Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody put a jeep j truck front axle in their YJ?

I need to know what tie rods you used for the inner tie rods especially the right inner?

I have the outers done and installed but need the inners I am pretty sure the right inner us too long at 24 Inches, the left inner that goes to the drop pitman arm I am pretty sure is a standard one.

Anyone done this and have the part number for the right inner?

Chief

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I bought a standard size one and took to a local machine shop and had them cut me four more inches of thread and now I can cut it shorter myself.

Just sharing

·
Registered
207 Posts
Can we get pictures? I"m not exactly sure what you are doing. But I am curious.

Dana 44?

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Hey bud...you put the Waggy/fsj truck d44 under there...so when I did mine I used the stock steering setup and just tapered drilled my pitman arm so the one ball joint would fit. I'm also spring over so I put a slight bend in the steering arm (not the ty-rod) so it would clear the leaf spring.
I've since moved to flattop knuckles with hi steer arms so now it's way up there.
Hope this help bud.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Worknox the tie rods are bigger for the j truck axle so I had to change them over they were loose as a goose. I did taper the drop pitman arm though like you described but that was because the tie rod was bigger for the j truck.

Anyway here is another pic with the pitman arm facing forward yes I know it is 180 degrees backward but this is just dry fit for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
C5

That is way more involved than what I am doing mine is 95% stock.

Yours looks great though how has it held up?

Chief

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
C5

That is way more involved than what I am doing mine is 95% stock.

Yours looks great though how has it held up?

Chief
That wasn't mine but that's where I got the idea from. Mine has held up nicely, even came down completely on it on the trail without issue.

I like the heims much better than ball joints because they get noisy when going out unlike a ball joint will just one day give you bad death wabble. I also raised my steering up by about 2.5" by drilling out the tapered holes and doing the tie rod from the top, hardest part was the drag link and steering stabilizer geometry.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
C5

I am getting confused what axle do you have in the front?

My j truck axle the tie rods feed from the top which saved my bacon as the tie rods would have rubbed on the leaf springs if it had feed from the bottom.

Chief

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Ya I looked at both his build thread and his jeep profile and didn't see anything about a front d44...so idk.?
Give me a minute and I'll shoot you a picture of how I did mine. ..I still use the stock Waggy/J truck stuff. I'm going to switch to a set of Harsh Industries arm soon and that will move the tie rod to behind the axle...just have got around to it yet.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
C5

I am getting confused what axle do you have in the front?

My j truck axle the tie rods feed from the top which saved my bacon as the tie rods would have rubbed on the leaf springs if it had feed from the bottom.

Chief
A pos 2003 rubicon 44, not much of an upgrade over a dana 30. Pretty much the same as a dana 30 but with a larger ring and pinion

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My j truck D44 is beefy compared to the D30.

If I put them side by side it would be noticeable.

Also I wanted to be different most people around here were.

Chief

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
My j truck D44 is beefy compared to the D30.

If I put them side by side it would be noticeable.

Also I wanted to be different most people around here were.

Chief
I know, the FSJ dana 44's are pretty beefy. My only complaint is that the front end is a very low pinion and that the rears are usually very offset

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
I know, the FSJ dana 44's are pretty beefy. My only complaint is that the front end is a very low pinion and that the rears are usually very offset
Sorry for stepping in here 89Saharagreen but ...the FSJ 44 is Hella strong and has a ton of benefits over the Rubi glorified d30. The pinion is not a "very" low pinion. .it feeds off the center line to the ring gear. If you need and example of a "very" low pinion take a look at the ford 9 inch. ..now that's a low pinion.
For the rear axle Mr green is running an Isuzu d44...it is centered ...no offset to it. It is a sweet rear axle that comes with disc brakes and can be easily found in junkyards with 410s, 430s or 456's with LSD.
all the write ups on them say they are 58" wide but they also come in 60" ..I have 3 of them plus one in my jeep.

Once again sorry for stepping in bud..sounds like you're almost ready to kick rocks with that bad boy!

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Sorry for stepping in here 89Saharagreen but ...the FSJ 44 is Hella strong and has a ton of benefits over the Rubi glorified d30. The pinion is not a "very" low pinion. .it feeds off the center line to the ring gear. If you need and example of a "very" low pinion take a look at the ford 9 inch. ..now that's a low pinion.
For the rear axle Mr green is running an Isuzu d44...it is centered ...no offset to it. It is a sweet rear axle that comes with disc brakes and can be easily found in junkyards with 410s, 430s or 456's with LSD.
all the write ups on them say they are 58" wide but they also come in 60" ..I have 3 of them plus one in my jeep.

Once again sorry for stepping in bud..sounds like you're almost ready to kick rocks with that bad boy!
Wasn't that I said the rubi 44 is a great axle swap, it's just what I have for now. And the FSJ waggy fronts do have lower pinions then I'd like (even 89's picture above shows it), but so does my rubi 44. I have hit my front driveshaft quite a few times going through rock gardens.

I'm either going to build up a better HP dana 30, or narrow my 78 ford 150 HP dana 44 I have sitting around for myself. 35's are in my future and either will hold up for a front.

I'm also kind of intrigued by your Isuzu dana 44, Does it have the same 6 lug as a FSJ dana 44?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts