Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am new to this forum but not to JEEPS. My first was a 1971 CJ-5. I did a ground up resto and mod to it 25 years ago. After selling it, I got the JEEP itch and in 1999 bought a JEEP Wrangler Sport 5 speed. I now have over 170K on it and it has been SO dependable. However time has caught up with her. So now I just put in a new oil pan, old one rusted with small holes. New exaust going in , motor to tail. All new shocks, wow, rusted bolts on the rears, but I got them out!!

Servicing the diffs, front is done, rear? 2 bolts rounded and rusted in place. Need to drop the tank to get them if I have to drill them out. Just as well, the skid plate is rusted, so I want to replace that.

Ok, here is my problem I have gas in the tank, cant get a hose in it to suck it out. All the bolts to the skid plate are ok, no issue. Vapor metal line rusted and broke trying to pull off the rubber hose.

Now I am trying to get the main gas line off, and its still has pressure. I have the pump feed flap open on the filler, pulled the relay as well. Turned the motor over, but she wont start. I have the line loose but when I go to remove gas keeps spitting out.

How can I get the pressure relieved on this car?? Working on it now. Thank you!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nevermind I found the pressure release on the fuel rail. Now I have to get this stupid electrical connector off.

I have worked on many cars, and as much as I love this JEEP whoever designed it to rust out bolts, clamps and the gas skid plate should be beaten. Horrible design setup here. On top of that my 25 year old Firebird has NO RUST underneeth it. The JEEP everything is rusted, the frame and anything attached practically. I had to even replace all the metal brake lines a year ago. Not with my Firebird.

Like I said, I love my JEEP but I am not impressed with all the rust she has.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Figure I would update anyone who needs the help. I got the gas tank out, it was 3/4 full. Just took my time and lowered slowly with a floor jack. As I have read else where the straps were shot too. So I ordered a new skid plate and 2 straps. I also ordered a new complete sending unit with pump. Even if the one i have works, its 15 years old with all that mileage, so what the heck. I also had to order a new metal vapor line from 4WD.

Sorry about my complaining about the rust. By far this JEEP has been the dependable car I have ever owned. I am still on the same clutch, only 3rd set of tires, brakes, 4 times had to change them, and you cant kill the straight 6 motor. I am just surprised of all the rust. It made getting the bolts out for the rear shocks and diff cover fustrating. But that is all taken care of now too. Both diff covers were cleaned up an repainted, back on the JEEP. Now just need all the parts to come in.

I hope to meet new fellow JEEPERS here. They are such a great vehicle indeed.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
"JEEP"...another word for "RUST"....that's a fact! Had problems with rust on every single one, CJ, YJ and TJ and I am on #8. How is your frame looking? Lost my 98 Sahara to rusty frame. Best Jeep I ever had too. Guy that bought it fixed it and he is still going strong with almost 200K on it. Frame was *bad* though! I couldn't afford to fix it, at the time, so...sold her to a good home. Took some steps with this one though: an 02 TJ "X"...frame is in real good shape, thank the Jeep Gods.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"JEEP"...another word for "RUST"....that's a fact! Had problems with rust on every single one, CJ, YJ and TJ and I am on #8. How is your frame looking? Lost my 98 Sahara to rusty frame. Best Jeep I ever had too. Guy that bought it fixed it and he is still going strong with almost 200K on it. Frame was *bad* though! I couldn't afford to fix it, at the time, so...sold her to a good home. Took some steps with this one though: an 02 TJ "X"...frame is in real good shape, thank the Jeep Gods.

I hear you and thanks for replying. But I did a ground up restoration and modification of a 1971 CJ-5 about 20 years ago. The frame was in solid shape. Just fustrated my 1999 has so much and only after 15 years. The North East is brutal on JEEPS, more so than I thought.

My frame is ok for now but I would like to put someting on it to protect it as much as possible.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Did your CJ have the box frame? or the C type? I think there was a couple years where they used the open C type steel frames....I never had one but...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts