Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 2006 TJ with an odd issue going on. I did a search but cant find anything.

Lately, when I enter my Jeep and try to start it there is a "stiff" reistance when turning the key, the Jeep starts as normal but the radio wont turn on and the airbag light stays on.

Then, I simply turn the Jeep off, turn the key all the way back (like towards me past where you remove the key) and then I feel the power come back to the ignition cylinder and it moves easier....I then re-start the jeep and all items work as normal, no issues....Been doin this each start lately....I have no clue what is failing.

Any insight?

Thanks

P.S. all electrical items on my jeep are stock, only mods are lift and tires

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had a similar problem. I thought I had radio problems as all the lights for the radio would work but no time or anything would show on the screen, and the radio would not turn on. I forget what light it was that would stay on but I don't think it was the airbag....but I did have a light on too.

In any case, just push your key in all the way. I found out that, at least on my Jeep, the key can be a little more than 1/2 in but still start up, run, and operate most functions. Once you push it all the way in, everything else will work. I try to make sure I push it all the way in now when I first start up but if I'm in a hurry and forget, I will see no time on the radio, and just push it the rest of the way in while I'm driving and I'm good to go. I'll replace the ignition one of these days but I'm used to it now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a similar problem. I thought I had radio problems as all the lights for the radio would work but no time or anything would show on the screen, and the radio would not turn on. I forget what light it was that would stay on but I don't think it was the airbag....but I did have a light on too. In any case, just push your key in all the way. I found out that, at least on my Jeep, the key can be a little more than 1/2 in but still start up, run, and operate most functions. Once you push it all the way in, everything else will work. I try to make sure I push it all the way in now when I first start up but if I'm in a hurry and forget, I will see no time on the radio, and just push it the rest of the way in while I'm driving and I'm good to go. I'll replace the ignition one of these days but I'm used to it now.
Was your airbag light on as well?

And thanks for the info, I will give it a try.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Not sure if it was the airbag light or not, but I did have a light on. I'll check it in a bit when I get out of work and let you know later tonight.

Just an FYI...it's real easy (and I'm sure at least some others have the same ignition as mine and may develop this problem later) to just plop the key in there as you would any other vehicle, start up, and go...thinking all is OK due to the fact that you are driving down the road. But if the key is a hair out from not being all the way in, it gives me the problem you described. I just push it in when I see the radio screen is blank and all is OK. You don't have to push the key in hard or anything, just tap it in really. You just have to be aware when you are putting the key in to start up, to be sure it's sitting all the way in by touching the key.

I've had 4 Jeeps and this is the first time I've had this problem so it's not common as far as I know but it is easy to drop the key in there without it being completely in. No idea why some stuff works and others don't, but all goes back to normal once you tap the key in the rest of the way.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure if it was the airbag light or not, but I did have a light on. I'll check it in a bit when I get out of work and let you know later tonight. Just an FYI...it's real easy (and I'm sure at least some others have the same ignition as mine and may develop this problem later) to just plop the key in there as you would any other vehicle, start up, and go...thinking all is OK due to the fact that you are driving down the road. But if the key is a hair out from not being all the way in, it gives me the problem you described. I just push it in when I see the radio screen is blank and all is OK. You don't have to push the key in hard or anything, just tap it in really. You just have to be aware when you are putting the key in to start up, to be sure it's sitting all the way in by touching the key. I've had 4 Jeeps and this is the first time I've had this problem so it's not common as far as I know but it is easy to drop the key in there without it being completely in. No idea why some stuff works and others don't, but all goes back to normal once you tap the key in the rest of the way.
Well I appreciate the information but I played with the key in every way possible and it had zero effect on the jeep.

I don't have a clue what this is.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
If the switch hangs up & doesn’t return COMPLETELY to the run position this will happen. The problem can be the switch, actuator pin assembly or the key cylinder. 3 separate parts that can be gotten at most any parts store or online. The dealer can’t supply the actuator pin if that is your problem. I would take it apart & try turning the switch with a screwdriver to see if it returns OK. If yes then see how the key turns in the cylinder & then the turn the actuator pin with the switch attached. See if you can tell what is causing the resistance. Also check the tip of the pin for cracking, a known problem that will keep the switch from going to the start position if it breaks. If it is cracked & getting ready to break it might be causing this.

Here is a video on removing everything, you will need a security t-10 Torx bit as noted in the video. Here are a couple links with similar issues when the assembly hangs up.

Wrangler, Liberty, PT Cruiser, Neon Ignition Switch Actuator Pin Repair - YouTube

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/2000-wrangler-ignition-problem-194752.html#post9885818

Jeep wont start (no clicking but has power) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

·
Registered
167 Posts
Meastt, sorry that didn't work. I checked and it was my air bag light too so thought for sure you were having the same problem. Looks like Rubi has supplied the fix for you though. I'll have to try his suggestions myself when I get the time to mess with it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the switch hangs up & doesn’t return COMPLETELY to the run position this will happen. The problem can be the switch, actuator pin assembly or the key cylinder. 3 separate parts that can be gotten at most any parts store or online. The dealer can’t supply the actuator pin if that is your problem. I would take it apart & try turning the switch with a screwdriver to see if it returns OK. If yes then see how the key turns in the cylinder & then the turn the actuator pin with the switch attached. See if you can tell what is causing the resistance. Also check the tip of the pin for cracking, a known problem that will keep the switch from going to the start position if it breaks. If it is cracked & getting ready to break it might be causing this. Here is a video on removing everything, you will need a security t-10 Torx bit as noted in the video. Here are a couple links with similar issues when the assembly hangs up. Wrangler, Liberty, PT Cruiser, Neon Ignition Switch Actuator Pin Repair - YouTube http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/2000-wrangler-ignition-problem-194752.html#post9885818 Jeep wont start (no clicking but has power) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Will look into this thanks very much!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Meastt, sorry that didn't work. I checked and it was my air bag light too so thought for sure you were having the same problem. Looks like Rubi has supplied the fix for you though. I'll have to try his suggestions myself when I get the time to mess with it.
No problem man, I hoped you were right as it was an easy fix!

Thanks guys!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts