Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of plasti-dipping the Jeep badge on the hood. I've seen a few that have been done and like the look.....My question is how to go about doing it....how do I remove the badge from the hood and then what's the best way to reattach it once its done?

Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
With plasti-dip you don't have to remove it. I taped mine off and shielded the larger area with a box I cut a hole out of to prevent overspray. Put on 4-5 coats, lightly score around the edges of the badge, and the excess pulls off. Someone pointed out on another thread that a toothpick is good for pulling the extra out from the insides of the eep. Keep it sharp with your razor and it works better.

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
I just replaced mine with a black set, was 10.65 shipped off ebay from a dealer.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I did the badges on my Mazda with plastidip. I taped off a rectangle around it, sprayed it, then peeled it off the paint like rubber cement after about 10 minutes of drying. Toothpick to get inside the letters, it was still on it a year later when I traded it in for the Jeep.

·
Registered
346 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
It is MUCH easier to replace them. $10 and 3 minutes. To make sure I got it lined up the same place I used blue painter's tape to box it. Gently pulled the old ones off. Cleaned the adhesive off (Goof Off), lined up the new ones, and press on.

Looks like factory because it is factory.

·
Registered
860 Posts
It is MUCH easier to replace them. $10 and 3 minutes. To make sure I got it lined up the same place I used blue painter's tape to box it. Gently pulled the old ones off. Cleaned the adhesive off (Goof Off), lined up the new ones, and press on.

Looks like factory because it is factory.

The Mopar badge that I bought from Quadratec came on a plastic mask...so there was no adjusting the letters. The spacing was already set. You just stuck them on and peeled off the mask.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The Mopar badge that I bought from Quadratec came on a plastic mask...so there was no adjusting the letters. The spacing was already set. You just stuck them on and peeled off the mask.
Yep, it's incredibly easy to apply.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I'm thinking of plasti-dipping the Jeep badge on the hood. I've seen a few that have been done and like the look.....My question is how to go about doing it....how do I remove the badge from the hood and then what's the best way to reattach it once its done?

Thanks!
To answer your question, it is stuck on like a sticker and once you remove it I don't think you can put it back on. I've heard people say they heat it up and pry it off but be careful not to scratch the paint. Others have said to take some fishing line holding in each hand and pull it underneath the letters cutting the logo away from the tape then use goof off to remove whats left.

Just ordered black replacement from Q

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I put some small markings down so I could put them back straight, and then pried them up with a piece of rag draped over a scraper/metal spatula. I just lifted them up and kept the stick tape in back intact.

I think plasti dipped and pressed them back on.

Too easy.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went ahead and ordered the black badge from Jeep and just replaced it....I think it looks awesome!

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was going to do the same thing but when I took my emblem off I think it looks better without it.....It gives the grill a smooth clean look! And everyone knows its a Jeep!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts