Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

jeep hauling a jeep

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Powderburn 
#1 ·
I know this is a dumb newbie question but could a JKU tow a trailer and a jeep TJ . I have a 2013 JKU with 3:21 gears. I am assuming I cannot because of a 3500 lb towing limit,:facepalm:

#3 ·
Can you? Absolutely. It'll tow better than you probably think. Been there, done that.

Should you? Probably not. If you're over the listed limit, and do happen to be in an accident, the insurance company will probably throw the book at you.

#7 ·
I wouldn't even consider it. It's not so much the power to get going (which you won't have) the ability for you to stop safely is really in question. There's no way the brakes on your JKU will be up to stopping a trailer that heavy. Maybe if you had electric trailer brakes on both axles and a really good brake controller but even then I wouldn't risk it.

The only way I would tow a Jeep with a Jeep is if the tow rig was a J10 or J20 pickup like this...

#8 ·
Powderburn said:
I hauled a trailer with 2 jet skis when i had 3.21's and had to use 4lo to get up a few hills. I have an 08 so my 3.8 is not a powerhouse like the newer 3.6 but overall, 3.21's suked. I also have 35's so that had a great deal to do with it too.
How are the 3.21's alone with the 35's? I've been thinking about doing this for a while but I can't sacrifice towing my snowmobiles or boats

#9 ·
derf said:
Maybe if you had electric trailer brakes on both axles and a really good brake controller but even then I wouldn't risk it.
Oh if it has good trailer brakes I'd definitely consider it especially if you happen to be out in the sticks somewhere where there really isn't any traffic. Some of those brakes are so good you can't feel the trailer when braking which is the only problem with the Jk's towing

Also if you are really set on towing it you could upgrade to bigger brakes and have a better ability to stop the trailer.

#10 ·
I wouldn't even consider it without brakes on all 4 wheels of the trailer. Even then I'd be hesitant due to the power limitations of the JK, not to mention the fact that the tongue weight capability on the JKU is still a serious limitation. It's too easy to get the trailer loaded where you'll get a dangerous sway condition.

I've been working on my J10 to get the braking up to par. I've swapped in 3/4 ton J20 axles in, upgraded the front brakes to Chevy JB7 brakes, done a disk brake swap on the rear D60 and I still run trailer brakes on all 4 wheels of the trailer. I'm also planning the addition of air bags to supliment the leaf springs so I can handle serious tongue weight and still ride level.

#11 ·
derf said:
I've been working on my J10 to get the braking up to par. I've swapped in 3/4 ton J20 axles in, upgraded the front brakes to Chevy JB7 brakes, done a disk brake swap on the rear D60 and I still run trailer brakes on all 4 wheels of the trailer. I'm also planning the addition of air bags to supliment the leaf springs so I can handle serious tongue weight and still ride level.
Love the J10! I've been looking at one myself just to have and restore but still use as a work truck. Did yours come so rust free or did you have a lot of body work to do?

A pickup is definitely the way to go to tow. Also, could you have your wife or sibling or friend drive the tj for you if you need both vehicles somewhere? That might be cheapest way to go

#12 ·
Love the J10! I've been looking at one myself just to have and restore but still use as a work truck. Did yours come so rust free or did you have a lot of body work to do?
I found it when I lived in Oklahoma. It spent most of its life in a barn and only came out to tow a horse trailer once in a while. Still has less than 70,000 original miles on it. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.