Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, sorry if I'm posting this on the wrong forum this is my first day on here. I have a question for you more knowledgeable folk. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Basically my whole front steering components need replacement. Tie rod, track bar, drag link, and steering damper. However, I've noticed that the actual ends on my tie rod are the ones that are worn out. The rod has some slight surface rust but it looks good (to me). My question is, can I simply buy and replace the ends or do I need to buy the whole tie rod? Not sure if it's stock.

Also, I got my jeep the way it is with a 2.5 lift. I'm still new to jeeps but after some research I've discovered high steer drag links. Am I currently running one? It does go over the top so my guess is yes but can someone confirm? If yes, should I replace it with the same type although I'm running on my 2.5 lift (I've read it has to be over 3 inches to properly run a high steer) or should I buy a normal one?

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Retired Moderator
102,503 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.
You are in the correct Forum.

@Pressurized (Rod), He is very knowleagable on lifts. So I tagged him for you.

Reactions: Drinkmorewater

·
Registered
318 Posts
You should be fine as long as you are comfortable with a reduced amount of travel to accommodate a flipped draglink. You can't lower the draglink without lowering the track bar; they need to work together. The draglink looks like an OEM right-hand drive draglink that is used for the flip kit. There are other options available but I the low lift height selection is very important if you want to minimize clearance issues.

I successfully ran a Teraflex flipped drag link at 2.5" lift before I upgraded to 3.5" lift. I did heat and bend the drag link slightly to maximize my clearance and run with minimal bump stop spacers. Some aftermarket drag links are very big or don't have much of a bend to assist with clearance. You have to decide what you like.

Here is a picture of my Teraflex Drag link with slight bend added for additional clearance
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Super Moderator
7,363 Posts
Hello, sorry if I'm posting this on the wrong forum this is my first day on here. I have a question for you more knowledgeable folk. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Basically my whole front steering components need replacement. Tie rod, track bar, drag link, and steering damper. However, I've noticed that the actual ends on my tie rod are the ones that are worn out. The rod has some slight surface rust but it looks good (to me). My question is, can I simply buy and replace the ends or do I need to buy the whole tie rod? Not sure if it's stock.

Also, I got my jeep the way it is with a 2.5 lift. I'm still new to jeeps but after some research I've discovered high steer drag links. Am I currently running one? It does go over the top so my guess is yes but can someone confirm? If yes, should I replace it with the same type although I'm running on my 2.5 lift (I've read it has to be over 3 inches to properly run a high steer) or should I buy a normal one?

View attachment 4522972
It looks like you have a flipped draglink and raised trackbar bracket. You should only run both of those or neither of those. To run the flipped draglink and raised trackbar bracket you have a lot of front bumpstop extension it looks like. That is normal, but at 2.5” of lift that leaves you with next to no front suspension up travel. I would not want to run a Jeep like that. I would either remove the flipped draglink and raised trackbar bracket ( it really isn’t doing you any good anyway ) or add the required parts for a larger lift. Removing the flipped draglink and raised trackbar bracket would be the more budget friendly way to go. No real reason to put a bunch of effort into making the flipped draglink and raised trackbar bracket work with only a 2.5” lift, it just isn’t worth it. There is no advantage to making that combination work.

You can buy tie rod ends and replace them. But a better tie rod is not that expensive and will be easier to replace. Your tie rod doesn’t look stock, so first you would have to figure out what it is so you could get the proper ends.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
4,170 Posts
Looking at the knuckles, they are pretty filthy. I'd guess you have leaks in the front axle seals. If you are tearing that apart (most guys with a lift replace the axles with something a lot more stout than OEM for not much more money. You can replace just the seals, but since the axle needs removed to do that (old ones pressed off and new pressed on), my money would go to new axles which includes seals. I'd replace the ball joints while I had it apart too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking at the knuckles, they are pretty filthy. I'd guess you have leaks in the front axle seals. If you are tearing that apart (most guys with a lift replace the axles with something a lot more stout than OEM for not much more money. You can replace just the seals, but since the axle needs removed to do that (old ones pressed off and new pressed on), my money would go to new axles which includes seals. I'd replace the ball joints while I had it apart too.
What parts do you recommend? I'll take a look at them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should be fine as long as you are comfortable with a reduced amount of travel to accommodate a flipped draglink. You can't lower the draglink without lowering the track bar; they need to work together. The draglink looks like an OEM right-hand drive draglink that is used for the flip kit. There are other options available but I the low lift height selection is very important if you want to minimize clearance issues.

I successfully ran a Teraflex flipped drag link at 2.5" lift before I upgraded to 3.5" lift. I did heat and bend the drag link slightly to maximize my clearance and run with minimal bump stop spacers. Some aftermarket drag links are very big or don't have much of a bend to assist with clearance. You have to decide what you like.

Here is a picture of my Teraflex Drag link with slight bend added for additional clearance
View attachment 4522978 .
What would you personally recommend? Should I replace the parts with existing setup or switch it back?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks like you have a flipped draglink and raised trackbar bracket. You should only run both of those or neither of those. To run the flipped draglink and raised trackbar bracket you have a lot of front bumpstop extension it looks like. That is normal, but at 2.5” of lift that leaves you with next to no front suspension up travel. I would not want to run a Jeep like that. I would either remove the flipped draglink and raised trackbar bracket ( it really isn’t doing you any good anyway ) or add the required parts for a larger lift. Removing the flipped draglink and raised trackbar bracket would be the more budget friendly way to go. No real reason to put a bunch of effort into making the flipped draglink and raised trackbar bracket work with only a 2.5” lift, it just isn’t worth it. There is no advantage to making that combination work.

You can buy tie rod ends and replace them. But a better tie rod is not that expensive and will be easier to replace. Your tie rod doesn’t look stock, so first you would have to figure out what it is so you could get the proper ends.
Gotcha. I definitely want to go the budget friendly way. So if I switch back all I would have to do is remove the bracket? New parts should bolt right on without any other adjustments? Yeah I have no idea as to what brand tie rod that is so I'll likely have to get a completely new one.

·
Registered
318 Posts
What would you personally recommend? Should I replace the parts with existing setup or switch it back?
I don't do what is popular so take that into consideration on my opinion. My Jeep was my daily driver so I went to GREAT EXPENSIVE to make it handle very well. At 2.5" lift and 37s I was running front drop brackets, 8 adjustable control arms, aftermarket high caster front axle, flipped draglink, raised track bars front and back. Originally I planned to stay at 2.5" but added 1" spacers after I started doing harder trails and purchased an additional vehicle.

You can make a flipped draglink work at 2.5" lift with careful planning. If you want to keep it but need to replace the draglink I would recommend the Teraflex one but find a friend that can heat and apply a bend in a shop press. I'm sure there are other that will work but I didn't research further after purchasing and bending the draglink. The lower track bar bushing contacts the frame only at the extremes of articulation provided by my 6Pak shocks and Metalcloak Overline fenders with approximately 2" of bumpstops. It is only 1" bumpstop extension with firmer more progressive Sumospring bumpstop. There is a good chance that more traditional fenders and shocks could limit uptravel before the lower track bar bushing will contact the frame. This winter I plan to notch the frame for the final increase of clearance. If you have to pay someone else to do the work it will be hard to find the right shop and it will be expensive. It is probably not worth it. If you decide on staying with a flipped draglink you help future-proof you Jeep if you get the bug.
Your tie rod looks like Synergy and they make good parts and sell replacement ends.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
4,170 Posts
What parts do you recommend? I'll take a look at them.
Most heavy duty units are priced roughly the same. I run Synergy's now, but Teraflex is popular and their warranty department is probably one of the best around. Also Dana Spicer, DV8 and Dynatrac are terrific companies. Avoid aftermarket OEM replacements like Omix and Opar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts