Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I loved the om nom nom action with the cutters! Rofl!

·
Registered
5 Posts
that is great! my hood flutters on my TJ i should hope that they make such a gizmo for my jeep as well, its a good thing they have such simple instructions to install it, I shall foward the post to my best pen pals in afghanistan, mexico, and russia. as they have little or no comprehension of the spoken english language however their ability to read it is amazing! :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
I knew there was a cheap fix to this thanks to Jim. I didn't have it happen until I changed bumpers.

However I did not take the cheap route. I was worried about the longevity of the stock hold downs in our extreme cold weather as I have seen a few broken wrangler hood hold downs around town.

I picked up a set of drake offroad hood hold downs. They have stronger bases, locking pins to secure the latch and turnbuckles for adjustment. There is no "stretch" to them so the hood can't flutter. Plus they look cool as all get out.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
that is great! my hood flutters on my TJ i should hope that they make such a gizmo for my jeep as well, its a good thing they have such simple instructions to install it, I shall foward the post to my best pen pals in afghanistan, mexico, and russia. as they have little or no comprehension of the spoken english language however their ability to read it is amazing! :)
This fixed it on my 99 TJ.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Real men have metal hood latches. :rofl:

Just kiddin'. Hood flutter? I've never witnessed that. Does your hood literally move up and down while driving?

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
re: "you are ruining the silence."

....that's not silence....that's the sound a non-fluttering hood makes....

·
Registered
66 Posts
I realize that video is funny, but the hood flutter I encountered on my way up north two weekends ago was downright scary. The day after I got home I ordered a pair online that just came in yesterday. I realize that after I put on my RR XHD bumper and took off the "air dam" that this might happen, but I am really shocked that Jeep would put such a lousy component on their vehicals. The only thing stopping my hood from flying into the windshield and then off the vehical is a skinny little hook. I could actually feel the hook catching when the rubber was stretched to the max.... And my jeep is only 4-5 months old!! Unbelievable. Granted, it was only a $23 plus shipping fix.

I guess if Chrysler can save $.02, they will.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Color me confused, was that guy replacing the bolt part, or the middle rubber-bone thing? And...why the hell wouldnt he say anything? He could have simply explained himself instead of gesturing up and down and generally acting retarded.

I've only had my hood flutter once, (07 stock X) on the highway, it definitely freaked me out a bit. I've not taken the latch part off, but i'm going to do a bit more research now on easy ways to fix this, including 'removing the spring'...whatever that means.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:cool: There's only one spring on the jeep hood and it's right in front next to the safety latch--

ONE screw holds it in place--remove and that has nothing to do with the safety latch!!

Color me confused, was that guy replacing the bolt part, or the middle rubber-bone thing? And...why the hell wouldnt he say anything? He could have simply explained himself instead of gesturing up and down and generally acting retarded.

I've only had my hood flutter once, (07 stock X) on the highway, it definitely freaked me out a bit. I've not taken the latch part off, but i'm going to do a bit more research now on easy ways to fix this, including 'removing the spring'...whatever that means.
The spring is what causes the hood to FLUTTER !!

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

1 - 20 of 23 Posts