Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never heard of a Certificate of Origin before. Why wouldn’t this automatically come with the vehicle? Dealer said it might take a week to arrive?

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
all vehicles that get titles need a Certificate of origin. They come from FCA so they would be sent separate from the vehicle.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Don't understand why the dealer can't issue a temporary paper plate and deliver the jeep as long as the title and registration fee is paid by you. The dealer would then have 30/60/90 days depending on which state you are in to register and obtain permanent plates.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't understand why the dealer can't issue a temporary paper plate and deliver the jeep as long as the title and registration fee is paid by you. The dealer would then have 30/60/90 days depending on which state you are in to register and obtain permanent plates.
Agree. This is the 12-15 new car I have purchased. Never heard of a week delay due to this?

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
they need the Certificate of Origin to complete the paperwork. You would be more upset if they let you have the vehicle and the paper work was messed up due to some snafu if the Certificate of Origin was lost and you could not register or insure it. Don't blame the dealer blame FCA.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they need the Certificate of Origin to complete the paperwork. You would be more upset if they let you have the vehicle and the paper work was messed up due to some snafu if the Certificate of Origin was lost and you could not register or insure it. Don't blame the dealer blame FCA.
Not looking to place blame. As i said in all my years of purchasing new vehicles, I never heard of this.

·
Premium Member
2,474 Posts
The consumer usually does not see this. Finance just sends it off with all the other paper work to the DMV.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Not looking to place blame. As i said in all my years of purchasing new vehicles, I never heard of this.
I have been buying new vehicles since 1975 and everyone has a certificate of manufacture. You don't generally get to see the copy as your dealer records it and then sends it to the DMV. If they fall in the wrong hands a title without a lien can be applied for that is why you never see them. I always ask for a photocopy at my DMV and they will give you one but it is after the lien info is recorded. Generally FCA would send the CO before they vehicle arrived on the dealer lot but things happen.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
The consumer usually does not see this. Finance just sends it off with all the other paper work to the DMV.
exactly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts