Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gs just one issue after another with this jeep. 2.5 liter tbi fuel injection and its flooding every time I drive some where. It may not be flooding it's just being stubborn and doesn't want to start

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Most likely a fuel issue, since you say its flooding, do you smell raw fuel when it does this?

Common problem on the throttle body injection is the O-rings go bad on the injector, or the nozzle on the injector is clogged with dirt and stuck open. In either case, take the injector out, and replace the O-rings, then let the injector nozzle soak in a jar or cup of carburetor cleaner or some equivalent like sea foam will work as well. Letting it soak over night will be best for it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most likely a fuel issue, since you say its flooding, do you smell raw fuel when it does this? Common problem on the throttle body injection is the O-rings go bad on the injector, or the nozzle on the injector is clogged with dirt and stuck open. In either case, take the injector out, and replace the O-rings, then let the injector nozzle soak in a jar or cup of carburetor cleaner or some equivalent like sea foam will work as well. Letting it soak over night will be best for it.
Sometimes it does smell like fuel. I had the injector out this winter but I didn't replace the o rings. I can get it to start I just have to hold the gas down

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
I had to replace my fuel pump once and auto zone gave me an MPFI pump that made way too much pressure. Messed up my injector and FPR. Causing it to flood and conk out all the time.

Lesson learned.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had to replace my fuel pump once and auto zone gave me an MPFI pump that made way too much pressure. Messed up my injector and FPR. Causing it to flood and conk out all the time. Lesson learned.
That makes sense cause the last owner had replaced the fuel pump. But it ran fine for the first summer and fall that I had it

·
Registered
199 Posts
Mine has done the same thing all winter. Never had an issue before. I also notice it does it mostly when we get a snowstorm. If I use starter fluid, it will fire right after a lot of grumbling. I've considered condensation in the dizzy cap, but that seems to be dry. Ideas?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's weird. Mine does it in warmer weather. It's starting okay now but I don't quite trust it yet. What's this cap that condensation collects on?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sorry for the faux pas. My autocorrect seems to like dizzy better than the word distributor.

Cracked or otherwise damaged caps will sometimes react poorly to moisture. After taking a look at my relays yesterday, I think you could be on to something. They sit right on the edge of the engine bay, in prime get wet location. I'll clean them up and do some testing this weekend.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for the faux pas. My autocorrect seems to like dizzy better than the word distributor. Cracked or otherwise damaged caps will sometimes react poorly to moisture. After taking a look at my relays yesterday, I think you could be on to something. They sit right on the edge of the engine bay, in prime get wet location. I'll clean them up and do some testing this weekend.
Yeah check your spark. Check the inside of the cap as well and the rotor

·
Registered
199 Posts
I changed the coil. It seems to fire right up now. I was experiencing a strange symptom this winter where it would only want to fire when I stopped cranking. Literally, turn the key to start and hold for 3 seconds, nothing. As soon as I let go, it would pop and grumble then stop. I suspected the coil based on the description in my FSM. It says the coil saturates with power and releases it to the distributor when at max power. Sounds like mine wasn't saturating correctly. Who knows.... For now it's working beautifully.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I changed the coil. It seems to fire right up now. I was experiencing a strange symptom this winter where it would only want to fire when I stopped cranking. Literally, turn the key to start and hold for 3 seconds, nothing. As soon as I let go, it would pop and grumble then stop. I suspected the coil based on the description in my FSM. It says the coil saturates with power and releases it to the distributor when at max power. Sounds like mine wasn't saturating correctly. Who knows.... For now it's working beautifully.
It's the weirdest thing. This winter my jeep didn't run real well at all and one day I randomly took the injector out. Took it to school to show the instructors and see what they thought, put it back in and then it ran. I have a feeling the injectors going bad

1 - 12 of 12 Posts