Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put quite a bit of money into my Jeep. I do not have a garage yet, so it sits outside and I would like to have something that if it was stolen I could get it back, either GPS track it or I seen lo-jack? Sorry if this is already a thread, I searched on the forum and I kept getting directed to YJ threads and didn''t know if it was the same stuff. Plus, the posts were from 2009 and 2012, so I didn't know if they made a newer version of anti theft. Thanks in advance for the replies!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Lojack I don't believe will help me...I thought it was the jack you can mount to your jeep and I am almost 100% think I am right....lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
In a 23 year law enforcement career I saw very few vehicles stolen that had a club on the steering wheel. Of course that won't keep the Jeep from being towed away.
Lo-Jack is a tracking/monitoring system that works closely with law enforcement in most areas. As soon as the car is reported stolen to LE Lo-Jack will activate the tracking. We had tracking units in many of our cars and could track the stolen vehicle ourselves. Officers thought it was great fun to recover a car and hopefully catch the bad guy this way.
You can check Lo-Jack out on line. Just Google it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Agree on both the club and Lojack. Lojack now has a feature that will text, call and email you if the vehicle is moved without a key fob you place on a keychain. Just last week the battery wore out in my fob. I got a call and text within 5 minutes of me moving the car. I was very impressed!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I was thinking about The Club, but don't want another key to carry/lose. I use a number of the BOLT locks and just sent an email to them suggesting a club like product might be a good addition to their line up.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In a 23 year law enforcement career I saw very few vehicles stolen that had a club on the steering wheel. Of course that won't keep the Jeep from being towed away.
Lo-Jack is a tracking/monitoring system that works closely with law enforcement in most areas. As soon as the car is reported stolen to LE Lo-Jack will activate the tracking. We had tracking units in many of our cars and could track the stolen vehicle ourselves. Officers thought it was great fun to recover a car and hopefully catch the bad guy this way.
Awesome! Thanks for the reply! I like the idea of the officers catching them...the reason I have asked this question is I am moving out of my parents house (pretty nice subdivision) and into an apartment complex. So, I just thought to be on the safe side and just look into it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agree on both the club and Lojack. Lojack now has a feature that will text, call and email you if the vehicle is moved without a key fob you place on a keychain. Just last week the battery wore out in my fob. I got a call and text within 5 minutes of me moving the car. I was very impressed!
LoJack sounds like something I am going to look into more and that is what I was trying to find/think about. Thanks again!

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have a club but was also thinking about having a kill switch installed, does anyone have one of those on their jeep and how difficult is it to have it installed?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also, with you being in the law enforcement do you know of any where I can get the best price on the Lo-Jack? On their website it is listed for $695, which I am not complaining, just wondering if you knew anywhere I could get it for cheaper.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
The Club and all the variants I've seen are worthless. They can be defeated within a couple of minutes using basic tools.

LoJack is sold through area franchisee dealers. There is one price for the basic system. Different levels of protection add additional charges. There are no sales on LoJack. Keep in mind that it is for a given period of time [about 5 years] and to have it renewed, you have to pay a substantial "inspection fee" to have a tech come out to inspect it and re-flash it if needed.

Pulling fuses, kill switches, and immobilizing systems are defeated by flatbed tow trucks or stinger equipped 3/4 ton and 1 ton P/U trucks. Repo folks deal with this stuff all the time.

·
Formerly Tombstone17
1,640 Posts
The Ravelco works with LoJack system and doesn't affect it, it just keeps it from being hot wired or lock slammed to start it........

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Club and all the variants I've seen are worthless. They can be defeated within a couple of minutes using basic tools.

LoJack is sold through area franchisee dealers. There is one price for the basic system. Different levels of protection add additional charges. There are no sales on LoJack. Keep in mind that it is for a given period of time [about 5 years] and to have it renewed, you have to pay a substantial "inspection fee" to have a tech come out to inspect it and re-flash it if needed.

Pulling fuses, kill switches, and immobilizing systems are defeated by flatbed tow trucks or stinger equipped 3/4 ton and 1 ton P/U trucks. Repo folks deal with this stuff all the time.
I agree with 2five22 that The Club et al can be defeated. A thief (or repo) that is determined to take your particular vehicle will almost always be able to do so (even out of a garage). The trick is to make your vehicle harder to steal than the average vehicle and encourage the thief to move on to an easier target.
He is right about no sales on LoJack. But boy does that system work well if your Jeep is taken. You have to weigh the cost of the LoJack against the odds of your Jeep being stolen. Your local Police or government should be able to give you stats on vehicle thefts by area. Many agencies have these stats on line.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Isn't it true that the vehicles with navigation can be tracked, doors locked, unlocked from thin air now days?
No. GPS is strictly one-way.

Some models that have a cellular connection can do this though.

·
Registered
190 Posts
No. GPS is strictly one-way. Some models that have a cellular connection can do this though.
And the first thing a good car thief will do is rip off the module that controls the two way communications and throw it out the window.

GM's Onstar is super easy for them in models where the rear view mirror is the controller.

No solutions like passive anti theft keys keep your car from being towed away.

LoJack takes too long to find or disable and will track the car while it's being towed. It is easily the best way to recover the vehicle, though it won't keep it from being stolen in the first place.

It's better than nothing.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I just had a viper system installed yesterday with motion and it seems to be a pretty good alarm system, surely not cheap. If my windows are off and someone reaches inside it will go off. It may be overkill but I also have a club for those times when I park at the train station, which is rare.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
A few weeks ago I had the Viper 5706V alarm installed along with "Smart Start GPS" what allows for GPS tracking and remote start/stop from anywhere in the US with their app on your smart phone. You pay $199 for 3 years for the Smart Start add-on but worth the piece of mind. It also sends me E-Mails and text messages if the alarm goes off. I also added Directed (aka Viper) Duel Zone Motion Sensor (part#508D), Directed (aka Viper) Glass Break/Audio sensor (part#506T), Directed (aka Viper) Battery Backup Power Supply (part#520T), Directed (aka Viper) Luminescent Armed Indicator Light (part#620V), can never have to many sensors :winner:. Wasn't cheap but worth it IMO.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts