Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Water came in and filled up about an inch or 2 above the bottom door hinge. Flooded the interior about half way up to the shifter consol.

Problems:
-Check engine light is on (how do make it display the code on the dash)
-when shifting into drive or reverse the jeep bucks hard into gear as it does when you shift into 4L.
-interior flooded. So im concerned about salt water corrosion. I pulled all the carpets and opened the drain holes. I took the hose and rinsed the interior out with fresh water and hosed off the underbody. So i at least minimalized salt water sitting on stuff
-i cannot get the jeep out of drive without using the manual override button by the shifter. So i know there will be some water damage. I just hope its all repairable

I am insured for flood thank god. But long term salt water damage concerns me.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Water came in and filled up about an inch or 2 above the bottom door hinge. Flooded the interior about half way up to the shifter consol.

Problems:
-when shifting into drive or reverse the jeep bucks hard into gear as it does when you shift into 4L.
-interior flooded. So im concerned about salt water corrosion. I pulled all the carpets and opened the drain holes. I took the hose and rinsed the interior out with fresh water and hosed off the underbody. So i at least minimalized salt water sitting on stuff
-i cannot get the car out of drive without using the manual override button by the shifter. So i know there will be some water damage. I just hope its all repairable

The biggest risk is hydro locking the engine, doesn't sound like you did that, because it still runs...

dash check engine light won't blink, you need an OBD2 scanner.

replacing tranny fluid *might* clear up the hard shifts. I'd check the TC and diff fluids out too, and extend your breather tubes if you plan on pulling another chadwick.

calling your jeep a car is sorta frowned upon in this forum...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get rid of it if you can. Jeep is meant to DRIVE through this crap, not sit submerged in it for hours.
How do i just get ride of it? Its financed and owned it less than a year

·
Registered
536 Posts
Pomz623 said:

Problems:
-i cannot get the jeep out of drive without using the manual override button by the shifter. So i know there will be some water damage. I just hope its all repairable

I think water and dirt got in one of the breather hoses. I'd take it to the dealer

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Put your key in the initiation and turn it forward all the way but not on. I think it is three clicks to accessories. Go back and forth 3 times in rapid succession and it will display the error code for you. For shifting hard could be a number of things but you are going to open up the diffs, clean them out and put new diff oil in. Any time you are in standing dirty water for awhile you need to do this.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Drain the tranny and clean it out. I'd pull up the shifter boot and clean everything out. Power wash the undercarriage. I know boys that have these on the beach all the time. While they may not soak in salt water they get a lot of it on their rigs. Just clean her off and good luck!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im assuming not to drive it and just tow it to the dealer and have them check everything. Or just check stuff myself? Its insured. So the tranny or dif would just get replaced i guess

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
How do i just get ride of it? Its financed and owned it less than a year
Trade it in and take the loss. It will be far cheaper in the long run. Salt water will destroy anything electrical it has made contact with. Unless the insurance is going to cover a complete rewiring/repairing of everything, suck it up and take the loss.

calling your jeep a car is sorta frowned upon in this forum...
I could be wrong, but I highly doubt he cares right now, if ever. :whistling:

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Water may have got in breather tubes, if so there may be water in tranny, and even the axles. Tranny tube is more likely though. One reason I did a Smilin Bob breather extension kit on mine. Insurance should pay for any damage though. If it did get in the tranny it may be the code you are receiving. Not sure I would drive it until you can get it checked out.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts