Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I moved recently from dry Arizona to humid Houston TX

In Arizona I kept my jeep outside all year round since 2004 which is when I bought it. Didn't have a spot of rust on it.

But now after being in Houston just a few months, my jeep is getting ALOT of surface rust particularly on the scratched and dented areas but also on the oxidized rattle can painted areas.

First I need to remove the surface rust with a brush wheel, etc. THen I will rattle can paint.

But I also need to get a good car cover for it since I don't have room in my garage for the jeep. So I'm looking on Quadratec and they have car covers that go up in price to nearly $400.

Question, are those $400 covers worth it? We get HEAVY storms here in Houston. Or can I just buy a big heavy tarp and just cover the jeep that way (much less money than a custom car cover). My jeep is by no means a show n shine. I just want to prevent rust.

based on all that, what would you recommend for a cover for my jeep? A sub $100 jeep cover... or a $400 jeep cover... or a big heavy but inexpensive tarp?

Thanks!

Ben

·
Premium Member
4,954 Posts
Trail cover by Besttop. Around 120.00 I think.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the bestop trail cover is just for the cab though, or am I wrong?

I need something to cover the whole body of the jeep.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
28,214 Posts
I vote for a good heavy duty tarp. my buddy used the the really nice, expensive car covers for his MG before he moved into a house with a garage, every year, he had to replace them as removing and putting it on would wear holes in it. even last fall, while his car was outside while the house was being remodeled, the nice new cover leaked, causing the car to leak(what do you expect, its a MG).

now the entire off season for the last 5 years, i lend my 20' x 25" hardware store tarp to my neighbor to cover his boat. bone dry underneath year after year, even when it had several feet of snow sitting on top of it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A tarp is a bad idea, it traps water inside and causes corrosion just a light breathable cover is best. Had a car I kept outside in the winter with just a car cover, one year I decided to add a little extra protection with a tarp. Needles to say, all the aluminum turned white and pitted and other metal surfaces rusted pretty bad.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks. I was hoping a tarp would work. Shoot. But I see what you mean about wanting to let it breath.

The problem I'm envisioning with the light breathable cover is what schnutzy was describing. And we get some heavy rain storms here and I think the breathable car cover may not keep out the rain. But I guess I can remove it after each storm to machine wash it.

Which brand of cover is recommended? I want something tough (think TARP TOUGH) that will last long time, breath (since thats the point of going with the cover instead of tarp). I also need to be able to secure it well so it doesn't blow away like I see some do on a vette at work. lol.

Also I just don't want to spend a lot only to end up throwing it away and buying a tarp. But if it does the job and holds up against the weather then it is worth it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you thought much about them metal carports, you can always put tarps on the sides to keep out the rain.
I like that idea. But for now I'm keeping it simple with a tarp or cover.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts