery cable or for that fact it could even be the positive cable. That would explain why your battery was dead after a 9 hour road trip. Power to TIPM and I think ground are common at the battery so even if the battery is not in the circuit it will run. And the stock battery clamps are very bad. Easy to check also, if you can grab the clamp and turn it with just a little effort that could be your problem.

Reactions: god_flame
1 - 9 of 9 Posts