Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, in my quest to find the right jeep for me.
Because of how much they hold their value, I've descided
to go new. This way I KNOW it's bone stock! Also, since they
hold their value well, it's not that much more expensive then a used one, and I know it hasn't been beaten to hell and back.

I have narrowed it down to 1 of two options.

Option 1:

• Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
  • Orange
  • Hard Top
  • Manual Transmition
  • 3.73 Gear Ratio
  • Max Tow Package
  • $28, 175 Total
Option 2:

• Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
  • Orange
  • Hard Top
  • Manual Transmition
  • 4.10 Gear Ratio
  • Max Tow Package
  • $36, 575

My main reason for considering the Rubicon is the locking diffs.
I don't plan on doing alot of extreme off roading, but do I really
want to risk not having it and need it?

The 8000 dollar price differeence is why I'm considering the sport.

What do you guys think?

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
You do not need the Rubicon if your not going to crawl and use it for all it's worth. The first jeep will do all you need and you can spend the difference $$$ for mods on it.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty much what I was asking. Thanks. I've been watching some you tube videos, and I saw a few BLSD jeeps struggling on some snow/ice hills. But I guess that's what wenches are for. ;)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Agree Completely

You do not need the Rubicon if your not going to crawl and use it for all it's worth. The first jeep will do all you need and you can spend the difference $$$ for mods on it.
I love the Rubicon, but only if I was going to do a lot of rock crawling. People who buy a Rubicon will still raise it, put taller wider tires on it, etc. spending even more money. For all the money you save, you can use that money to lift, buy bigger and wider tires, improve the sterio, improve the lights, put on rock guards, etc. If you find yourself wanting to rock crawl a lot, you can put in different gears and locking/unlocking sway bars at a later time. I have taken my Jeep Oscar Mike edition to Moab, and other places and crawled on rocks with no problem. I just don't tackle the very difficult stuff and I am talking VERY difficult. I have taken mine on some difficult rides that doesn't have a great deal of articulation with no problem at all. I spent my extra money on the things I mentioned. On ice, most all the Jeeps, whether Rubicon or not, will have problems, especially if you have mud tires on. With ice, it is time to put on chains.

Just my opionion - I'm sure the Rubicon people may disagree

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok Thanks!

How much does the Wench cost? Can you get one factory installed? I didn't see the option.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would go w/option #1, and build from there. You'd be amazed at where you can go in stock form. You really don't need lockers unless your going to do a lot of crawling. Wheel with it in stock mode for a while then decide on lift and tires. My stock 2dr has gotten me in and out of areas I thought I would never make it. Mostly desert wheeling for me since I live between Carson City and Vegas. This week I'm doing a 2.5 lift w/33's. Winch and bumpers will come in the following months. You can do a lot more with that extra 8k and make it "yours".

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I agree that especially the first Jeep experience, has so much to offer that a more basic version will give surprising capability for an incredible extension of the Outdoor Experience.

That extra $8000 adds more trinkets, much of which are less necessary than one would think. As the Jeeping miles increase, one can easily focus on that direction of mod that is more desirable for the individual.

I'm on my 4th Jeep and STILL prefer to start naked. I can put on whatever I want with the $ not spent in the first place.

·
Registered
728 Posts
x2 I have a rubi but I do alot of rock crawling and back woodsing :rofl: is that a word:eek:
Why would you need a winch if you don't go out crawling:confused: You can get an after market winch for under $500.00 bucks.
2 weeks ago I was up playing in the brush and a couple of kids (stock jeep and toy) followed me up this old fire road. I had to turn around and winch them up the hill. Then because the toy was carbed I had to tow him the rest of the way up the hill.......gotta love them Rubi's.....you get a lot for the extra money not just the locking diffs but also the gear driven xfer:dance:

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Lockers would be my only reason for getting the Rubi. But it sounds like BLSD would get me through anything I would need to go through. The only other feature the Rubi seems to have that the Sport doesnt is the 115V Outlet. But that's an easy mod to do.
Thanks for the input
:dance:

x2 I have a rubi but I do alot of rock crawling and back woodsing :rofl: is that a word:eek:
Why would you need a winch if you don't go out crawling:confused: You can get an after market winch for under $500.00 bucks.
2 weeks ago I was up playing in the brush and a couple of kids (stock jeep and toy) followed me up this old fire road. I had to turn around and winch them up the hill. Then because the toy was carbed I had to tow him the rest of the way up the hill.......gotta love them Rubi's.....you get a lot for the extra money not just the locking diffs but also the gear driven xfer:dance:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts