Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday after arriving in Silverton decision to do an evening drive to Animas Forks. Half way there decided to turn around cause it was getting dark. While driving the Jeep just slowed down and stopped. It would crank but not fire. Checked the codes and had p0688 and p2314. Cleared the codes, tried to start but no luck. Checked the codes again and had the p0688. Luckily someone came by and called help for us. Get t a ride to town and the Jeep was picked up this morning. They can't figure out t what's wrong or how to fix it. So tomorrow it's being towed to Albuquerque where I live. Bummer of a trip.

Anyone have a god idea how to fix this? Google didn't have good or specific answers.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
How familiar are you with the ASD relay and what it does?

The ASD relay, like all relays has a control side and a load side. The control side is the magnetic coil in the relay. It gets battery pos from the TIPM and the PCM grounds the coil when it wants the ASD relay to turn on. When the PCM wants the engine to run, it has to ground the ASD relay.

The load side of the ASD relay, gets battery pos from the TIPM and when the relay activates, it sends power to ignition coils and fuel injectors. Also on the output of the ASD load side is a wire that goes back to the PCM. It is there for the PCM to know that the ASD relay has been switched on. Kind of like a confirmation.

The P0688 is a code that the PCM activated the relay through the control side but it didn't see the 12v come through on that wire from the load side to the PCM. You will need to look at that ASD circuit and see what it's doing. It may very well be the relay is bad or it could be wiring or the PCM.

I'd start with swapping the relay and see if it cures the problem. After that you need to go into troubleshooting the circuit.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Check fuse M19. Should be a 25a fuse.

According to the wiring diagram I have access to, that is on the load side output. Make sure that the fuse is good before having it towed.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Picked up fr m dealer shop. Ran fine till driveway. Then died just like in Silverton. Same codes. This sucks. They replaced a relay and #5 coil. That was cracked. Will see now what the issue is.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes. Had codes p 0688 and p2314 both in Silverton and again today pulling into y driveway. Last time they were able to change a fuse and limp,it into the shop. Today it would plow the fuse right away. They had replaced a relay and cylinder 5 ignition coil. It had exploded, only the 4 th one they had seen do that. I'll try to get a photo to,or row of it. The only thing I'm glad about is that it happens at my house and not half way to Silverton or on a trail.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Frustrating. Thanks for keeping us updated and pouring the knowledge back into the pool. Will be interested in what you get figured out. Sounds like a pretty bad short somewhere.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As of last evening still no word on jeep. They are troubleshooting the short wire by wire. No word on when it'll be done. Ug.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It appears to be the TIPM. New one in order and I'll go in tomorrow. Then we'll see. This is getting expensive.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
My 14 is all out of all warranties and this kind of thing just scares the $$$$$ out of me.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Is a replacement TIPM a DIY job?
Depends. You have to program a new or replacement TIPM. That is usually the barrier to getting it done for most. Install is just undoing connectors and unbolting. Then bolting in and putting connectors back in.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
New TIPM and still blowing fuse and cylinder 5 coil. Again. Dealer now has to do more digging. This sucks. Almost to the point of trading for a JT.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Or something with no J in it, at all.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts