Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm thinking about getting a jeep TJ. But my parents are worried about how much the insurance will be on it. I'm a 16 years old male and this will be my first car. Can anyone help me find out how much it will cost?

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Yes, you'll need to discuss this with your parents insurance agent. On your own it will be very expensive.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Rates for my 16yr old were high (got her an '01 XJ, son wants my TJ...lol), but after shopping around, we finally found Progressive had the best package deal for us.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Yes, you'll need to discuss this with your parents insurance agent. On your own it will be very expensive.
True but depending on parents assets may be prudent to purchase separately. Remember the afluenza ahole. His parents and that company paid a lot more than they legally needed to if they were smarter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
The good news is that Jeeps are less costly to insure than many cars are. Insurance actuarial tables, which are primarily responsible for setting the rates, agree that the Wrangler is less costly to repair than most cars are, and they're also safer and people are less likely to be seriously injured in them. That's due to their heavy weight (yes, they are heavier than most cars) due to the heavy steel frame and steel tub (body).

I feel safer with my son driving my full frame Jeep than a unibody car like a Toyota or Chevy.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
The cost of insurance was one of the reasons both my boys started out in a Wrangler

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
When I got my first wrangler at 17(~10 years ago) it cost me almost $2000/yr. I had an umbrella liability policy for teenage boy stuff. You can't carry too much insurance as a young man.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Of the 3 vehicles we own, the TJ is the cheapest to insure my 16 year old daughter. The other two are an 04 Pilot & an 08 Prius.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Youth and testosterone drive up the cost of insurance.
Not to worry, it settles back down around 25 years old.
If you behave!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Im 19 and under my parents insurance still. Geico, 1998 jeep "stock" is 699/6 months. Im currently trying to find a better insurance that can also cover modifications

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm 21 and my tj is covered under progressive and my insurance is $114 a month

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Im 19 and under my parents insurance still. Geico, 1998 jeep "stock" is 699/6 months. Im currently trying to find a better insurance that can also cover modifications
Try AAA. We switched to AAA and saved substantial $$$. And when my TJ was stolen 10 years ago, they covered all its many extras and modifications I had added over the years even though I had never formally notified them of their presence. I just gave them many pages of thorough documentation, receipts, photos, and webpages to show them all.

The benefit to AAA and why they are less expensive than many other insurance companies is they are a not-for-profit insurance company, they are a "mutual" which means AAA is owned by us policy holders.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts