Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A multi-function switch, just as the name suggests, controls several different functions related to the lights of your Jeep. Using this one switch you turn on the headlights, fog lights, control turn signals, dashboard lights and dome lights.
Unfortunately there might come a time when you notice that something about your lights doesn’t seem right. There could be a few different reasons for your lights or dash indicators to start acting strange.
First thing you should always check is the light bulbs. Unless you have all LED lights, check your headlights and turn signals to make sure that all light bulbs work. You might have a fuse that is damaged and needs replacing. You can inspect the fuses an replace the damaged one.
The most common reason for your lights and turn signals not working properly is the multi-function switch failure. Over time some connections inside the switch might become loose and cause problems. You can inspect the switch lever and check whether it stays firmly in each position or if there is some play.
With loose connections, your dashboard lights, dome lights, fogs, or even headlights might randomly flicker or come on unexpectedly, which can be very dangerous. You might encounter problems with your turn signals as well.
The reason I decided to replace the multifunction switch on my Jeep, was due to the fact that my turn signals started acting strange. While turning right and activating the right turn signal by pulling the lever up, the left turn signal would come on first and flash once, and only after that the right turn signal would come on. It has been going on very randomly for the last couple of weeks and it started to drive me crazy, not to mention it was probably irritating other drivers behind me.
Another problem with the turn signal you might experience is that it doesn’t automatically shut off after you complete the turn. I have not personally have that problem, but I hear it is unfortunately a common issue.

Replacing a Jeep JK multi-function switch is a very easy and quick task. The procedure is the same for all 2007-2018 JK’s. The entire project should take about 30 minutes and you only need few tools.

There's too many steps and pictures to paste them all in here.
You can find the full post with all details on my site:
https://azoffroading.com/blog/jeep-jk-multi-function-switch-replacement/

Here are few photos to give you the idea of what the project is about:
Jeep JK Multi-function switch 001.jpg

Jeep JK Multi-function switch 002.jpg

Jeep JK Multi-function switch 003.jpg

Jeep JK Multi-function switch 004.jpg

Jeep JK Multi-function switch 005.jpg

1 - 1 of 1 Posts