Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys first time on a forum so excuse me if i happen to post this is the wrong place but iv been doing some research and have been stuck between two lift choices I'm considering the rock krawler max travel 2.5, i like how this kit comes with a set of adjustable arms because i really wanted to avoid using geometry correction brackets. the second lift I'm considering is the AEV dual sport 2.5 but instead of drop brackets i would probably go with a set of currie adjustable LCAs
my jeep is my daily and i drive 40 miles a day into hollywood so the streets do get kinda crappy in some places also try to go wheeling once a week if not once every other week i enjoy some of the so called black diamond trails here in socal and i want to be able to do more of them which is why i want the extra ground clearance. the only problem I'm running into is i have a few concerns about both these lifts
concern 1: been reading up on this forum and a couple other about how the spings on the rock krawler lift like to bow and how its a bigger issue on the 2 door as apposed to the JKU if anyone has any more information about that i would appreciate if you could explain to me under what circumstances does this happen and how can i avoid it all together
concern 2: is regarding the AEV lift, i feel like they engineered the AEV lift to be a great on road spring but i feel like i wouldn't get the flex that's much needed on the 2 door jeeps
concern 3: since the rock krawler max travel kit advertises all that suspension travel would i have a issue with my front drive shaft if i run exhaust spacers the website recommends a new drive shaft.
also additional details i plan to run a 10-12k winch in the future a JCR front bumper probably the stubby mauler with the stinger so i just want a spring and lift kit that can handle the extra weight well. I also want to know am i better off just piecing together my own lift kit? also it is a 2018 JK if that makes any difference. and i also plan to run a 285/70/17 BFG KM3 tire on the factory Willys black hard rock wheels.

I'm sure you all know which dev kit I'm talking about but here is the rock krawler kit i have been considering
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/suspension-package-deals/jk25mt-2kit-rock-krawler-2-5-max-travel-system-lift-kit-w-shock-options

and for those of you that made it through my post i wanna thank you and i would massively appreciate any help i could get none of my buddies have jeeps and nobody else around me basically so any help i could get from a knowledgable group of people would be great!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank!! I'm very excited to be around people who have had experience and knowledge with these cars and mods

·
Registered
3,133 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,193 Posts
That's only a 32.71 tire. I'm not sure what a black diamond trail is, but that really isnt giving you much clearance over stock at all. If it's anything above "easy" I would come up to a 35 on 2.5. Or else your axles will drag. A suspension lift only raises stuff above the axles. Only way to raise the axle is bigger tires.

Are you planning to gear for larger tires?

Rock Krawler has correction wedges for the rear springs. Mine have a slight bow but...I have been hard core wheeling it 5 years with absolutely no issues so net net does it even matter? The reason is the X Factor arms push the rear axle back to center larger tires in the wheel well.

·
Super Moderator
23,389 Posts
I have had both RK and AEV for what you describe AEV is your better choice. With 285/70-17's you will not be doing anything that is going to limit the AEV 2.5. I have had two sets of rear RK coils sag so I am a little gun shy. The coil bowing will be with any coils that lift you up enough to change your rear pinion angle so that is not brand specific. like was said regardless of what coils you use slap a set of coil wedges in they are cheap. if you are driving 40 miles a day I would go geo brackets. I did nearly every hard trail in moab with the exception of bfe and pritchet canyon on an AEV 2.5 with geo brackets and never had a scratch on the brackets.

Reactions: jdinny and EJKWW

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
I am more of a fan of AEV than RK. And if I was going with a more hard core lift than the AEV lift I would go with MetalCloak. But that is just me. The AEV 2.5" lift is nice, as mentioned. With geometry brackets it should ride great. If you really want more, the AEV 3.5" lift is what my sister in-law has on her JK. But many go with a 2.5" lift on a JK. Also, the tire size plays a part in how much lift you should get. It looks funny when you have a tall lift and small tires. I would suggest larger tires, like the aforementioned 35's. But larger tires open up the gearing can of worms. If you increase the size of your tires you are changing the over all gearing. If you don't re-gear to counter that your Jeep will be slower and less capable. Re-gearing to match the size of the larger tires is fairly cheap (compared to what we spend on things like lifts, tires, and wheels) but it does mean having a shop do it as it is beyond the skill set of most home mechanics.

·
Super Moderator
23,389 Posts
also for tires might want to look at 255/80-17 they are taller than 285/70-17 so give a little more ground clearance but light and work very well on stock rims.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jdinny , thanks for the input i have actually skimmed through that before but since you and looks like a lot of others are saying GCBs are the way to go I'm starting to lean in that direction .

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jadmt , that a very good point i would like the taller and lighter tire its just on the JL that size looks great and the added contact patch was appealing to me but then again i would like the ground clearance for my axles more, the lighter weight, and the cheaper cost. my concern was that the stock jk arms i know a lot went into engineering the arms they just look a bit flimsy to me didn't want to get stuck out somewhere and the thicker solid aftermarket arms out there appealed to me but i can always do that later as i see fit. Also i noticed you have a winch and bumper how do the AEV springs handle it, will i need a spring spacer? another thing is how is the suspension travel on it are you able to get a good amount of flex out of the spring and shock combo.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mommymallcrawler
black diamond is just a difficulty classification for the socal trails and black diamond being technically the most difficult, although nothing insane to be honest its still really fun and technical. i went through most of one here and I'm addicted and i want to build my rig accordingly. and yes i sadly know the only way to get my axles higher is bigger tires but I'm trying to avoid 35s on my 3.73 i do plan to regear once i get some wear into these diffs jeep only has 12k i would feel bad tossing out perfectly good parts.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@GuzziMoto i was actually considering the 3.5 as my first option but i knew i wasn't going to do 35s anytime soon, i actually wrench at a dealership so I'm not worried about doing the work as far as regearing goes i spend too much on tools so i have that covered, i have a lift and all the shop luxuries, its just my jeep has 12k on it and i was saving regearing for when these current diffs wear out whichever goes first then they both get new gears

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@jadmt
do you think the AEV kit would pair nicely with the currie anti rock for the front instead of quick discos? and as far as the AEV springs go have you noticed any sag or loss in ride height after many miles and trails?

·
Super Moderator
23,389 Posts
@jadmt
do you think the AEV kit would pair nicely with the currie anti rock for the front instead of quick discos? and as far as the AEV springs go have you noticed any sag or loss in ride height after many miles and trails?
I can not say how they would do with the anti rock as I am not familiar with them but no sagging and they do not have a history of sagging.

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
@GuzziMoto i was actually considering the 3.5 as my first option but i knew i wasn't going to do 35s anytime soon, i actually wrench at a dealership so I'm not worried about doing the work as far as regearing goes i spend too much on tools so i have that covered, i have a lift and all the shop luxuries, its just my jeep has 12k on it and i was saving regearing for when these current diffs wear out whichever goes first then they both get new gears
Diffs typically don't wear out. Then can fail, but they should not do that either. Re-gearing is something that many do t regain lost performance when they up-size to larger tires, because the larger tires change the gearing for the worse. Re-gearing can either correct that change or go further and add more performance than it had stock. What gears did your Jeep come with stock?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Diffs typically don't wear out. Then can fail, but they should not do that either. Re-gearing is something that many do t regain lost performance when they up-size to larger tires, because the larger tires change the gearing for the worse. Re-gearing can either correct that change or go further and add more performance than it had stock. What gears did your Jeep come with stock?
bearings do wear out man, and when they start to get noisy and sloppy.
my jeep came with 3.73s

·
Super Moderator
5,605 Posts
bearings do wear out man, and when they start to get noisy and sloppy.
my jeep came with 3.73s
Yes they do. But the bearings in your diff are lubricated by the gear oil and should last at least as long as the bearings in your engine. Non lubricated bearings, like wheel bearings, tend to wear out after a while. But as long as you keep the gear oil in your diff in good shape, and change it if you get water in it, those bearings in your diff should last a really long time, if not longer.
3.73 gears aren't as bad as the 3.21 gears. And that does mean if you don't go much bigger than stock tires you may still be happy. Personally, we found the 3.73 gears to be too tall even for the stock size tires ours came with. But much of that depends on you, your expectations, where you live / drive, and how you use your Jeep.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes they do. But the bearings in your diff are lubricated by the gear oil and should last at least as long as the bearings in your engine. Non lubricated bearings, like wheel bearings, tend to wear out after a while. But as long as you keep the gear oil in your diff in good shape, and change it if you get water in it, those bearings in your diff should last a really long time, if not longer.
3.73 gears aren't as bad as the 3.21 gears. And that does mean if you don't go much bigger than stock tires you may still be happy. Personally, we found the 3.73 gears to be too tall even for the stock size tires ours came with. But much of that depends on you, your expectations, where you live / drive, and how you use your Jeep.
yeah in a perfect world i see too many things go wrong earlier than they're supposed to, so what tire size would you personally recommend for 3.73 i currently have the stock 255 bfg mt

1 - 20 of 26 Posts