Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
That is a gas saver compared to my old 75 Chevy on 44's with a 50 over 350cid about 8 mpg lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
Haha! Saw a similar ad at a NC dealer on a 4.0 automatic. Not sure what they were comparing it to- a Mack semi is my best guess.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Id go into the dealership, and sound like im interested in buying the jeep. Then id ask how much MPG it gets as its stated as a gas saver. Just to see their reaction when they say 15 MPG stock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jeep Gas Saver

I have only had my TJ for a little over a week and I'm confident I do not get anywhere close to 15 MPG and mine is a 2.5L. I'd certainly like to find a way to improve the MPG. Suggestions?????

·
Registered
19 Posts
A loaded question, but when I asked that question over decade ago the answer was, "you didn't buy the jeep for the MPG's.". Best case, I guess, would be to be sure it's running good; well maintained. Keep the tires at stock size and don't drive with a heavy foot. I have read a few things regarding exhaust, but can't imagine that making a difference unless the exhaust system is opened up all the way through i.e. headers, etc. that becomes a project and $. Perhaps one of those jet chips or programmer thingie's? I've never used one, but they advertise improved mileage too.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I have only had my TJ for a little over a week and I'm confident I do not get anywhere close to 15 MPG and mine is a 2.5L. I'd certainly like to find a way to improve the MPG. Suggestions?????
How are you calculating your MPG????????

·
Registered
48 Posts
Something must be wrong bud. I have a 97 TJ with the 2.5L manual, running 31s and on my last road trip down St. Augustine (400 miles), I was getting about 18 mpg while running the A/C the whole time. Granted I drove at about 65 mph avg on the highway.

·
Registered
536 Posts
First thing I learned VERY quickly is not to drive it like ANY other vehicle I've owned in my 25+ years of driving. Rabbit starts at a green light are things of the past. In fact, its made me a more conscientious driver with how I drive my other vehicles.

The first day I bought it, I drove it from the sellers house to my buddy's house about 30 miles away and went thru almost 1/4 of a tank! Was shifting at 3k, now I shift closer to 2,100 or so. Since I've owned her I average 17.56mpg.

I use a great FREE program called aCar (def works for Android, I think Apple too). You can track everything, including maintenance costs, gas, etc and it tells you, as you go, what it costs a day to drive each car you own. Obviously its only as good as the info you enter, but it def has more than enough calculations to ensure accuracy.

The other option is the old standby of pencil and pad in the glovebox. But i hate math, so smartphone with aCar for me!

Obviously other things come into play, like how old oil and drivetrain fluids are (old, dirty oils can affect mpg), so make sure you are changing them per owners manual. Spark plug age, gap, type....dirty fuel filter...lots of minor things could be throwing mpg off, but I'd start with how you drive it. Thats what got me on track!

Good Luck,

Butch

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
It is a gas saver compared to a dump truck or tank.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
The old pencil and paper way:

First thing to do is use a GPS and determine if your speedometer is accurate and if not the percentage it is off.

Now, fill the gas tank, record the odometer reading (or reset the trip odometer to Zero)

Drive the jeep until it is empty.

Fill the tank and record the exact number of gallons it took to fill it.

Record the odometer reading and subtract the beginning mileage from it (or record the number of miles on the trip odometer)

Divide the number of miles driven by the number of gallons it took to fill it back up. DO NOT omit the tenths if there were any.

Now do this a number of times and average it out.

If your speedometer is off multiply the number of miles driven by the percentage it is off and add it to the number of miles driven before dividing by the number of gallons.

·
Registered
190 Posts
There should be a gas mileage sticky...
1. How to calculate MPG
2. Myths about gas savings (ie. anything that anyone tells you will save gas other than driving habits and a well maintained Jeep)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did go in and ask how much they was asking for it and they said 14000. I just laughed and walked out. a 98 with 120000 miles and is a SE for 14000. seems a little steep ok a lot steep to me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I did go in and ask how much they was asking for it and they said 14000. I just laughed and walked out. a 98 with 120000 miles and is a SE for 14000. seems a little steep ok a lot steep to me.
Dude that's ridiculous.

However, my 97 TJ 6 cylinder gets about 18-20 mpg.
And like someone said earlier I do shift pretty early. Ill bet my clutch hates me though.

(Equivalent to stock wheels, 110k miles and I do the speed limit 60-70 out here)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Dude that's ridiculous.

(and I do the speed limit 60-70 out here)
Forgot to mention that too. I keep it around 60 in a 55 as I noted 65 or faster she goes from 'sipping' (she never sips) to gorging. Even in a 65 zone, I try to keep it closer to 62-63ish. I may be crazy, and its all in my head, but I swear its like an extra cylinder appears and its sole purpose is to drain gas

·
Registered
132 Posts
I also feel like threres a point where you press the pedal and theres no chang in speed. So you have to find that point and feather it and that saves gas. Again just a feeling exactly no science involved.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts