Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 94 jeep Cherokee won't start I changed the plug/wires it started just fine then I changed cap/rotor now it won't start I'm getting power to my coil but no spark any ideas would be awesome thanks

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I'm assuming it will turn over? Any misfires?

You could have installed the cap/rotor wrong or put in a bad one. My favorite is switching up the wires... Easier to do that you'd like to think.

P.S. Make sure you quote me for me to see you replied, I don't cruise the general forums often. Also include engine info. Though most XJs are like YJs and TJs, they have significant differences...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've checked all that I'm getting spark now but still won't start I'm getting fuel to so Idk what the deal is

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
So you have spark and it turns over?

·
Registered
61 Posts
When you changed the cap, make sure you got the wires back on in the correct distributor rotation, and firing order. I have put them on backwards before.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I've checked all that I'm getting spark now but still won't start I'm getting fuel to so Idk what the deal is
If you verify that your engine turns over, your spark plugs are getting spark, and your firing order is correct (determined by the spark plug wire locations on the distributor cap, then you probably don't have air or fuel getting into the engine.

Your engine needs compressed air and fuel in a combustion chamber with spark and a kick start. If you have the starter turning over the engine and spark at the plugs, then I would check air first. Remove the air hose to expose the throttle body, and have someone turn the key as you open the throttle just a little bit. If it starts, your IACV is clogged.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts