Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 2008 Jeep JK 2 door with a hard top. I found an OEM 2013 JK soft top unused and need to find out of the 2013 top is backward compatible with my 2008. The new top has all of the hardware, surrounds, etc. that came with it.

I've searched several of the threads and cannot find a definitive answer. One said the OEM soft tops fit all models 2007-current and others talk about the hardware or top bracket not fitting right.

It's a great deal but I don't want to buy something that does not work. Can anyone tell me for sure if the 2013 fits or if I can make it fit 100% and what I would need to do?

Thanks for your help - Jimmy

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I think the middle footman loop on the header panel changed location, but that doesn't matter with a soft top since it's not used anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys, thank you for trying to help out.
Still confused. Just called 2 Jeep dealerships. One told me it will not fit because the hardware is different and the other one told me no problem. Wow.

I guess all I can do is see if the seller will give me a couple of minutes to try and put the thing together and see what happens. If I ever find out I'll post a reply so anyone else with the same question will know.

And MTNJeep, I looked at the fit I looked at the Quadratec site and I'm still not sure if it's the exact same soft top and components as the original OEM version but thanks for the link.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I think the middle footman loop on the header panel changed location, but that doesn't matter with a soft top since it's not used anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
The only time it matters is with old soft top hardware. The 2010+ header has a wide gap in the header that accommodates both the original and updated footman loop locations. The original 07-09 header did not and if you attempt to use it on a 2010+ wrangler the header will bulge in the middle and not seal because there is no clearance for the loop - it'll push against the plastic header.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Still confused. Just called 2 Jeep dealerships. One told me it will not fit because the hardware is different and the other one told me no problem. Wow.

I guess all I can do is see if the seller will give me a couple of minutes to try and put the thing together and see what happens. If I ever find out I'll post a reply so anyone else with the same question will know.

And MTNJeep, I looked at the fit I looked at the Quadratec site and I'm still not sure if it's the exact same soft top and components as the original OEM version but thanks for the link.
If all hardware is present, regardless of if it's OEM, it'll fit. All 2007-2017 soft tops will fit a 2008 Jeep because all soft tops built since 2009 are backwards compatible. Pre-09 soft tops are not forward compatible with newer Jeeps.

That's all there is to it.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts

I think that means that if the new top comes with the door surrounds, header panel, top frame and roll bar mounts, tailgate bar and tailgate bar clips, you're probably fine.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all of you for your advice. This is much better than talking to the dealers...
I'll let you know how I make out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts