Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, noticed that a few times in the last 2 winters, and thought I'd finally ask, due to it happening again today due to freezing rain here in southern Canada.

So here goes.....

When I start the Jeep and put it in reverse on slippery surfaces, the darn thing pulls backward so much, that even if I apply the brakes hard, it stills pulls the Jeep backward, almost as if pressing the brakes locks the front wheels, but not the rear wheels.

Therefore, the rear wheels keep pulling the jeep rearward with the front brakes locked. So not only do I keep going, but since the front brakes are locked, the steering does not respond!!!! I eventually come to a stop, but emergency braking is out of the question. It might do it going forward, but I haven't tried it.

So before I hit a pedestrian at the end of my driveway (In the middle of winter, snowbanks are so high that you don't see pedestrians before you get to the street), I'd like to know if this has happened to anybody else ???

thanks.

Vendor
Guys, noticed that a few times in the last 2 winters, and thought I'd finally ask, due to it happening again today due to freezing rain here in southern Canada.

So here goes.....

When I start the Jeep and put it in reverse on slippery surfaces, the darn thing pulls backward so much, that even if I apply the brakes hard, it stills pulls the Jeep backward, almost as if pressing the brakes locks the front wheels, but not the rear wheels.

Therefore, the rear wheels keep pulling the jeep rearward with the front brakes locked. So not only do I keep going, but since the front brakes are locked, the steering does not respond!!!! I eventually come to a stop, but emergency braking is out of the question. It might do it going forward, but I haven't tried it.

So before I hit a pedestrian at the end of my driveway (In the middle of winter, snowbanks are so high that you don't see pedestrians before you get to the street), I'd like to know if this has happened to anybody else ???

thanks.
I have that issue in my TJ when the drums in the back are out of adjustment. Of course that isn't the issue for you! You might want to check your brake function out back, but it could just be the "normal" brake bias that is causing that issue. Putting the rig in 4wd should solve your issue. Other than that I don't have any good ideas! Good Luck!

-Ryan

Registered
This winter my (very slightly) sloped driveway was covered in packed snow with an ice topping. There were some spots cleared to the concrete. As mentioned by the original poster, I would be backing slowly, apply my brakes and my 2012 JKR would pull in reverse another 5+ ft.. It happened about 5 times and while I chocked it up to the Jeep just sliding on ice, it really did not feel like that... it felt like my brakes were not working (except my steering had no control). I swore my rear tires were on the concrete patch, which is why the whole thing was not computing right in my brain.

This forum topic just reminded me of what I was experiencing and now the feeling I had in my Jeep is starting to make sense... the fronts were locked and the rears were pulling until the fronts finally grabbed on concrete and then the whole Jeep would immediately stop moving. Its a very bizarre feeling... and I imagine a safety hazard.

Registered
Driving on ice any vehicle will react differently. If you release momentum on the wheels, putting it in neutral or engaging the clutch, the vehicle will stop a lot sooner. Vehicles and ice aren't a good combination. Sometimes the only way to stop the momentum on ice is to use a tactical driving technique and briefly engage drive or reverse the same time the brake is fully engaged, then release the brake and briefly spin the rear wheels in the opposite direction. When the vehicle stops moving brake again. There is a chance of possible damage, but the risk is negligible compared to actually hitting a pedestrian. If the ground is covered with ice during the whole sequence there will be no damage. This is a last resort technique.

Registered
Just spit balling here, but I wonder if the computer is designed to apply more brake pressure to the front wheels when reversing than when moving forward? Also, may try turning off ESP and see if that helps.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Putting it in neutral a few feet before the end of the driveway makes a lot of sense, and as I write this, I realize I have done it out of reflex a few times as the jeep was really not stopping. But will make it a habit to do so.

There has to be a fix to this, other than driver reaction, since i don't seem to be alone and not all drivers will have that speed of reaction.

Don't tell my wife I said that, but she would definitely go all the way accross the street, being pulled by the rear wheels :) I can imagine her face from here and see her walk back into the house and throw me the keys, saying she'll never drive the jeep again.. lol!!! Thank god she has her own SUV.

Don't get me wrong, she loves the Jeep and is actually the one that convinced me to go back to owning a Jeep ( I was heading for an LR4) but from the passenger side.

Registered

I had the same problem with my Firebird. I know you said you think such is out of the question, but I had to use the console parking brake lever for that last little bit of "oomph" to "lock" the rear wheels too. I just got use to doing such to make that final phase of a full stop on a slick surface.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts