Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well took the Jeep in for the dreaded coolant sludge. Per Chrysler replacing the radiator,water pump and heater core. Guess the whole dash has to come out. Taking bets on how sheety it all goes back together.

Side note I did allow my anal, trust no one side of me to come out and videotaped the exterior/interior prior to dropping off. Told them my heats fine maybe just a flush but they said per star case 1207000008 they have to replace everything. If you guys haven't, I would take a look at your coolant reservoirs for sediment or sludge in the bottom. I guess this has been happening in 12s on up to some 14s per forum posts. Why Chrysler has allowed this to continue after acknowledging with a star case is beyond me.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Had successful surgery last month. Mine was casting sand blocking the heater core. Dash and steering wheel came out and so far everything is as good as it was before the invasive procedure. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had successful surgery last month. Mine was casting sand blocking the heater core. Dash and steering wheel came out and so far everything is as good as it was before the invasive procedure. Good luck.
Sweet , I'll sleep better now.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not familiar with this - what is causing this in a 1 to 3 year old jeep???
Some say it's casting sand from factory, some say its a couple tabs of stop leak. It's used to squeak by a marginal leak test that is eventually dissolved by the coolant into a sludge which cakes the radiator,heater core,water pump.

I took two samples of mine, one for the dealer and one for my records. After having it sit for a week it has seperated completely and does resemble a jelly/sludge in the bottom of the glass. Dealership said what ever it is, it doesn't belong in a closed loop system. I have 20500 miles and believe this dissolved over the two years of ownership because in the beginning my coolant was purple not orange.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well got my jeep back. Taking a look at things, the dash is warped on the passenger side. Not bad but being ontop its in view. Half inch gash near the radio. I can overlook all that but one thing caught my eye and really pissed me off.
When they did the engine coolant work they flipped my hood to rest on the top frame of the window. No biggie but what they didn't do is put some sort of rag or towel in between and now I have a nine inch abrasion mark etched into my hood. I tried spray detailer, clay bar and carnuba wax. Its etched in. How fruckin hard is it to slap a towel in there. It's not down to the metal but it is through the clear coat.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Well got my jeep back. Taking a look at things, the dash is warped on the passenger side. Not bad but being ontop its in view. Half inch gash near the radio. I can overlook all that but one thing caught my eye and really pissed me off. When they did the engine coolant work they flipped my hood to rest on the top frame of the window. No biggie but what they didn't do is put some sort of rag or towel in between and now I have a nine inch abrasion mark etched into my hood. I tried spray detailer, clay bar and carnuba wax. Its etched in. How fruckin hard is it to slap a towel in there. It's not down to the metal but it is through the clear coat.
They should fix it.
I hate that crap. Your jeep should be in better shape when you get it back.
Bring it back, point at the spot on your hood and say REALLY !?!
Good luck

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To add to the frustration, they only had authorization for a rental for two days. I told them don't rush, make sure its done right and with care. I told them I would pay for an extra day or two. Took an extra day and thats the condition I get.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts