Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We went to China Wall (near Colorado Springs) today, I was on a rock hill, the one that is on the optional trail, just before the step. I had my tires aired down to 22 pounds. About halfway through, I hear a pop. I look and the right front tire was up against a rock. I thought I popped the bead.... but no, when we looked closer, we saw a big chunk taken out of the inside sidewall. We did not hit anything on the inside of the tire, WTF??? We put the spare on and continued down the trail. Then on our way out, about 10 feet from where the first tire blew, a second tire (left front) blew. The same thing, inside sidewall... with nothing near it. Fortunately, 3 members of the Colorado 4 Wheelers were there to help. They were very experienced and did not know why the tires blew either. They felt the AT3s had very soft sidewalls. Now, I wish I would have purchased something else.

Update: it was not the tires fault. The dealer did not install the 2 inch lift kit properly. They installed the long swaybar arms on the front. The instructions are clear that the new (longer) arms go on the back.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you are running 33 with oem wheels, you probably rubbed on suspension parts and not rocks. I have spacers with my 33,s and oem wheels to prevent this.

·
Super Moderator
23,450 Posts
I have seen tires taken out by the swaybar if disconnects were used.

·
Registered
594 Posts
it almost sounds like you may have a bad batch, I previously had 33x12.5 Falken ATs & I couldn't kill those things. By the way 22lbs doesn't seem nearly low enough to be effective.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Guessing you have no marks on the inside of the tire where it touched anything. I agree that 22 lbs is not low enough. The harder the tire the less flex and more likely a puncture will happen. You also do not get much of an increase of contact patch to improve traction. Also at 22 lbs the tires are still hard and beat on you and your suspension components. Let the deflated tires become part of your suspension and soften the trail bumps. I suggest 10 to 15 lbs.

Where did you get the tires?
What does the tire place say about the failure?
Do you have the road hazard on the tires?
Post up some pictures of the tire failure on here.
If the tire shop can not help you out try contacting the tire manufacture.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I run 18 PSI on the street. I would air down to 10 next time, but I agree, likely a jeep component and not a rock caused that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
8 pounds on factory rims... no bead lockers?

I have a video, ill look to see if a component touched the tire

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,450 Posts
8 pounds on factory rims... no bead lockers?

I have a video, ill look to see if a component touched the tire

Thanks!

maybe in a TJ but I would not run that low in a JK. I will run 12-15lbs offroad.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I should have added that the rocks on that trail are smooth. The club maintains that trail and they don't generally see tire problems there.

Pepboys has the Jeep. I got the tires from them and I had the road hazard policy on them. 2 new tires and FE alignment for $156 out the door. That includes a new road hazard policy for the 2 new tires.

-B

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you are running 33 with oem wheels, you probably rubbed on suspension parts and not rocks. I have spacers with my 33,s and oem wheels to prevent this.
I don't see any evidence of rubbing. My tires are LT255/80R17... so 33x10. Not wide enough to need spacers, right?

I have the electric swaybar disconnect. That should not cause a rubbing problem should it?

-B

·
Super Moderator
23,450 Posts
with those you do not need spacers. I have run them on many trails without issues on a recon disconnected. You need to flex it out and see what is hitting. something is amiss. post some photos of your suspension components up front.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am at the shop. The puncture lines up with the sway bar. I have a video of the incident. I was flexed and hard passenger when one blew and flexed and hard driver when the other blew.

The pepboys can't get the Falken for a few days and I can't wait for them. We are putting on Cooper Adventure AT LT285/70R17 tires. They are a bit wider than the Falken.

I'm thinking about adding spacers. What would you recommend. I'm still using the stock rims.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
61,509 Posts
Yep, with 285"s and stock wheels, you will need spacers. 1.5" is the Forum favorite.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, with 285"s and stock wheels, you will need spacers. 1.5" is the Forum favorite.
Front and back or just front?

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
61,509 Posts
The same on front and back.
Buff both the hub and wheel surface with a wire brush. Then install the spacers with the supplied loctite on the threads. Torque to 100 ft. lbs. Then install your wheels and torque tp 100 ft. lbs. When you rotate your tires at 5,000 miles, re-check the torque on the spacers. But only use 90 ft. lbs. on the re-torque, because one doesn't want to disturb the loctite.

Reactions: Jay2011JK

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The same on front and back.
Great info, thanks!
I see spacers from $80 to $150. Does brand matter?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have two jk's with Spidertrax spacers with no issues. They seem to be the most recommended here. You can buy on their website with free shipping, usually they have some in clearance for a cosmetic issue for 90 a pair. Otherwise around 109 a pair.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts