Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I just bought my first jeep (2013 Sport 2dr) and was wondering if anyone knows what setup I could run as a roof rack to support the Smittybuilt Overlander Roof Tent, because all the ones I found only held about 300lb for my 2 door jeep. If you know what roof rack I could use to support the RTT that would be great and thanks in advance.

(https://www.extremeterrain.com/smittybilt-olverlander-roof-tent-8717.html)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use a RhinoRack on my Unlimited, as the 3 bar setup allows up to 220 lbs. Generally, the rack’s rating is for a dynamic load so I just worry about the weight of the tent itself for when driving. There is no issue with a heavier load for stationary ‘sleeping’ when the tent is deployed and occupied.

I did a lot of hunting around as I did not want to fasten rails to the hardtop gutter, and didn’t want a cage as I run a soft top in the summer. The RhinoRack transfers all the weight to the rollbar and sill using an internal frame that doesn’t interfere with hard top removal. It is a really sweet setup and well worth the investment; I did have mine professionally installed due to lack of workspace at home, but it looked like an afternoon’s work. The shop was very impressed with the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hello everyone I just bought my first jeep (2013 Sport 2dr) and was wondering if anyone knows what setup I could run as a roof rack to support the Smittybuilt Overlander Roof Tent, because all the ones I found only held about 300lb for my 2 door jeep. If you know what roof rack I could use to support the RTT that would be great and thanks in advance.

(https://www.extremeterrain.com/smittybilt-olverlander-roof-tent-8717.html)
Frontrunners roof rack is the way to go. They have two models for the JK, a short and a full roof. I advise you to get the full rack, and you can actually call them up to place the order and tell them to add the short side rails it cost about another 45$ to 80$ for the short side rails, so you can have the option to run a short or long rack configuration

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
We use the TF Nebo on our JKU for the RTT

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have the Rhino Rack Backbone on my 2 door. While I dont ever intend it for a roof top tent I would not hesitate to mount one up there.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have the same tent, mounted on the Kargo Master Safari "Congo Cage Sport".
Kargo Master is a Northern California company, and I feel their stuff is a tremendous value. Also, with this rack I did not need crossbars to mount the tent, I purchased some longer bolts and the Smittybilt mounting system worked fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the responses, not sure which one to get yet, but I will take all of your comments into consideration.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts