Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After seeing a used one for sale here and missing the boat on it, I had to get ahold of the people who made it. I am no way affiliated with Jeep Droptopz and this review is completely based on my experience with them so far. This is my first review, so I'm sorry if it seems poorly written. :pc-ouch:

https://www.facebook.com/JeepJKDropTopz/

Based out of Virginia, Jeep Droptopz makes deck covers for 2 and 4 Door models. They offer Leather, Vinyl, Carpet, and a Deluxe Modular option. All which cover treated and sealed wood. I went with carpet simply for cost. They are secured with eyebolts which are even customize-able to match the color of your Jeep! Also, I believe you can add other hardware or options to the covers, but I am not aware of the costs. The carpeted JKU cover with red eyebolts cost me $200 shipped to my door. Note, the colored hardware takes a little extra time to ship as they are made to order and need time to be ready for shipment.

*I forgot to add, for those of you with subs installed, this will GREATLY increase bass output. Your basically adding an enclosed trunk which really increases the sound output with the top off (or on for that matter).

They are extremely professional and offer very speedy service. I messaged them on 3/9 at 9:51am and they had my custom order invoiced at 10:43am. On 3/11 they sent me a UPS tracking number and the nicely padded package arrived at my door on 3/15.

"Thats great, now where are the damn pictures?!"

Fit/Finish- You can tell its a handmade piece, but it's better than anything I could make. The rear-most left and right corners aren't symmetrical, but hard to notice unless your looking for it. There is a corner edge where the wood shows through, but I may have done that when I set it on the ground...

Ease of Install- I just set them on the back, pulled back the cargo area carpet and slipped the bolts in. So easy a caveman could do it. NOTE: I actually havent gotten the color matched hardware yet, but I used some eyebolts that I had laying around in the meantime. The ones you see pictured are not what comes with the kit. The bolt on where I assume the hardtop rails go. Took me about 15 minutes to install.

Value- Like I said before, I couldnt have made this with out spending a lot of time figuring out the right cuts and measurements, even then I would have probably tried a few times before I got it right. Time is also money to me, and for $200 shipped to my door in less than a week, I can't think of a better buy.

Service- Quick and courteous. Keeps you updated with tracking numbers and is very helpful.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cover is bolted on. Also, there is no back, so with the seats down it would be open into the cargo area. I believe he makes a backpeice to close it in, but I did not look into that. Theoretically you could use some security bolts or round head bolts to install it. But at the end of the day, it's made from wood and if someone wants in, they'll find a way.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont, but they make these things to order. Im almost positive they can make a deeper cut on the backside to compensate for the recline mod...

·
Registered
426 Posts
Looks pretty good. Has anyone tried this with a soft top? It looks like it shouldn't interfere, but I'm wondering about lowering the top onto it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've just ordered one... mainly for the out of sight - out of mind thought, but also to finish off the back when the hardtop is off.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm really loving this thing. I haven't put my top back on all week. It really finishes off the back of the Jeep.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
772 Posts
Yours looks really good. I've spent a lot of time looking at their pics and talking with them on FB. They are nice and helpful. I messaged them late last Sunday and I wasn't expecting a response until the next day. Well, they responded right away and answered all my questions. I didn't order one yet because the price shipped came to $270 I think. This included the top and back piece that fits behind the seats (in vinyl, not carpet which is less costly). Shipping alone is $85. It looks like a great product from the pics so I'm still deciding if I should just spend the money or drop $50 bucks at Home Depot and spend an afternoon making my own.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Getting the measurements right is harder than you think. Well, at least for me it was. I got all the dimensions I thought I needed, but making the actual cuts, with all the funny angles and corners I'd have to make. Let's just say the furthest I got was an index card with sizes I wanted home depot to cut a sheet into. My advice? Spend the money now,save yourself some time, which is always worth something. Then a few years down the road when this one fades, warps, whatever, use the stencils you got the day these things came in the mail and make your own, maybe even out of a thick piece of steel diamond plate! ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
591 Posts
I ordered one last week and should get it today or Saturday. I have a soft top and will post pics. I have two door though with the seat folded up.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm planning on tracing it on some diamond plate then probably selling this one... We'll see though.
Sometimes my ideas are better than execution! ��

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm planning on tracing it on some diamond plate then probably selling this one... We'll see though.
Sometimes my ideas are better than execution! ��
Preachin' to the choir! :rofl2:

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Really like this setup for the price of the parts, but total of $250 with shipping to WA State might prevent me from buying.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Really like this setup for the price of the parts, but total of $250 with shipping to WA State might prevent me from buying.
I had the same issue but my total was going to be $270. I decided to build one myself for a lot less.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I had the same issue but my total was going to be $270. I decided to build one myself for a lot less.
This is my weekend project, cut out the cardboard template and going to pick up some wood in the morning. What did you use? Photos of your setup?

·
Registered
772 Posts
This is my weekend project, cut out the cardboard template and going to pick up some wood in the morning. What did you use? Photos of your setup?
I started off by making a cardboard template around the rollbars. Then I transferred it to 1/4" plywood to have a good solid template. Then I used 1/2" plywood for the real cover. I used a jigsaw with a good blade for all the cuts. It came out pretty good. A lot of the cuts around the tub look like they would be straight but they're actually slightly curved which made it a little bit more of a challenge. Here is a link to my JEEP
page on Facebook that has a bunch of photos. https://www.facebook.com/BettyBlueJeep/

1 - 20 of 34 Posts