Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
A CJ7 top will fit a YJ but the lift-gate is different and if you are still running the factory spare tire carrier it will be a bitch to get open and closed. On the CJ7 you shut the tailgate then the lift-gate closes on top of the tailgate. On a YJ you close the lift-gate first then close the tailgate. I have a CJ7 top on my YJ and prefer it since i dont run a spare tire on the tailgate.

Reactions: DREDnot and Batjac

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
There are many used tops out there that will fit a YJ.
If you find an aftermarket top be cognizant of the doors.
Some came with their own aftermarket doors and OEM doors won't fit correctly.

An aftermarket hard top with the doors long gone may not be worth a hill of beans.
I'd rather buy a top I actually saw on a YJ than in a backyard but, that's where most of the used ones are.

·
Registered
26 Posts
YJ tops are a little lighter than a CJ7 top. As others said, you can interchange them but it might take a bit of getting used to. I think YJ tops are more plentiful and generally sell for less, at least thats my experience

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Yj and cj7 are the only models that interchange...
You can mod them to fit tj but tj cannot be used on cj or yj and of course jk is WAY different.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
YJ tops are a little lighter than a CJ7 top. As others said, you can interchange them but it might take a bit of getting used to. I think YJ tops are more plentiful and generally sell for less, at least thats my experience

This is true but i think most of the reason is that the rear liftgate is made of steel and i think the glass might be thicker i dont think the fiberglass is any thicker. I like the smaller CJ side windows they look better than the YJ windows. I also like the twist handle to open the lift gate. CJ tops are sexy!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I found a top off of a 95 YJ that I am going after tomorrow. I am only getting the top so not sure how the door thing will work out. Will my doors match up to the new top? I have the metal half doors with the soft top zipper windows inserted on top of them.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I've been putting parts on my jeep for many years.
Look at my face then ask yourself if those doors are gonna fit.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Well I found a top off of a 95 YJ that I am going after tomorrow. I am only getting the top so not sure how the door thing will work out. Will my doors match up to the new top? I have the metal half doors with the soft top zipper windows inserted on top of them.
Half doors won't fit....they will eat into the top were the latch is..and the curtain profile does not fit the HT door profile...start looking for full doors is my advice..any yj full doors should fit.
I would also try to find someone selling doors and top....

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Actually half doors will fit just fine but if your soft top is oem w square top rear corners on the doors you will need aftermarket soft or hard uppers

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually half doors will fit just fine but if your soft top is oem w square top rear corners on the doors you will need aftermarket soft or hard uppers
The top I have now is a best top with rounded top front and back. I was told the make a rubber piece that fits in the front corner next to the windshield and hard top to match the contour of the door. I saw some pieces on ebay that looks like what they were talking about.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
So what's the trick cause when I put my half doors on the top right corner of the door scratches the paint off my HT? I just touched up the paint before winter or I would shoot you a pick...they will work yes...but eats the paint off the HT..

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Which corner is thentop right? Post a pic...
Sounds like you need to do some adjusting

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Above the outside handle, that corner...scratches the paint off off the recessed part...I spent a couple hours trying to adjusting everything..even the top placement...gave up touched it up and put FDS on...I just run the half doors with bikini now...

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Shouldn't even come close

Attachments

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Looks like mine when they are on...yours don't rub with the inside of the door and the bottom of the HT corner?...may just be the angle of the pic but looks like it would...it's been a year so since I messed with mine..need to get them down out of ceiling of the garage...

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
That's not mine... i haven't even touched my half doors in 10 years.... but no my half doors never rubbed

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I picked up the top today and couldn't be happier with it. Everything looks good but there is some stuff to do, One of the lift cylinders for the rear hatch is bad, I will hook up the rear windshield wiper and test it tomorrow. I brought it home today and cleaned it and tinted the windows. I have not tested the rear window defogger yet either. It has a hose for a rear windshield wash but I don't see that getting hooked up. I will need the front corner pieces that attach to the front windshield where the doors meet, I have the half doors so that are round on the top front. Can't wait to get it on, I have never liked the soft top.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts