Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I take mass transit to work during the week so my new Jeep will be sitting in the Georgia sun during the week so I'd like to get a cover to help protect the soft top and the paint from bird s#&t. Can anyone suggest a good quality full cover and tell me what I should be looking for in a cover.

I found these few on the Quadratec web site but I'm open to suggestions.

Quadratec 11081 2011 - Quadratec® Softbond 5-Layer Car Cover for 07-16 Jeep® Wrangler JK 2 Door - Quadratec
Smittybilt 830 - Smittybilt Full Cover in Gray for 07-16 Jeep® Wrangler JK 2 Door - Quadratec

·
Registered
351 Posts
What happens when one of those random Georgia Spring showers comes along as you're getting off the bus on your way home? While both of those covers are ideal for sun/bird dropping protection, I'd look at an emergency top (QuadraTop 11174 1041 - QuadraTop® Emergency Top for 07-16 Jeep® Wrangler JK 2 Door - Quadratec). While it won't protect your hood from the elements, it will allow you to drive home if your jeep is topless and/or doorless. I have a Pavement Ends version, but it is basically the same.

Otherwise, I use the Bestop Trail cover (Bestop 81040-09 - Bestop® All Weather Trail Cover in Charcoal for 07-16 Jeep® Wrangler JK 2 Door - Quadratec) for extended parking when the Jeep is naked. Both of the covers you linked seem adequate for your needs if your ride is fully assembled.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What happens when one of those random Georgia Spring showers comes along as you're getting off the bus on your way home? While both of those covers are ideal for sun/bird dropping protection, I'd look at an emergency top (QuadraTop 11174 1041 - QuadraTop® Emergency Top for 07-16 Jeep® Wrangler JK 2 Door - Quadratec). While it won't protect your hood from the elements, it will allow you to drive home if your jeep is topless and/or doorless. I have a Pavement Ends version, but it is basically the same.

Otherwise, I use the Bestop Trail cover (Bestop 81040-09 - Bestop® All Weather Trail Cover in Charcoal for 07-16 Jeep® Wrangler JK 2 Door - Quadratec) for extended parking when the Jeep is naked. Both of the covers you linked seem adequate for your needs if your ride is fully assembled.
Thanks for the tip Keiff, I'm very fortunate in that I can walk to the train which takes me two blocks from my job, I'm a road rage kinda' guy so I've been fortunate not to have to deal with commuting for over 20 years. That's the reason my last car was 20 years old and had about 80K miles on it, the car sits in the driveway during the week so I really just want something to protect it from the midday sun. I may give that Trail Cover another look, I like that it seems easy to get on and off, but I just need to make sure it fits with the light bar.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Take a look at Raingear covers at jeepcovers.com.

I had one for my LJ and my JKR and one is in the mail for my JKU now.

They're very well made, cover the door gaps, and are easy to use.

I bought a Bestop cover for my JKR and it was a complete piece of crap. Sent it back and got another Raingear cover.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I've had the Smittybilt cover. It works fine, but isn't waterproof if that's a concern (I leave my top down/doors off April through Nov). It ended up ripping after a year of off/on, but hooking on the metal edge of the front of the soft top may have been what started it.

After the Smitty ripped, I went with a generic one off ebay... It looked exactly the same, but the heat started destroying it almost immediately. White, dusty flakes started coming off the inside and getting all over everything. If you read some of the Smittybilt comments, I think someone says this same thing about their cover. I think they may be from the same place in China and sold under different brand names.

I just bought a cover by Rampage. Its a more generic cover of the same material without mirror pockets or an antenna hole. Its also cut smaller, and feel like its going to wind up ripping from trying to stretch over the 35" spare. I have just started using it, so I can't really comment on its water resistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts