Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So not long had the jeep and I bought it to replace my Vw campervan as it was becoming to impractical, one of the things I had read was about being able to hang a hammock from the roll bars inside, I know
You can in the later models but inside the tinny Tj ???.so I went out camping over the weekend in the pouring rain and tested it...yes you can!.

So I though I would post up some pics for anyone else that was considering it at any point, I’m 6ft and not a small guy so if I can do it I would say most could.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Too cool. Makes me feel wimpy taking my motor home and towing my Jeep.
Ha ha ha ha ha. That just made me laugh my butt off.
:drinks:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Hex!! That’s awesome. Now if I can only figure out where my wife is gonna sleep!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Wow, I'd never thought of that. I do a lot of hammock camping and fight to find good trees at times on some front country stuff.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have a simple story of camping most probably wont believe.

my dad and i (years ago"10+") went in on a "Hunting" tent its a solid canvas tent from norseman.

its a great tent .. huge .. i can fit everything easily in the jeep with the back seats down also.

If i dont bring the pole's its even smaller. you can cut down trees to make poles quite simply as-well.

anyway.

people forgot about canvas tents i guess.

its so open and easy.. using a cot you can setup like 5-6 cots and a air tight stove or alternative no smoke stove for heat.. warm - dry - easy and its big you can walk around so much so we often leave the campers parked.

it can also be setup without a center pole if you use a come along between 2 trees as a center line.

i see posts like this all the time.. but honestly you dont need to sleep in your jeep to camp. just saying.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Blacktj02 I do love a canvas tent but for the kind of stuff I do regularly I don’t need a big base camp, if I was going to be in -0 temps for a few days I would probably operate out of a canvas lavu tent with wood burner I think. We don’t have a lot of wild space in the uk so don’t have much room for multi day outback trips so don’t need lots of kit.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out what it is about "I sleep in a canvas tent" that people won't believe...

·
Registered
02 TJ
1,600 Posts
Nice setup! Looks fun, excited that camping season is basically here! (Florida camping season comes a little late lol)

I do something similar, but made a fold out platform that fits in my TJ trunk. Folds out to fit a blow up twin size mattress. I just got a soft top, so I plan on making a canvas that zips into my rear window so I can actually enclose my setup.

Good stuff. Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice setup! Looks fun, excited that camping season is basically here! (Florida camping season comes a little late lol)

I do something similar, but made a fold out platform that fits in my TJ trunk. Folds out to fit a blow up twin size mattress. I just got a soft top, so I plan on making a canvas that zips into my rear window so I can actually enclose my setup.

Good stuff. Cheers
That’s a very cool set up and a great idea with the zip in canvas extensions

·
Registered
149 Posts
So not long had the jeep and I bought it to replace my Vw campervan as it was becoming to impractical, one of the things I had read was about being able to hang a hammock from the roll bars inside, I know
You can in the later models but inside the tinny Tj ???.so I went out camping over the weekend in the pouring rain and tested it...yes you can!.

So I though I would post up some pics for anyone else that was considering it at any point, I’m 6ft and not a small guy so if I can do it I would say most could.
That's awesome! I use a hammock every day in my Kenworth T680 day cab. What are the specs on the hammock you used? I need to do more camping in my Jeep.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was trying to figure out where I could hang my Hammock in my JK. I can see securing it to the roll bar in the back but where are you attaching it in the front? I also hang a cot in my jeep by suspending with two ratchet straps but that doesn't leave much room and is tricky getting in and out of the cot.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I use a silk hammock the style that folds into its own pouch (bought from eBay), I think you need to us a silk hammock because you can set it up inside the jeep quite straight and then lay across it to make more space, and it doesn’t need to be used with the inbuilt rope.
I hang the back on the roll bar as it starts to curve and then the front left corner by the windscreen, but I wrap the hammock material over the bar and then tie a knot in it, same as the rear. So I’m not using the cord to tie it up as it would make the hammock way to long, it needs to be straighter than you would think but with a silk hammock you can lay across them so it gives you more room to stretch out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've been camping wrong this whole time!
Years of academy training gone to waste!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Came back looking for this thread as the more I've thought about it, the more I like the idea.

Does anyone know of an insulated hammock with good wicking properties?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Reactions: Bmidbar

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Came back looking for this thread as the more I've thought about it, the more I like the idea.

Does anyone know of an insulated hammock with good wicking properties?
Us a hammock under blanket, of you haven’t seen them they hang just under your hammock skin and insulate the air under you that would normally make you freeze, that way you can have a lighter breathable sleeping bag. Send pics of your set up when you try it out 😉

·
Registered
345 Posts
Us a hammock under blanket, of you haven’t seen them they hang just under your hammock skin and insulate the air under you that would normally make you freeze, that way you can have a lighter breathable sleeping bag. Send pics of your set up when you try it out 😉
Yes, learned about underquilts pretty quick. Have a Klymit Insulated Static V Lite Sleeping Pad on its way and am going to do an ENO Reactor hammock and an ENO Ember underquilt. In the hammock itself will use a 0 degree sleeping bag that I keep in a rollbar bag on one of the rear rollbars I've had forever.

First time overnight temps go to single digits or lower I'll rig it all up and sleep in my jeep in the garage before actually going out. Anything doesn't work or I get too cold I just walk in the garage door and down the hall.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts