Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Bingo. There is no tradition to the 10-year cycle, and no reason they can't deviate from it. It just happens to be how the product cycle fell.

If it comes out 2nd quarter of 2017, they are going to call it a 2018. They want to report strong sales of a new model, and and will get it by adding 9 months to the model year instead of subtracting 3.

The Cherokee should be evidence enought that Fiat is willing to break tradition.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Bingo. There is no tradition to the 10-year cycle, and no reason they can't deviate from it. It just happens to be how the product cycle fell.
I'm sure they use is at as a guideline, but are flexible on when they are ready to unveil it, companies don't always meet deadlines.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Milos just updated his site indicating a new Wrangler for MY 2018:

2015 Jeep Wrangler (includes WK2Jeeps.com exclusive advance info)

• Production startup July 21, 2014
  • Same drivetrain as 2014 models
  • Minor changes
2016 Jeep Wrangler (includes WK2Jeeps.com exclusive advance info)

• Production startup July, 2015
  • Second to last model year of current generation
  • Minor changes
2017 Jeep Wrangler (includes WK2Jeeps.com exclusive advance info)

• Production startup July 2016
  • Last model year of JK generation
  • Minor changes
2018 Jeep Wrangler (includes WK2Jeeps.com exclusive advance info)

• Production startup Spring 2017
  • All-new "JL" Wrangler

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
If anything, I would expect exactly the opposite, because I am betting the percentage is closer to 10% then 75%. Its more important for them to satisfy the bigger crowd, and save gas for CAFE, then it is to feed the few hardcore fans. They can always have a high end model like a Rubicon Heavy Duty or something, or just build limited edition models that they can control output of, but the main goal will be to maximize sales and stay within CAFE.
I understand your concern, but the Wrangler has always been the flagship model and really, historically, it has always been available in its traditional form - a short wheelbase, solid axle, removable top 4x4 that is relatively inexpensive.

Yes, the appeal has been broadened with the 4 door and LJ models, and yes, they have built a 2x4. But they have ALWAYS made something that stuck close to the original intent, and I don't see this time being any different. This is not the first time there have been headwinds, EPA constraints, insurance, Japanese competition, the birth of the crossover, higher gas prices, yet generation after generation of Wrangler has stuck to the same basic form. What is it about 2017 that is so different?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I understand your concern, but the Wrangler has always been the flagship model and really, historically, it has always been available in its traditional form - a short wheelbase, solid axle, removable top 4x4 that is relatively inexpensive.

Yes, the appeal has been broadened with the 4 door and LJ models, and yes, they have built a 2x4. But they have ALWAYS made something that stuck close to the original intent, and I don't see this time being any different. This is not the first time there have been headwinds, EPA constraints, insurance, Japanese competition, the birth of the crossover, higher gas prices, yet generation after generation of Wrangler has stuck to the same basic form. What is it about 2017 that is so different?
The more they sell, the more they bump up against CAFE numbers, they will be forced to make changes or take a hit. So enormous popularity is a blessing and a curse, at least for the hardcore fans.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Word is now that the next Wrangler may be largely replacing steel with aluminum.

Before anyone says "OMG, aluminum Wranglers will suck", please explain to me how dropping 500 - 1000 pounds, eliminating body rust, and increasing mpgs is bad.

Dropping weight will make a better off roader, give better on road handling, increase performance, and increase mpgs. It is truly a win-win-win.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Aluminum is extremely hard to paint. Insurance rates for an aluminum Wrangler will for sure go up as the time to prep the body for painting is about twice as long than steel.

This I know. We build aluminum chassis her in our shop.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Aluminum is extremely hard to paint. Insurance rates for an aluminum Wrangler will for sure go up as the time to prep the body for painting is about twice as long than steel.

This I know. We build aluminum chassis her in our shop.....This is why all commercial aircraft are made of plate steel.....:censored:

·
Registered
1,424 Posts

This does seem to be the way things are going though. The 2015 F-150 is going to lead off in pushing this with extensive use of aluminum.

It has been the number 1 selling vehicle in the US forever, so it will be interesting to see what Ford does to streamline the process.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
.This is why all commercial aircraft are made of plate steel.....:censored:
Had to laugh at that one... Look at the finish of a $400,000 Cessna Skyhawk, all exposed rivets and wavy panels. If the cheapest bottom-of-the-barrel $9,000 Hyundai came finished in that quality, it'd be laughed out of production in a week.

Aircraft rules don't apply to the automotive world at all.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Ford has been using aluminum hoods for a good while now. And painting aluminum is not difficult. I did it in the USMC for 6 years (Jet aircraft). 1000 grit buff,water break free surface, alidine wash, polyurethane (Imron to be exact). no more difficult than a car as far as coatings application.

Look at all the aluminum fishing boats..... Aluminum is a great material. Yes it dents and smashes. But it also does not rust away to nothing because of salt and others chems that destroy carbon steel so readily. You can cut an aluminum engine block in half, weld it back together, re machine it and its good as new. Try that with cast iron.

Anyone remember a Jag XKE, all aluminum body. Excellent automobile. I would not even hesitate to run an aluminum body jeep. I wouldn't call the thin steel that's on a JK exactly bullet proof as it is.

Just saying

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Yesterday, Chrysler announced that they were discontinuing the Dodge Grand Caravan. They announced that the "Chrysler" brand was to be their main-streem brand. Dodge was going to become their "performance" Brand Jeep was to be their specialty brand.

Today they release this:
New Jeep Grand Wagoneer revised Wrangler and refreshed Grand Cherokee coming - MSN Autos

Interestingly, they identify Jeep as their most valuable brand. ( no argument there )

Always changing their colors......

I remember when Plymouth ( my first car ) was still a player in the game. The ole' starbucks vs seattle's best competing against yourself game.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The only real piece of information is the Jeep CEo is on difficult ground. If he keeps doing the same thing, sales will not go up. Eventually, Toyota will make a serious replacement for the FJ Cruizer. Their "brake lock differential" was supposed to be excellent. They are blending Toyota racing group and the factory. Mopar still seems massively separate.

Jeep will change. It has to some degree. We keep asking for change. Diesel! Turbocharged!

I'm new here, but Jeep has difficult task. Appease die hard fans and yet still draw new faces in tougher and tougher market. Check out Subaru. Tell me they aren't gunning for Audi. Subaru reliability crushes Audi. If Toyota made a wrangler copy, would you buy it? Just asking.

The CEo is going to continue to leak information to warm us up to the new wrangler. Who knows, maybe it is better? Diesel with affordable quality lift option straight from factory? Throw in some 35s and call it a party!

·
Registered
83 Posts

Right. And isn't aluminum more difficult to repair?

I prefer my jeeps to be heavy, square, and gas guzzle.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ford has been using aluminum hoods for a good while now. And painting aluminum is not difficult. I did it in the USMC for 6 years (Jet aircraft). 1000 grit buff,water break free surface, alidine wash, polyurethane (Imron to be exact). no more difficult than a car as far as coatings application.

Look at all the aluminum fishing boats..... Aluminum is a great material. Yes it dents and smashes. But it also does not rust away to nothing because of salt and others chems that destroy carbon steel so readily. You can cut an aluminum engine block in half, weld it back together, re machine it and its good as new. Try that with cast iron.

Anyone remember a Jag XKE, all aluminum body. Excellent automobile. I would not even hesitate to run an aluminum body jeep. I wouldn't call the thin steel that's on a JK exactly bullet proof as it is.

Just saying
That's an expensive Jaguar. Just reading a couple articles, dont jags have to be taken to specialty shops for repair? That means $$$.

DailyTech - Report: Cost of Aluminum Vehicle Repairs Will Hit Body Shops, Consumers Hard

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140203/RETAIL05/302039915/body-shops-say-aluminum-costs-more-to-repair

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
^ Just have to keep in mind that all new technologies were once regarded like that... Disc brakes? God help ya when those need work! Fuel injected? Thats gonna cost a fortune to maintain. Turbocharging is only for race cars! Electric fuel pump in the tank? Madness, you're going to explode!

As it becomes mainstream and everyone has to equip themselves to fix it, the prices normalize. You can even watch it trickle down... 20 years ago aluminum body and suspension parts were reserved for supercars. Tons of sub-$30k cars already have aluminum body and suspension components.

Carbon fiber is next. Pretty much a supercar material now, but it will start showing up in mainstream cars within 10 years.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ford has been using aluminum hoods for a good while now. And painting aluminum is not difficult. I did it in the USMC for 6 years (Jet aircraft). 1000 grit buff,water break free surface, alidine wash, polyurethane (Imron to be exact). no more difficult than a car as far as coatings application. <snip>
Good points and good info! My old Rovers took paint fine (when I bothered). The next gen F150 is supposedly almost all aluminum (body not frame); loses ~700 lbs. Jeeps should be light; would far prefer seeing aluminum body if it means keeping the solid axles. I would be thrilled if my JKU lost ~400-500 lbs.

Speaking of axles, is there any reason a de Dion setup couldn't be used on a rugged 4x4? Solid axle geometry with unsprung weight advantage of independent suspension. More complex which is a negative but simpler (I think) than IFS/IRS.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm new here, but Jeep has difficult task. Appease die hard fans and yet still draw new faces in tougher and tougher market. Check out Subaru. Tell me they aren't gunning for Audi. Subaru reliability crushes Audi. If Toyota made a wrangler copy, would you buy it? Just asking.
I've had a Toyota Tacoma and it was OK, but not built for a work truck.
Ford truck quality surpasses Toyota IMO.
No I would not buy a Wrangler copy made by Toyota.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.